Texas Hunting Forum

Muzzy trocar expandable broadheads

Posted By: Aggieman775

Muzzy trocar expandable broadheads - 08/07/16 01:35 PM

I shoot fixed blade muzzy trocars and love them. Penetration is great. That is one reason I don't shoot mechanical because I haven't had good penetration but I have seen the blood trails are great. With this trocar expandable I am thinking its the best of both worlds since it has both. What do y'all think?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Muzzy trocar expandable broadheads - 08/07/16 03:16 PM

I don't like the trocar tip. I guess the case could be made for "breaking" bone but I want a cut on contact tip. Be it on a Rage or Thunderhead. The pointed vs the more blunt tip has served me well. Even bow fishing the muzzy tips left me wanting on when shooting big gar. However deer are fairly easy to kill. If your bow is properly tuned any quality head should give you adequate penetration.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Muzzy trocar expandable broadheads - 08/07/16 03:29 PM

One thing i worry about is 2 years ago I hit a good buck square in the shoulder with a rage 3 blade and the arrow only went in about 6 inches. Broke the arrow on a tree and ran 20 yards and walked off.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Muzzy trocar expandable broadheads - 08/07/16 03:58 PM

I shoot 60lbs and get pass through on most shots. I've shot a 140 pound plus hogs through the shoulders this way. But an arrow not flying straight from poor tuning will take penetration away due to lack of kinetic energy. That said, six inches is half way or more through a deer chest. That deer should have died. However expandable heads do definitely have limitations.
Posted By: brandonsbird02

Re: Muzzy trocar expandable broadheads - 08/08/16 02:18 AM

These are the heads I plan on using this yr. I'm hoping they just as good as the fixed heads are!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum