Texas Hunting Forum

First Colorado Elk Hunt

Posted By: Chunky Monkey

First Colorado Elk Hunt - 03/21/15 06:29 PM

Hello folks,

Getting ready for my first Colorado elk hunt. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CM
Posted By: presley

Re: First Colorado Elk Hunt - 03/21/15 08:14 PM

Where are you hunting? Best advice is get in shape and start now. I hunted the San Juans north of Dolores up to 12 thousand feet 2 years back with some guys who knew what they were doing, Helped a bunch for a first timer. Either have someone who has done it with you or get an outfitter. You can get in trouble very easy in high coubtry.

Re: First Colorado Elk Hunt - 03/21/15 11:46 PM

I am going with a group that has been going to a certain location for the past 25 years. They are really experienced so I feel good about it. They are full of helpful information but I wanted to see if anyone on here had any tips.

For ex... Do you prefer a bow sling or a strap for your range finder when hunting like this?

I would image that it would be nice to have the extra hand and not carrying your bow by hand all day.

Re: First Colorado Elk Hunt - 03/21/15 11:47 PM

We are hunting near Montrose
Posted By: presley

Re: First Colorado Elk Hunt - 03/22/15 01:17 AM

My pack would handle my bow but only used it once. You want it in your hand. Carried my gps on a cord clipped to my pack. One of the guys I hunted with told me about dropping his down the side of a hill way back in the mountains. Not a good thing. Your associates will get you ready. Start training. We were hiking vertcal 2500-3000 ft and up to 12 miles a day.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: First Colorado Elk Hunt - 03/22/15 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
I am going with a group that has been going to a certain location for the past 25 years. They are really experienced so I feel good about it. They are full of helpful information but I wanted to see if anyone on here had any tips.

For ex... Do you prefer a bow sling or a strap for your range finder when hunting like this?

I would image that it would be nice to have the extra hand and not carrying your bow by hand all day.

I use a FHF bino harness I attach it to that via lanyard. My range finger has a clip. You want it as handy as possible.

To biggest things:
Never set up behind or in a tree/ bush. Be in front
And know your thermals and wind. The wind will beat you more then movement or drawing your bow.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: First Colorado Elk Hunt - 03/22/15 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
We are hunting near Montrose

So doing OTC Archery 62?

If so, get in shape. Uncompaghre is a beast to get to the elk concentrations.

Re: First Colorado Elk Hunt - 03/23/15 10:22 PM

Yes, I am hunting in 62. Thanks, for the tips. I will start exploring some of the options mentioned here. Thanks.
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: First Colorado Elk Hunt - 03/23/15 10:28 PM

Bring a Bic Lighter for signaling or starting a fire if you get lost. I have hunted the Uncompaghe a few times and after sunset it is just plain dangerous!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum