Texas Hunting Forum

target practice distance limitations

Posted By: rattler03

target practice distance limitations - 03/21/15 02:38 AM

I am curious what some of y'all do to practice shooting at distances of 30 yards or more. I've got a very small backyard and would have to shoot into my backyard from my frontyard just to get to 20 yards. The nearest archery shop range is only a 20 yard range. After a few years of only gun hunting, I'm hoping to get back into bowhunting. Have any of y'all found a way or a place you can safely practice shooting your bow at farther distances? I live in Richardson, by the way.
Posted By: Chad74

Re: target practice distance limitations - 03/21/15 03:31 AM

My neighbor and I place our target between our houses up against our fence and it is at 30 yards from the side walk, we will cross the street and stand on other sidewalk which is 41 yards. Every so often we will shoot from 50 which is standing in our other neighbors yard. At 40 and 50 yards we can see both directions if people or cars are coming.
Posted By: ju993rnaut

Re: target practice distance limitations - 03/21/15 01:59 PM

Shoot at a smaller target. Use a pencil eraser or small piece of tape or something similar. Stick it to your target and have at it. You'll still use your 20 pin but it will feel like a farther target.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: target practice distance limitations - 03/22/15 06:07 PM

Thanks guys, those are both good ideas. I particularly like the idea of using a smaller target. Anybody else have any more ideas?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: target practice distance limitations - 03/23/15 02:02 PM

Texas Archery Academy is not far from you (Plano Parkway and 75) that normally they are 20 yards but one night a week make it a 40 yard range. Also a membership there can get you on some outdoor ranges with much longer distances.

The small targets is a good idea as well
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: target practice distance limitations - 03/25/15 04:05 PM

Buffalo Field Archery Club

I know its not in your area but is a great place for anyone near or around Houston.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum