Texas Hunting Forum

Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas?

Posted By: Mavric

Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/18/15 02:42 PM

I've been bow hunting for 10+ years in texas....over the years I've used clamp ons and ladder stands but its always been a challenge to get high enough, right direction for the prevailing wind (ie the perfect tree), cover, you name it. With my clamp-on stands I've been busted twice by bucks....hawgs actually would look up in my direction before walking to the feeder.

About two seasons ago I picked up a tripod and tucked it into a big juniper. From my perspective wow what a difference!!! It's almost impossible to get busted and seems like the perfect stand for Texas bow hunting. I've got my tripods so well concealed you can't even see the legs from the trail. Last year I took a super nice 8....he literally stood underneath my tripod on the trail for a 1 or 2 mins then slowly walked to the perfect broadside shot. Just wanted to hear from other bow hunters if they have converted...
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/18/15 02:45 PM

always used lock ons to get way up but did buy my first tripod last year and sunk it into a mesquite tree.. works nice
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/18/15 04:59 PM

We have several on the ranch I hunt. Anywhere from 6 to 12 foot tall. I prefer the sturdier homemade ones with a larger floor. But yeah we don't have very many stands that you can see if you don't know where to look.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/18/15 05:25 PM

Planning on building a few that adjust from about 6-10 foot or so and doing like you said and sticking them in trees. We don't have any trees big enough/tall enough to put a hang on in.
Posted By: Mavric

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/18/15 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Planning on building a few that adjust from about 6-10 foot or so and doing like you said and sticking them in trees. We don't have any trees big enough/tall enough to put a hang on in.

hey redchevy...take a look at Dicks Sporting goods...they have a lightweight (70lb ?) 12' tripod that's easy to haul and setup for $149. I have two of the heavy 16' Academy ones, rock solid but its a 3 man effort to tuck it into the junipers....wife gave me a Summit tripod...very solid but a bit of a pain to put together.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/18/15 07:17 PM

I just did some touch up work on one tripod that I've had for over 10-years. I thought that was what everybody used, besides popup blinds.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/18/15 09:32 PM

I have three tripods. I use ladder stands as well. Hang/lock on stands work well I just don't like how difficult it is, relatively, to set steps and remove them.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/19/15 12:49 AM

I have been using climbing and ladder stands since the 70s, tripods since early 90s and strap on stands about 10 years.

OP the cedar makes a great place for a tripod just wish I had one where I need it on my lease. Great cover and cover scent.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/19/15 02:49 AM

Yep, great in east TX with all the yaupon.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/20/15 07:44 PM

I have several of the 16' tripods and they work extremely well. I also use ladder stands. I have tons of trees but very few that are large enough and in the right place for hanging stands.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/21/15 01:46 PM

I have a bunch I need to get rid of. We don't allow hunters to use them on our place anymore. But they are effective when set up in the right spot. Personally I prefer hunting from one of those over a climber/clamp-on type stand or even a ladder stand. If you get 12' up or so and into some tall cedars they work very well.
Posted By: no-guts-no-glory

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/22/15 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Mavric
I've been bow hunting for 10+ years in texas....over the years I've used clamp ons and ladder stands but its always been a challenge to get high enough, right direction for the prevailing wind (ie the perfect tree), cover, you name it. With my clamp-on stands I've been busted twice by bucks....hawgs actually would look up in my direction before walking to the feeder.

About two seasons ago I picked up a tripod and tucked it into a big juniper. From my perspective wow what a difference!!! It's almost impossible to get busted and seems like the perfect stand for Texas bow hunting. I've got my tripods so well concealed you can't even see the legs from the trail. Last year I took a super nice 8....he literally stood underneath my tripod on the trail for a 1 or 2 mins then slowly walked to the perfect broadside shot. Just wanted to hear from other bow hunters if they have converted...

I've been busted twice by a doe while hunting from a 15ft ladder stand. The doe sees the ladder and her eyes follow all the way to the top where I'm sitting.
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/23/15 03:17 PM

Out in West Texas where we hunt, none of the trees are tall enough / straight enough for ladder or strap on stands. Nothing but oak and mesquite. We use 6-10 ft tripods and stuff them deep into a tree to break up the silhouette.

I'd love one of those strap on tree stands cuz the are so COOL, but everytime I look at them, and start to open my wallet, a little voice says "Where are you going to hang that?".....And I still dont have one
Posted By: TAFFMASTER

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/24/15 03:55 PM

Tripods are the only way to go
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/24/15 11:35 PM

Tripods for me. I hunt public land and not many people hunting out in the cedars. Everyone in the big timber. I don't have to worry about them hunting in the fields where I put my tripods.
Posted By: Bobby Frey

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/29/15 04:56 AM

I have 4 tripods on my place. They work great.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/29/15 01:54 PM

Tripods for me too.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/29/15 02:04 PM

we have been using tripods for 20 years to hunt out of.

I like them in the hill country and prefer to bowhunt from a tripod.

in south texas finding a tree to tuck them in can be challenging, I typically use a pop-up there but I
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/29/15 02:31 PM

I hate tripods.

With that being said, I think there is a time and place for them. I think yall have the right idea with them being in the cedars. I have been sucessful out of a tripod backed into a cedar before. My 2nd biggest Texas buck(My 1st bow buck) was shot from a tripod. 130" 9pt.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2628770/1
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/29/15 11:51 PM

I killed my first archery buck from a 6' tripod set back inside a 10' tall mesquite about 15 yrs ago now. Key with tripods is to have something behind you to hide your silhouette. I still hunt out of them today. Cut a hole into a cedar and back the tripod in and they work great. Brush in the base helps alot.
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 09/30/15 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Mavric
Originally Posted By: redchevy

hey redchevy...take a look at Dicks Sporting goods...they have a lightweight (70lb ?) 12' tripod that's easy to haul and setup for $149. I have two of the heavy 16' Academy ones, rock solid but its a 3 man effort to tuck it into the junipers....wife gave me a Summit tripod...very solid but a bit of a pain to put together.

Which dicks are you referring to? I looked online and didn't see any?
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 10/01/15 02:24 AM

Good post I have three places on the ranch where I need to do something; actually today I've been looking at ladder stands or tripods ... I think I'll spend some money and take them to the ranch this week end.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 10/01/15 02:36 AM

That's all ill use for bowhunting! Brush them in with some good cover directly behind you and you're golden.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: Tripods - the new age bow stand for Texas? - 11/14/15 09:38 PM

I have hunted and killed one buck out of a tripod. I still prefer a high (25'+) hang on stand for where I hunt (Northeast Texas). Tall trees are not a problem here (writing this from 25' up a tree right now). II think drawing is easier from a hang on tree stand. Plus, I did not feel totally safe sitting in a tripod. No way to really tie off with a safety harness like you can in a tree. Still, I agree they can be very effective if brushed in properly.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum