Texas Hunting Forum

Poundage Question

Posted By: polishpreacher

Poundage Question - 10/05/16 04:44 PM

I recently got drawn to do an archery hunt in South Texas that has the possibility of nilgai, even if that is a very rare chance. What i am curious is if anyone here has bow hunted them before and if so, what is the suggested draw weight for hunting one successfully. My bow is set around 60, though may have relaxed to about 57. That from what i understand is fine for whitetails, but what about the nilgai? everything i have read says they have a tough hide that covers their vitals and i want to be prepared in case the opportunity presents itself. I use Hartcraft fixed blade broadheads 100 grain also.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Poundage Question - 10/05/16 04:47 PM

I would think your arrow and broad head choice would be more important than the poundage of your bow.

Re: Poundage Question - 10/05/16 04:49 PM

i am open to any advice, so if arrow and broadhead suggestions are given, i will gladly take them!!!
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Poundage Question - 10/05/16 05:28 PM

Make sure you have a heavy duty fixed blade, cut-on-contact broadhead. confused2
Posted By: Dupi

Re: Poundage Question - 10/07/16 06:19 AM

Black eagle carnivore with dirt nap drt
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Poundage Question - 10/07/16 03:24 PM

Your 57 to 60lbs should work fine just use a good cut on contact broad head and heavy arrow.

There are several arrows that can get heavy, Griz Stick, Easton FMJ, the black eagles above and Axis with weighted insert tubes from 3Riversarchery.com. Any of those should work well.

If I were setting up for Nilgia it would be Easton Axis arrows with the 75gr brass inserts, and 3GPI inserts tipped with G5 Montec 125gr brosdheads. Basically my traditional arrows with Montec heads instead of Stingers

Re: Poundage Question - 10/07/16 07:01 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys!!! got a chance to look at my arrows. I use a Warrior 340 8.9 gpi. This was the arrow i was suggested to use when i got my bow a few years ago when getting into bow hunting. I also use a 100 grain Hartcraft broadhead, this one here i believe: http://www.bloodsportarchery.com/broadheads/fixed-blade/wraith-fixed-blade-broadhead-system-widecut

also use the "deep-cut" that they have as well. It was suggested as i bought the bow in Fredericksburg and the broadheads are made in that area as well and were used by the guys in the shop. Hope this helps me get the right info as to how to gear up for this hunt. Like i said before, this is a whitetail hunt with the chance to take a nilgai if i see one. I am simply wanting to be prepared on the off chance one steps out. Thanks!!!
Posted By: cva34

Re: Poundage Question - 10/08/16 01:01 PM

Heavy Arrows and check anatomy on Nilai The kill zone is not where you think it should be...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum