Texas Hunting Forum

Important features for elk hunting

Posted By: Cleric

Important features for elk hunting - 09/05/16 12:37 AM

So I want to get a bow in the next 2-6 months. I am going to use it for deer season for a couple of years and hopefully elk after that

This will be my first bow. What are important features to look for?
W
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/05/16 02:27 AM

My 2 cents. Shoot every bow you can get your hands on in your price range. Don't get hung up on brands etc. buy the one that just feels right. There are tons of different things each now gives or does not too many to list or talk about.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/05/16 12:07 PM

Look for one that is comfortable. I consider shock, vibration and noise on release. Smoothness of draw, how solid is the wall (the place at full draw) and making sure it doesn't have cam torque or limb twist issues. Make sure the grip feels good, there are different designs. And don't over weight on the draw. Shoot what you can draw and shoot many times comfortably.
Posted By: catfishsalsa

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/06/16 03:56 AM

Just needs to have the it factor as far as how it feels
Posted By: BDB

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/07/16 02:33 AM

Watch as many deer hunting shows as possible. When you see a hollywood hunter hit a deer to far back...turn to the camera and fist bumps the cameraman and claim "I just smoked him" look at his bow and go get the same one.

lol. In all seriousness, take the advise above and get the one that feels the best in your hand and on the shot. If a couple are in a tie....let noise on release dictate the winner...if still a tie, let cost determine the winner.

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/07/16 03:36 AM

This may be hard to answer to a non bow person, but what type of feel is there? Would the feel be different for different people?

Interestingly enough noise was brought up by many people but I wouldn't of that of that being an issue
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/07/16 04:10 AM

Some good advice so far. There are lots of bows out there that will send an arrow into the right spot with enough force to get the job done if the hunter does theirs. Almost all the time the bow that fits an feels good to the hunter shooting it will be the best bow for that hunter. I prefer a bow with enough valley at the backwall so if I let down a half inch or a little more following an animal as it moves while I am at full draw the bow stays at letoff. Some bows stack quick while others do not reach full poundage until almost fully drawn. Which feels best is up to the shooter. A bow with limb stops will have a more solid back wall than one with cable stops. Some bows have both, which is very solid.

Poundage get a bow you can turn to where it is very comfortable for you to shoot while seated comfortable without going through extra motions while drawing. If you have to sky draw for instance that is too much poundage. As you shoot a bow in practice it will get easier to you as strength builds.

IMO the person setting the bow up should check for cam lean and other possible tuning issues before setting center shot. Not all bows are setup correctly from the factory and that should be included in bow setup st the shop that sells the bow IMO. Fine tuning of the rest gets you the rest of the way.

Arrow selection make sure your arrows spine is correct for your arrow length and poundage.

Personally a heavy bow to a point is easier to shoot well but I do not want one for a bow for elk (have enough trouble getting myself around at high altitude let alone a heavy bow).

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/09/16 02:37 AM

Interesting, I would not have guessed that the feel would have been as different.

So set a price point and fire a bunch. Go with feel, lighter is better

Thoughts on sights. Multi pin or something you have to adjust? I would think multi pin would be harder to learn but easier in the field.

Whisker biscuit or the ones that drop?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/09/16 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Interesting, I would not have guessed that the feel would have been as different.
Grips, weight, cam shape, back wall... all come into play for how a bow feels so there is a lot of difference in feel and what feels best to one shooter doesn't to another.

So set a price point and fire a bunch. Go with feel, lighter is better
Yes and you might just find you shoot one better than the others. Lighter is better to a point IMO but bows can get too light IMO. Poundage I would want at least 55lb draw for elk but if all I could draw comfortably was 50 I would still hunt them.

Thoughts on sights. Multi pin or something you have to adjust? I would think multi pin would be harder to learn but easier in the field.

I like multiple pin for the simplicity and less movement when time to shoot, there are some very good sights that have a combination where 2 pins are fixed for closer ranges and the third pin adjust for longer ranges. There are also 5 pin sights that adjust like single pin sights.

Whisker biscuit or the ones that drop?

Whisker biscuit rests and some others that are similar work but I see more shooters able to group better with drop away rests. Myself after switching to a drop away no more WB for me.

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/10/16 04:03 AM

Thanks for the help.

I think based on this I should plan 2-3 trips to the store.

My thoughts is to use cinnamon creek. They are not too far of a drive and seem to have a good reputation
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/10/16 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Thanks for the help.

I think based on this I should plan 2-3 trips to the store.

My thoughts is to use cinnamon creek. They are not too far of a drive and seem to have a good reputation

One of the best selections I've seen at CCR. There will be a bow you like there
Posted By: passthru

Re: Important features for elk hunting - 09/10/16 08:54 PM

They have a good crew there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum