Texas Hunting Forum

New bowhunter

Posted By: Txhunter15

New bowhunter - 01/02/15 12:08 AM

I just bought my first compound bow, and I am looking for a good target. What are everyone's opinions for a good, reliable target that will last for a while?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: New bowhunter - 01/02/15 12:15 AM

I like a Block for its versatility. If you're just shooting field points, a bag is nice. Broadheads are hard on any targets, so keep that in mind. Welcome to the addiction!!
Posted By: rattler03

Re: New bowhunter - 01/03/15 01:33 AM

X2 for the Block
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: New bowhunter - 01/03/15 11:37 PM

I went to the redhead bag for the skinny arrows with the outserts. They stop the arrows differently than the foam style does. I plan on upgrading to these arrows and know they'll get stopped with the bag as opposed to the foam ones. They'll fly right through those.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: New bowhunter - 01/04/15 12:37 AM

Bag targets are great for field points. They last a long time and can be recovered for even more wear.The are also pretty inexpensive. Cheap ones and more expensive ones work the same, better ones just come with a heavier cover as a rule.
BH targets are a different story. The Cadillac IMO is the Rinehart, they are pricey but last forever in relative terms and both BH and field points are easy to pull out of the material. I have one of the larger ones in the backyard and have been shooting it for several years, the elements don't seem to effect them to any significant degree. Block is also a good target. There are plenty of variations, look at some product reviews to learn more about the most bang for your buck.
Welcome to the addiction!
Posted By: Txhunter15

Re: New bowhunter - 01/04/15 11:12 PM

Thanks for the info everyone! I got a bag style target from Bass Pro last night. I will be shooting field points only for awhile. I'll probably look at the more expensive targets when it comes time for broad heads.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: New bowhunter - 01/05/15 12:22 AM

Follow www.camofire.com

Usually can find some killer deals on targets
Posted By: titan2232

Re: New bowhunter - 01/06/15 10:53 PM

Whitetails and pigs make great targets.
Posted By: Bdontexoma

Re: New bowhunter - 01/06/15 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: DFWPI

Don't follow CamoFire and don't get the CamoFire app. Its extremely addicting and will likely cost you lost of money for things that you really don't have to have.

Lol

Actually, its a pretty good app to buy things off of... sometimes 1/2 the price off of overstock items.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: New bowhunter - 01/07/15 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
Whitetails and pigs make great targets.

They tend to wear out after one shot.
Posted By: chrisj81

Re: New bowhunter - 01/12/15 06:59 PM

Cheap bag targets from academy!!!!! They take thousands of shots and cost less than 30.00 for backyard practice and to take to hunting camp!!!! Best value out there for practice!!!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: New bowhunter - 01/12/15 07:21 PM

Get a 3d target you can get them for less than $100.. really makes practice that much better since you get use to angles and how an arrow can enter and exit an animal.. even though things change even more when hyde, bone, organs and a living animal are involved
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum