Texas Hunting Forum

back tension release?

Posted By: Team By-God

back tension release? - 02/09/16 03:50 AM

Ive been bowhunting all my life , almost 40 years. Just recently boughy my son a mission craze and store owner was working with him to learn back tension release. This technique is all new to me. I bought a hoyt back in 2002 and 1st went to a release. When i bought that the shop owner got me to push down on the trigger to set it off, thats the way ive been shooting ever since. My son is really atruggling with the BT stuff. He has a Scott hero relaese. The bow came with 3 free leasons but its 225 miles away so its not really an ideal situation. Main questions are. does everyone use that style of release these days and any good links to explain to me better to help teach him? Ive searched and havent found alot usefull.
Posted By: r_u_sharp_2

Re: back tension release? - 02/09/16 04:12 AM

I wouldnt say that most start with a back tension, msot start with the trigger release to hunt.

The back tension is a great tool to overcome target panic and get you to focus only on aiming.

Try youtube for some videos on explaining and demonstrating the back tension release.

Also, ast the guy at the shop way he is teaching back tension.

Re: back tension release? - 02/09/16 12:28 PM

He was telling me that my son would never be as good as he could be pulling the trigger and not using back tension. All my searches have shown specefic releases for the back tension release not a normal strap/trigger release. Im all confused...
Posted By: passthru

Re: back tension release? - 02/09/16 05:03 PM

I'm not a fan of the BT release. But then again I've shot pistol and rifle competition in the past for years and trigger control is second nature so . . .
Posted By: ju993rnaut

Re: back tension release? - 02/10/16 07:16 PM

The scott hero isnt a back tension release. You can use back tension but the release is a trigger release.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: back tension release? - 02/10/16 07:18 PM

a massage works pretty well.... next you may need to go to the chiropractor
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: back tension release? - 02/10/16 08:49 PM

You can shoot those releases really far

Re: back tension release? - 02/10/16 09:09 PM

There lies my confusion.
Originally Posted By: ju993rnaut
The scott hero isnt a back tension release. You can use back tension but the release is a trigger release.
Posted By: lk05077

Re: back tension release? - 02/10/16 10:29 PM

Scott hero is a trigger release both my kids have used them

Re: back tension release? - 02/10/16 11:01 PM

Maybe back tension and what he is teaching is different. He was saying to put your finger on the trigger and start tightening back muscles and that was supposed to set trigger off. To me it seems that it moves your wrist as much as it moves the trigger finger so im not sure how that works.. i know its hard for me to expect my boy to learn that when i dont understand it either.. he used an example in tennis of hitting a big forehand drawing the racket back and tightening the back muscles before the swing..
Posted By: lk05077

Re: back tension release? - 02/10/16 11:26 PM

My girls 8 and 13 just squez it like a rifle trigger no wrist movement they are new and know one says they are doing it wrong coaches just tell them to squez the trigger not jerk it back
Posted By: ju993rnaut

Re: back tension release? - 02/11/16 05:27 PM

You can use back tension to "trigger" a release with a trigger.

But I'd let him get accustomed to shooting a trigger release the way it was designed to be shot first.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum