Texas Hunting Forum

Anything new in fixed broadheads?

Posted By: Mavric

Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/16/15 02:36 PM

I hunted with Montec G5s last 2-3 seasons....I swore after last season I would switch so looking for some recommendations.

Last two bucks I've killed with Montecs were tough to find - both were pass-thru double lungs shots....one last year traveled 200+ yards and even climbed a small ravine before dropping. Only trace blood on the ground until I was within 50 yards of him (scary).

I've used Rage on hawgs before....had one that didn't open on impact and the O ring thing is just a pain but maybe I need to revisit the mechanicals.

A friend recommended 125gr Samurai broadheads from Alaskan Archery...they are really expensive but maybe well worth it considering I almost lost my last buck.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/16/15 02:40 PM

I use trophy taker shuttle t's in 100gr. They fly like field points, even out to 65+ yards and I've never had one break. A buddy turned me on to them, he has used them to kill everything from baboons to wildebeest and even a giraffe with the 100gr.

I do not trust expandable broadheads.. too much to go wrong.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/16/15 03:06 PM

Tried Slick Tricks yet?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/16/15 03:36 PM

NAP killzone... don't let rage be the reason you don't like expendables.. I was the same way for a good while.. your truly cutting yourself short if your still using a small 1/2inch fixed head
Posted By: TWarren

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/16/15 03:45 PM

I switched this year a 125-grain Solid Broadhead. They are similar to the Alaskan Samurai mentioned previously and, though I haven't flung an arrow at a deer yet, found they fly much better than the G5's I used to shoot.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/16/15 04:34 PM

I'm trying those muzzy trocars this year.
Posted By: TxHunter87

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/16/15 08:52 PM

I started using Slick Trick Magnums a few years back and they are awesome, look at their reveiws anywhere and no one has anything bad to say about them

TWarren- i want to try those Solids so bad, you got to let me know how they work on what ever you shoot, im hoping to run out of Slick Tricks i stocked up on so i can finally buy some of those
Posted By: ancuegar

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/17/15 11:02 AM

ive been shooting slick tricks since 2003. very tough bh and if your bow is tuned they fly great. wac ems are another great bh that is also a very good bh.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/17/15 01:45 PM

Wensel Woodsman, Magnus Snuffer, or Magnus Stinger.
Posted By: Mavric

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/17/15 02:48 PM

Thanks all for the recommendations...I'll be doing a little shopping tonight!
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/18/15 10:12 AM

If I were leaving Montecs, Slick Tricks would be my choice
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/21/15 02:24 AM

Another good option I've had good success with are the QAD Exodus swept blades.
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: Anything new in fixed broadheads? - 09/21/15 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Aggieman775
I'm trying those muzzy trocars this year.

I've used these the past 2 yrs and have been really happy with them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum