Texas Hunting Forum

State record for youth archery kill

Posted By: Cstand

State record for youth archery kill - 10/04/16 05:53 PM

Hello folks brand new to this forum and was wondering where you find the state records for youth archery in Texas. I can find the record for rifles but not for archery. Got a big one on our place I'm going to let my 10year old son hunt that I think might be pretty darn close. Just curious thanks in advance. Cody
Posted By: passthru

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/04/16 08:28 PM

Well I will say it. I dont think you are doing your son any favors putting him on a big deer that young. When he kills a huge one up front, what does he have to look forward to at 40 years old? I don't think kids appreciate what a big deer is. And when they make a bad shot and lose it they don't appreciate what they lost. I've seen it go south on more than one youth whose dad went that direction. A couple of them don't even hunt anymore. 2cents
Posted By: Indyoshi

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/04/16 08:54 PM

edit: I didnt read or think..you asked about archery...in the bow forum. Lol

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/h...-whitetail-buck

Not sure if this is accurate or out dated.

I think thats cool. I didnt start young, but im pretty sure if I got a 200" deer my first time that wouldnt stop me from hunting. I dont care about trophies anyways. I just want to hunt and fill my freezer. Check this out:
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/04/16 09:00 PM

I was about 10 when I first started hunting. I killed a nice six point buck and that was a trophy to me.
Kids at that age aren't that hard to impress!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/04/16 09:15 PM

I do not see where it said in the OP that this was his first buck. Hunt the deer for the hunt, not any record.

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 12:42 AM

Passthru. I have contemplated this for a while now and have decided to let him try to take him if the chance permits itself. I have the blind set up so the shot will be at 12 yards. My son is mature beyond his years and if I thought that there is a chance of it ruining him on hunting then I certainly wouldn't let him try. But can you imagine yourself at 10 yrs old having a chance to shoot a record book deer. We shoot 50 arrows a night so I can make sure he is confident in shot placement because the last thing I want to happen is to wound a deer of this caliber. I don't hunt anymore so it wouldn't mean to me what it would mean to him to be able to harvest a deer like this. I don't even know if he could be the state record but I will say that he is pushing 200 inches real hard. I will be in the stand with him at all times to help coach him through the shakes if he presents the opportunity. All I have is nighttime pics so we may not ever get the chance at him. As far as never seeing another one of this caliber we bought 62 acres a mile from hagerman game refuge and have a main feeder creek that runs through our property that feeds lake texoma. The area is known for 200 inch deer. We will just have to see how it plays out

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 12:58 AM

I wish him a great hunt and great memories.

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 01:10 AM

Thank you very much sir
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 01:42 AM

Cstand I wish you and your son good luck on his hunt for the old mossyback! I look forward to pictures and a story when this hunt is complete.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 01:45 AM

welcome Your son, your deer, your way!!!

The experience alone will be worth it, even if he doesn't connect. Best wishes to you both and look forward to seeing the results of your success cheers

Now...for the important part...let's see the pictures popcorn
Posted By: Erny

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
Cstand I wish you and your son good luck on his hunt for the old mossyback! I look forward to pictures and a story when this hunt is complete.

X2

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 02:08 AM

Thank you guys very much. Pics huh???

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 02:09 AM

Sorry I don't know how to turn them. Just a farm boy with very little technology know how

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 02:10 AM

Cstand, I also wish you luck and think it's great to let your son try for that big buck.
I'm a little curious if that would be your son's first attempt at a deer with a bow?

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 02:11 AM

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 02:13 AM

That is a big old buck there. Good luck to you and your son on the hunt for him. cheers

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 02:14 AM

I hate to say it but yes it would be his first deer period. I know I will get criticism over it but I've got tough skin I can handle it. We never expected to see a deer like this on our first time putting cameras out. We've only owned this place for a month and get pics of him every night. The time are wrong on the cam. I'm going to put a different camera out this weekend to find out what time of night he is coming
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 02:58 AM

Kill That Deer!

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 03:01 AM

Heck of a buck!!!

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 11:36 AM

Great buck!...We'll be waiting for the pictures of your son's first kill! up
Posted By: Indyoshi

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 02:57 PM

Holy wow... good luck to your son!
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 05:31 PM

First deer ever a bruin that many spend there entire lives trying to find...I'm with passthru on this. You get pickier about what you want to kill more than just enjoying the hunt. 2cents
Posted By: TCB

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/05/16 07:57 PM

I'm willing to be adopted if you need another hunting buddy. blush
Posted By: Buddy

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/06/16 08:15 PM

Sounds like some good time to spend with your son, deer or no deer. Best of luck and enjoy the time!

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/06/16 10:20 PM

Well after much consideration I have decided that my boy doesn't need to be shooting at this deer with his bow. I just don't think it will be a good idea. So we will wait till the 29th when he can use a crossbow I feel much more comfortable with him shooting his crossbow!!!

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/06/16 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Cstand
Well after much consideration I have decided that my boy doesn't need to be shooting at this deer with his bow. I just don't think it will be a good idea. So we will wait till the 29th when he can use a crossbow I feel much more comfortable with him shooting his crossbow!!!

Only one that can make that decision is you cheers

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/07/16 01:41 AM

You, or rather he, can use a crossbow now. They can be used in the archery only season.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/07/16 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru

You, or rather he, can use a crossbow now. They can be used in the archery only
season.

Not in Collin, Dallas or Grayson Counties. Those you have to wait until the General Season ot Youth weekend for it to hunt with a crossbow.

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/07/16 02:03 AM

Huh. Never hunted in those counties. How does a county supersede state law on those things?

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/07/16 02:21 AM

From what I understand they can do that because they have never had a firearms season. I've contacted the game wardens and It took them an hour and a half to come up with how to interpret the rules on this. I asked them if it was so hard for them to determine what it should be how were we supposed to know. They said they were going to try to have it more clarified by next year

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/07/16 02:22 AM

Rockwall county is the same way
Posted By: kmon11

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/07/16 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Huh. Never hunted in those counties. How does a county supersede state law on those things?

Not superseding state law, it is state law.

Quote:
An archery endorsement is required to hunt deer during the Archery-Only Open Season. An archery endorsement is required to hunt deer at any time in Collin, Dallas, Grayson and Rockwall counties, including during the general open season (Nov. 5, 2016 - Jan.1, 2017).

They put that in the means and methods section of the annual booklet, I think it should also be in those counties season dates section. Thought it once was.

Cstand you are correct I forgot Rockwall county was also this way.
Posted By: Grayson

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/23/16 12:12 AM

Any luck on this monster yet?!?!?!

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/23/16 08:25 PM

No sir. Still coming in at 830 at night and 4 in the morning. Grrrr
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/23/16 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
First deer ever a bruin that many spend there entire lives trying to find...I'm with passthru on this. You get pickier about what you want to kill more than just enjoying the hunt. 2cents

So what your telling me is that you would pass that buck up because you are a young hunter right?
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/25/16 08:31 PM

Hope your son gets him, but that is one hell of a deer for anyone much less a ten year old.
you haven't said what poundage bow and type of arrow broadhead your son is shooting.
If he can control the shakes on a deer like that he is lot better than me, and I have been bow hunting for over 50 years. Forrest
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/26/16 05:55 AM

My kids watch too much hunting TV and read too many hunting magazines. They think deer like that are behind every bush!

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/26/16 12:49 PM

My son is using a mission craze 2 by Mathews. It is set at 48lbs. Shooting slick trick broad head 100grain. The pop up I set up for hime will be a shot of 10 to 15 yards. 12 yards to the feed pile. Talked to my bow shop and they said the arrow should be a pass through at that distance.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/27/16 04:06 PM

Good LAWD that's a HOSS! I'm from Denison and have seen some bucks like that over in that area. Good luck to you and him!
P.S. I need a place to hunt lol
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: State record for youth archery kill - 10/27/16 09:08 PM

I wonder how many folks out there have pics of that same deer with plans to hang it over their mantle?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum