Texas Hunting Forum

Bow hunting set up question(s)

Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/04/15 10:31 PM

I am mainly set up for rifle with the feeders about 90-100 yards on average from the blinds. I would like to add a bow hunting option in the mix and would like some help with that. I have pop up blinds but think I want more elevation. Maybe an open top type platform? IDK...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 02:25 AM

Elevator brackets are your friend.
http://shadowhunterllc.com/index.php/series-elevators.html

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru

Thanks! I will look this over. This the set up that you use?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 02:36 AM

Pop ups work well. I have seen set ups where they are mounted on a wooden platform to provide the elevation.

If I can find a tree that even looks like it will hold me, I prefer to be in it.

I am not a fan of open top enclosures. Shadows are your friend when bow hunting. We had a few with open tops and would get picked off more than the others.

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 03:18 AM

Nope. I've never been in a situation to have that set up. However I do have a box on a platform built from the brackets (in Missouri) and it works great. I'm also contemplating building one for a Krivoman shell style blind. I have seen pics of other members here and on TBH who put pop ups on platforms.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 03:20 AM

I really enjoy pop ups. It's a task to find a straight mesquite tree around here...

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 04:51 AM

There are some blinds with better tree opportunities than others. I need to eyeball it a little bit more.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 01:01 PM

Depending if there is a tree close by the feeder. I like to push a small tripod into a tree, if the tree can't support a stand, just to kill my silhouette. If not a popup is your best option.

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 03:04 PM

Do you think some type of background for an open top platform to help hide silhouette? Maybe even a small roof for the warm October bow season afternoons?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 03:07 PM

Get up in the nosebleed section and youll have much more luck

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: friocountyhunts
Do you think some type of background for an open top platform to help hide silhouette? Maybe even a small roof for the warm October bow season afternoons?
Any kind of back ground will help to help mask your movements if you don't have a tree to back into, top? , sides? wood? burlap? Just bear in mind the more square or block it looks like the more they will try to figure out what it is. My take a while for them to warm up to it.

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 04:29 PM

I am going to use this platform and blind frame I've made to make a bow blind for a friend who's place has mostly mesquite and small hackberry trees for cover. We will cover it with ground/weed cloth and camo netting on the outside. A shooting hole will be cut in each side.

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 04:35 PM

Thanks gents. I have a better idea now and will be looking the potential setups over this weekend while I'm guiding hog hunters.
Posted By: wisco-hunter

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 05:32 PM

Passthru, I like that set up, where did you get the base?

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 06:23 PM

An old lease. The pop up on it was shredded and the cost for a new one was too much so it was passed on to me to do with as I liked. It needs a few minor repairs but nothing difficult.

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 06:40 PM

Dang, if you have a brand on it let me know, I like the trap door ordeal, and it looks pretty roomy

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 06:43 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Big-Game-...1729&rid=20
Here you go.

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 07:40 PM

Passthru is on the ball today!

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 08:10 PM

Thanks for the lead, I found this http://www.biggametreestands.com/product/the-booster/ I think I have the materials to build a box!

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/05/15 09:59 PM

That should work. I saw one at TSC one time that was about $500+ for the platform and blind.

Re: Bow hunting set up question(s) - 03/06/15 12:24 AM

Good idea passthru! I may try something like that too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum