Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder pens

Posted By: ChrisB

Feeder pens - 08/02/16 03:02 PM

How many of us bow hunters are using feeder pens when hunting feeders? Our hogs are out of control and keeping the deer off the feeders. I set up cameras on our penned protein feeders and we have a bunch of great mature deer. I'm not getting any at the corn feeders these last few years. Wondering if you shoot into the pen or try to get them outside the pen? Haven't made up my mind yet but thinking I will start penning the feeders.
Posted By: Wes70

Re: Feeder pens - 08/02/16 09:13 PM

We set up a feeder in a pin for the deer and a feeder outside the pin for hogs and brave deer
Posted By: passthru

Re: Feeder pens - 08/03/16 02:43 AM

I have one set up of each. I like killing hogs near as much as deer.

Well maybe a little more. smirk
Posted By: esnow74

Re: Feeder pens - 08/03/16 01:54 PM

pen the feeder but always hand corn outside the pen where you want to shoot. It will keep hogs away more and possibly give you a shot at the deer or shhot into the pen.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Feeder pens - 08/03/16 06:06 PM

Something else on the pens is have a lower spot in the top line of the pen where you want deer entering and exiting the pen for a shot. Even a spot 6 inches lower than the rest of the pen can get them to that location for entering and exiting the pen. A little hand spread corn at that location helps hold then for a shot.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Feeder pens - 08/20/16 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Wes70
We set up a feeder in a pin for the deer and a feeder outside the pin for hogs and brave deer

We do the same
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Feeder pens - 08/20/16 04:39 PM

Yep at least 10 panels for a good size pen and will shoot in the pen no problem. I have elevated bow stand at penned feeders
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum