Texas Hunting Forum

Long Range Deer Hunting

Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/05/15 11:27 PM

Well, I'm primarily a traditional shooter, but since I will be hunting public land this fall, I decided to break out my compound. I've been practicing out to 50 yards, and if I can find a couple more pins, I'll push that out to 60 or 70. My goal is to be able to take a deer at 50 yards this fall. What's the farthest that you've taken a deer with a bow?
Posted By: GLC

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 02:10 AM

I have stayed within 35 yards all my life.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 02:20 AM

37 yards is my longest on deer, the rest have been less than 30.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 02:22 AM

30-35 is the longest I will shoot at a whitetail. Good chance they won't still be there on shots much farther. I would go 60 on an elk if I ever get the chance.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 02:25 AM

My plan is 30 yards or less, but if I have an opportunity on a calm deer at 40 or 50 yards, I want to be able to take it.
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 02:34 AM

At 53 yards I shot at a buck two seasons ago. I spent the summer practicing consistently out to 70-80 and for kicks occasionally out to 130. 53 yards on a target was a chip shot with a single pin sight set up. I felt good about the shot, the buck was oblivious to my presence before the shot, but when the arrow impacted the buck had dropped and it hit him in the spine. He dropped in his tracks. I immediately followed up with another shot that obliterated his heart and lungs. Quickest recovery to date.

I was lucky it worked out and have a 13 point buck on the wall that wouldn't be there had I passed on the shot...

The more likely outcome should have been a flesh wound or non vitals hit causing an unrecovered deer. Glad I lucked out once, but I don't think I'll tempt fate like that again.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
I will be hunting public land this fall. My goal is to be able to take a deer at 50 yards this fall. What's the farthest that you've taken a deer with a bow?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, are you or will you be hunting in a lot of open terrain?
I mean, there is a lot of public ground on the east side of Texas where a 50 yd shot would be impossible, much less to even see a deer that far out.
The way I set up, my average shot is 18 yds. My longest shot on a deer is around 21 yds. My closest is 5 yds. I like my shots short and sweet!!! grin

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
I will be hunting public land this fall. My goal is to be able to take a deer at 50 yards this fall. What's the farthest that you've taken a deer with a bow?
I mean, there is a lot of public ground on the east side of Texas where a 50 yd shot would be impossible, much less to even see a deer that far out.
The way I set up, my average shot is 18 yds. My longest shot on a deer is around 21 yds. My closest is 5 yds. I like my shots short and sweet!!! grin

San Angelo.. not east Texas. Definitely possible to see game that far. I passed a 40 yard shot on a nice buck last season. I'm not making the same mistake twice.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 03:29 PM

San Angelo.. not east Texas.
Ok, but why not put the time in and study the area you're going to hunt and make your sets for a closer shot. A lot can happen/change from zero to 50 in a blink of an eye.
Just sayin!!!

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 07:58 PM

San Angelo.. not east Texas.
Ok, but why not put the time in and study the area you're going to hunt and make your sets for a closer shot. A lot can happen/change from zero to 50 in a blink of an eye.
Just sayin!!!

Why limit yourself? Of course I prefer a closer shot, but why not be competent enough to shoot a deer at 40 yards if the need arises? The whole point of shooting a compound is the added distance. If I want to limit my shots to 20 yards and less, I'll shoot my recurve.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 10:25 PM

I'm not sayin at all you can't do it. I know people who can 12 ring a target all day long at 60, 70 yds.
BUT, they won't take a shot on a deer at that distance and most of them won't pass 30 because they know, at a live target, anything can happen, causing a shot that far to go south pretty quick.
What I am saying, you cannot predict what that deer at 50 yds is going to do. Lets say you are at full draw. Deer is 50 yards out. He's relaxed and feeding. You release your arrow and at the very same time, the deer takes a step. Where do you think the arrow is going to hit?

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/06/15 11:44 PM

Texas whitetail are just too fast to be taking that long of a shot. Not saying it won't work occasionally but more times than not you won't hit where you were aiming. My two longest whitetail kills were at about 32 and 35 yards and both ducked and got spined. I feel like much farther and there is no telling where I would have hit.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 03:36 AM

Since y'all like to keep it close, I suggest you try traditional. At least then there is a challenge.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 03:56 AM

Since y'all like to keep it close, I suggest you try traditional. At least then there is a challenge.
The challenge is being able to get set up so close and undetected by a deer and then killing it.
If you want some long range shots, try a rifle. I hear they work pretty darn good!!!

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 11:31 AM

The challenge is being able to get set up so close and undetected by a deer and then killing it.
If you want some long range shots, try a rifle. I hear they work pretty darn good!!!

Exactly, the challenge is in being close, getting drawn and being undetected. It's not in if I can make an ethical clean kill. I try to eliminate that part. I'm very comfortable shooting 4 inch groups at sixty yards all day. And if one of those Red Deer shows up at sixty yards while I'm on stand this year, there's a good chance I will take the shot. But not a chance Im taking that shot on a whitetail.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 11:37 AM

https://youtu.be/8cFlwn70F
Originally Posted By: squiggy

Here is my analogy: shooting a deer with a muzzleloader at 100 yards is a pretty good accomplishment. Shooting the same deer at the same distance with .30-06 bolt action is a gimme shot.

Works the same with a bow. I'm not here to criticize your hunting preferences. Don't criticize mine.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 01:17 PM

between 25 and 30. I wont shoot over 30 at a deer.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 02:55 PM

I'm not here to criticize your hunting preferences. Don't criticize mine.

Maybe you should go back and re-read your opening post. You are the one that stated "My goal is to take a deer at 50 yards with my bow"!!!
My question still remains, "WHY"???
Why chance a bad shot? I don't know any bow hunters that would even attempt a shot that far on a deer, even though they are very capable of doing so, just because they know a lot can happen or change in that distance.
A bow hunter's goal should be, How Close Can I Get!!! At least it's my goal and everybody else that I know.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, if you don't want to be "Criticized" on the way you plan to hunt, you should have kept those thoughts to yourself.
I'm starting to think you started this thread just to see what you could stir up stir

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 04:23 PM

I'm not here to criticize your hunting preferences. Don't criticize mine.

Maybe you should go back and re-read your opening post. You are the one that stated "My goal is to take a deer at 50 yards with my bow"!!!
My question still remains, "WHY"???
Why chance a bad shot? I don't know any bow hunters that would even attempt a shot that far on a deer, even though they are very capable of doing so, just because they know a lot can happen or change in that distance.
A bow hunter's goal should be, How Close Can I Get!!! At least it's my goal and everybody else that I know.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, if you don't want to be "Criticized" on the way you plan to hunt, you should have kept those thoughts to yourself.
I'm starting to think you started this thread just to see what you could stir up stir

Maybe you should reread the first post. It says to be ABLE to take a deer at distance. I'm starting to think you're one of those "If it's not done the way I do it, it's wrong," types.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 04:25 PM

https://youtu.be/8cFlwn70FLM

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 06:22 PM

Maybe you should reread the first post. It says to be ABLE to take a deer at distance. I'm starting to think you're one of those "If it's not done the way I do it, it's wrong," types.
If you are confident, then fling away. It's all an individual thing.
And no, I'm not "one of those". But I am one for a good clean kill. I have also hunted public land and killed deer with my bow. But I take more gratification in studying the area, reading the signs, making my set, and having a kill shot at a very close range. All the deer I've shot on public land has been 15 yds or less. But that's just me. I like'em short and sweet. When I can get that close, whether I take a shot or not, is a successful hunt for me.
So if you are confident at that range to make a clean kill, then by all means. All I am saying, a lot can happen between 0 to 50. I've seen it personally at a whole lot shorter distance. Biggest buck I ever killed (in Kansas) dropped a foot and a half. Luckily I was aiming at the bottom of his heart. Ended up hitting right below the back bone and got one lung.
And that was at a mere 13 yards!!!
Shoot straight and good luck this season!! up

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 06:30 PM

Cool video. You didn't mention you were going after mule deer. All I and I believe others were trying to point out is that whitetail are about 100 times more wary than other animals. I've seen deer jump 4 foot from just my tree stand squeking before. Good luck with your hunt . Surely doesn't hurt to extend your practice range as far as possible. Makes those short shot just a chip shot.
Posted By: Wes70

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Texas whitetail are just too fast to be taking that long of a shot. Not saying it won't work occasionally but more times than not you won't hit where you were aiming. My two longest whitetail kills were at about 32 and 35 yards and both ducked and got spined. I feel like much farther and there is no telling where I would have hit.

You were aiming to high if they ducked and you spined them.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 07:29 PM

I'm not sayin at all you can't do it. I know people who can 12 ring a target all day long at 60, 70 yds.
BUT, they won't take a shot on a deer at that distance and most of them won't pass 30 because they know, at a live target, anything can happen, causing a shot that far to go south pretty quick.
What I am saying, you cannot predict what that deer at 50 yds is going to do. Lets say you are at full draw. Deer is 50 yards out. He's relaxed and feeding. You release your arrow and at the very same time, the deer takes a step. Where do you think the arrow is going to hit?

Deer takes a step forward unexpectedly at 20 yards where do you think that arrow is going to hit? Can't use that in trying to prove your point.

It is Bowhunting guys, anything can happen at any time. That is the nature of the beast. If you practice at further distances and you are confident you can make a good ethical kill, that it is up to you. If you don't practice and can't hit the broadside of a barn out past 30, then don't shoot that far.

Archery is a personal sport. Do what you are comfortable with. Everyone's opinions are just that their own opinions.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 07:51 PM

Well I agree with the up close approach. You want to stretch the distance then gun hunt. But then again, the long range guys only tell you about the one they find, not the several they don't.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 07:54 PM

I fully understand deer are jumpy, and always try for a close shot.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Wes70

Deer takes a step forward unexpectedly at 20 yards where do you think that arrow is going to hit? Can't use that in trying to prove your point.

With 30 yds difference???
Yes I can.
Deer at 20 gets it in the liver where as deer at 50 gets it in the gut.
But like I say, each to his own.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/07/15 10:03 PM

Yes I can.

Negative Ghostrider.

The deers step forward is the same if I am sitting 20 yards out or 50 yards out. Step forward is a step forward. If you pull the shot or make a bad shot that is a different story.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/08/15 12:18 AM

Well if the deer starts the step at release the fact that the arrow is in flight longer at 50 than at 20.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/08/15 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Well if the deer starts the step at release the fact that the arrow is in flight longer at 50 than at 20.

Wouldn't that be more then a step? Wouldn't that turn into a walk or a few steps? He said take a step, one step is not going to change from 20 to 50. Walking off or taking stepS to turn or change position is something totally different.

My point is there are to many if's in his statement. If the OP wants to shoot at 50 then that is his choice don't beat him up over it. I will go back and reread the OP and see but I don't think was asking if it was ok but telling what his goal is. The key word there is HIS. Not yours, or mine but his.

Personal I set my feeder up this year 30 yards from my stand. When I have set up things like that before I have had better luck with mature bucks coming in to the feeder. So I wanted to help my odds. In my stand I have the ability to shot much further. Do I plan to, no but if that Double Drop 200" deer(hypothetical) is stand there and it is you, him, and God you are going to take that shot weather you say you will or not. You make it you tell everyone I made a 45 yard shot. You miss or God forbid you wound him you will say "I don't know what happened, it looked like a good shot. It's just they way it is.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/08/15 03:16 AM

Well, I'm primarily a traditional shooter, but since I will be hunting public land this fall, I decided to break out my compound. I've been practicing out to 50 yards, and if I can find a couple more pins, I'll push that out to 60 or 70. My goal is to be able to take a deer at 50 yards this fall. What's the farthest that you've taken a deer with a bow?

He asked what is the furthest you have shot a deer? Not do you think I should. Once again if he wants to shoot that far that is his choice.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/08/15 04:02 AM

Yes I can.

Negative Ghostrider.

The deers step forward is the same if I am sitting 20 yards out or 50 yards out. Step forward is a step forward. If you pull the shot or make a bad shot that is a different story.
Sooooooooooooooooooo, you are saying, that an arrow will impact at the same spot at the same time at 50 yds as 20 yds?
Got it!! whistle

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/08/15 12:05 PM

Yes I can.

Negative Ghostrider.

Sooooooooooooooooooo, you are saying, that an arrow will impact at the same spot at the same time at 50 yds as 20 yds?
Got it!! whistle

Ok let me try and explain it another way. You said step. Is that a step and stop or step then run, what? If that deer takes a step and stops and you are aiming at the same spot you are going to hit back in the liver or guts at 20 and the same spot at 50. Like I said before there are to many if's in your statement that is why I said you can't use that as an example. Yes the time it takes the arrow to get to the target from 20 to 50 is different but that is not what you said.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/08/15 02:11 PM

I understand what Wes is saying. My experience though has been the deer starts to turn or step as I release and the impact is 3 to 6" of my intended poi and that is under 30 yards. A turning step is worse. Then it's a hope like hell the broadhead hits a blood vessel or enough liver to terminate the deer quickly with a blood trail you can follow. Which personally is getting tougher the more my eyes age. Especially in low light.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/30/15 12:16 AM

Most experience bowhunters for whitetails keep their shots under 30, 40 max if they are very proficient and conditions are perfect. They will advise anyone to do the same.

They do this not because they are "one of those" who likes to dictate to others, they do it because whitetails are wary, jumpy, and quick SOBs and bad crap happens between the release of the arrow and its arrival - no matter how good a shot you are.

Good advice is just that - good advice.

Elk, mule deer, moose, sheep, etc. are a different story.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/31/15 01:26 AM

50 is just about max for anyone on a whitetaild most actually stop at 45(that's assuming perfect conditions.) Mulies, elk, antelope. Different story.

Most people self imposed limit is half of what they shoot normally. To each there own

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 08/31/15 01:38 AM

Well I agree with the up close approach. You want to stretch the distance then gun hunt. But then again, the long range guys only tell you about the one they find, not the several they don't.

That's not true.

Everyone has their own self imposed range, long range is just a term used by someone that thinks that range is really long. 50 yards to a recurve guy maybe 100 to a compound guy. To each their own, my limits are mine.
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/03/15 01:46 AM

pigs at 55 is my personal best
Posted By: boonee

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/03/15 02:46 AM

My limit is 20-25 yards. We might/might not use to practice shooting $1 bills at 60 and 70 yards. Right there on Buckner Blvd. Closest to George wins! But NONE of those hunters shot game at 40+ yards.
I guess I'm just not lucky, I had a nice buck jump the string at 30 yards, aimed lower 1/3 released, he jumped straight up, arrow went right under his chest! And stuck in a tree.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/03/15 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

50 is just about max for anyone on a whitetaild most actually stop at 45(that's assuming perfect conditions.) Mulies, elk, antelope. Different story.

Most people self imposed limit is half of what they shoot normally. To each there own

Who knicked an Elk at what range? popcorn

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/03/15 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

On faithful cool day on the western plains......a modern muzzle loader spoke an ungly name.....

whistle
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/03/15 03:53 AM

On faithful cool day on the western plains......a modern muzzle loader spoke an ungly name.....

whistle

It was a WT at 139 yds by my RANGEFINDER and quartering hard away, shooting off the sticks in standing corn. Get the details correct now up What range was your ELK size target again? ELK SIZE TARGET THERE KNICKEM grin
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/03/15 04:03 AM

In Texas, I limit my shots to 30 yards and in Kansas, it is 50 yards. Longest shot is 42 yards in Kansas on a doe. My limit changes depending on the environment, the demeanor of the deer and my confidence. Ultimate goal should be a quick, clean kill and only the shooter can answer what the best chance for that is.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/03/15 04:54 AM

My East Texas range for the "spooky" deer is 15-20 yards (very rarely get to draw because 90% of the time one of the deer are on alert)

From my experience West Texas deer are easier and 30 yards is no problem.

Rut and human pressure play a big factor.

2cents

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/08/15 02:10 AM

[quote=BOBO the Clown]
It was a WT at 139 yds by my RANGEFINDER and quartering hard away, shooting off the sticks in standing corn. Get the details correct now up What range was your ELK size target again? ELK SIZE TARGET THERE KNICKEM grin

I don't remember the exact details other then he was further then I thought. Lesson learned was, range the animal not the tree you think he will be at.

You just flat missed I just mis-ranged smile
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/11/15 01:47 AM

Sqiggy, X2. cowboy needs a rifle. a bow hunter is up close and personal. Forrest

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/11/15 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Drahthaar
Sqiggy, X2. cowboy needs a rifle. a bow hunter is up close and personal. Forrest

Still wasn't asking permission or advice.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/11/15 05:54 AM

Just grab a crossbow and be done with it.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/11/15 12:03 PM

So the point of your post was to enjoy the controversy or to start a conversation for exchange of ideas and information?

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/11/15 02:16 PM

I doubt cowboy will get on here and share with us all the deer he wounds or misses at 50 yards this year. But if by chance he gets lucky and kills one more power to him.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/11/15 04:20 PM

So the point of your post was to enjoy the controversy or to start a conversation for exchange of ideas and information?

My point, if you read the original post, was to ask how far everyone has shot a deer.

Also, I never stated that I will pass a close shot, or shoot past 30 yards if conditions were less than perfect. Like was originally stated, if I am going to limit myself to 20 yards max, I'll hunt with a recurve. If I'm in an area that may allow for a father shot, I'll take a compound.

It's always funny how when you ask a simple question looking for facts, you get three pages of opinion.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/12/15 12:19 AM

Welcome to THF where advice and opinions are endless. 99% of the viewers of this subject when it was first posted knew the controversy and outcome. Don't act surprised as you probably knew it as well.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/12/15 01:31 AM

roflmao Yes, we are are experts in the field and know that our way is the only right way. But it helps us get through the off season.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/12/15 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
Welcome to THF where advice and opinions are endless. 99% of the viewers of this subject when it was first posted knew the controversy and outcome. Don't act surprised as you probably knew it as well.

Don't get upset when someone wants to push the limits a bit.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/12/15 06:07 AM

Hey it's all good bud. Give me a shout and I'll help ya track it.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/13/15 06:53 AM

Hey it's all good bud. Give me a shout and I'll help ya track it.

Likewise

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting - 09/13/15 07:44 AM

You may not want to help track my deer. Yaupons suck when it comes to tracking and they're thick as heck on my East Texas place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum