Texas Hunting Forum

ROOKIE ...

Posted By: offinthewoods

ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 03:57 AM

Hey BOW GUYS!, I'm sorta new to this Bow Hunting.
I have always used a rifle. But I just have shot targets with a bow.

So here's the story. I'm sitting on the couch today and my dad shows up with a case ( I'm 30yo) he is almost always surprising me with something still.

I can't find a SN and would like to get tips etc... About hunting or shooting it.

I have already nailed my targets at 15-20-30 no problem its like a natural act. For me.

This is the bow, also I have no idea what grain the arrows and the BH that is with it.

I'm super excited to get a deer with this PSE DRIVE banana loser8

Posted By: rrflyer

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 04:45 PM

Congrats.

A local shop should help you get it set up and identify what you actually have.

For bowhunting practice how you'll hunt.... Out of a ground blind, stand etc...

Those broad heads kinda look like Muzzys but with the cutting edge installed backwards?
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 04:46 PM

I would first find out what the draw length and draw weight is. Then, find the chart that shows what size arrow you need. Go buy a half dozen and have cut to fit the draw length.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: rrflyer
Those broad heads kinda look like Muzzys but with the cutting edge installed backwards?
Those aren't Muzzy's. They are some kind of mechanical BH's.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 05:42 PM

Go kill something! If you have somewhere to hunt, you got it made! All I've taken is a poor lil bird seed theiving lil squirrel. The varmint tip went in and lodged itself. He got stuck in the bushes in my back yard. I went to retrieve him and he growled at me. I had to finish him with the side of my shed. Lol.

Anyways, go to a range, go outside, go to your land and shoot that sucker. You're already shooting good at 20 so go practice for a little farther

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 05:50 PM

Went and had the bow checked.
Its set at 60.15# 29draw

I'm hunting in a natural ground blind I built with old fallen down trees etc...

I'll get a better pic of the BHs for y'all to see.
Like I said I'm new to bow hunting and falls help/tips are awesome

Thanks

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 05:54 PM

Posted By: RLoving1

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 07:57 PM

Do not carry broadheads on arrows in case! Take them off or put field points on but REMOVE B/H's! One could bounce out and cut string on bow and you have a problem then. Nice setup you have there.

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 08:01 PM

RLoving --- THANKS !!!, That is by far the best advise !
I can see where that can be a major issue .. Something so simple I would have never known.

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 08:03 PM

Rloving-- I lived and worked in Odessa for a good while. I looked at leases that way and just like every thing way pricey. Lol

I know out in between BIG LAKE they have some MONSTER deer and off 10 in KEERVILLE
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: RLoving1
Do not carry broadheads on arrows in case! Take them off or put field points on but REMOVE B/H's! One could bounce out and cut string on bow and you have a problem then. Nice setup you have there.

About to say the same thing!!!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 08:27 PM

Best advice is just shoot from as many positions and distances you can. Oh and great ready it's addicting
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 08:55 PM

Those are Rage Chisel Points

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 08:57 PM

BOBO --- yes Its already set in lol

i have been flinging arrows at 10-15-20 today I decided to back down on the YRDS I was at yesterday till I'm more comfortable. I don't have a target block nor yard deer so I'm using the corn sack with target and two old pillows .lol

I ran a tape and flagged 10-15-20 off ..

I'm on a tight budget so working with what I got

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 08:58 PM

Fox --- have you ever used them?

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 08:59 PM

Fox --- have you ever used them?
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/21/14 09:49 PM

The standard rage's are a very good mechanical broad head if thats your style. I haven't used the new chisel tips but I don't see them being any worse. I personally prefer fixed blades but I do own a pack of Rages and wouldn't hesitate using them.

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/22/14 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: offinthewoods
Rloving-- I lived and worked in Odessa for a good while. I looked at leases that way and just like every thing way pricey. Lol

I know out in between BIG LAKE they have some MONSTER deer and off 10 in KEERVILLE

There are some good deer around but boom money has drove lease prices crazy high, here and state wide! The Kerrville area has some good deer numbers so bound to have some big ones with the number of deer they have. Best part of this area anymore is what you see in rearview mirror. Get some field points, bag target, and save up for range finder. Finder alternate arrow for practice if yours are expensive in case you start having issues or Robin Hoods. Save your good ammo for 3 month prior to season when each arrow means business in practice, I shoot Beamans and they aren't so pricey that I can't afford to trash one here and there but still quality enough that they are all I shoot. You got a good setup and lots of good advice on here, now find someone to shoot with and it's even more fun!

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/22/14 04:11 AM

PM me your address and I'll send you some extra field points I got. Also, wax is cheap. Keep those strings good and waxed up. If it starts looking fuzzy, hit em again. Keep checking things every now and again to make sure everything's tight. I've had a few bolts start backing out after 20 shots before. Sometimes a little blue loc-tite will handle that problem too.

Does anyone ever use those scent pucks for their bow case? My last case had a musty smell to it so I started using an earth scented one that fixed the problem. Anyone else ever do that?

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/22/14 03:48 PM

TRoberts --- yea, id like to get both styles that way I have an option and see what I like better.

RLoving --- thanks again. For the advice, man y'all have been awesome .. I know if stated that before but its true. Yes the CF Sniper 300 8.9gn I have are 80.00 dzn!!! I will be getting lower end to practice with lol.

Bullfrog --- aww man thanks! I tried PM but won't allow me too .. Great tips you have given as well....

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/22/14 03:58 PM

Hey Bullfrog try sprinkling some arm and hammer baking soda in case! I have some in my case and when it gets in padding it doesn't get everywhere and will soak up the smell. Can always taking padding out and throw in dryer to tumble or beat the dust out.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/22/14 09:54 PM

cool dad. Want a brother?

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/22/14 10:53 PM

Jdk --- yea, that'd be sweet. Finally a hunting buddy!

banana
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/22/14 11:21 PM

welcome to the addiction!

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/23/14 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: RLoving1
Hey Bullfrog try sprinkling some arm and hammer baking soda in case! I have some in my case and when it gets in padding it doesn't get everywhere and will soak up the smell. Can always taking padding out and throw in dryer to tumble or beat the dust out.

THAT is a good idea!
Posted By: Ryan81

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/28/14 03:53 PM

That looks kinda like one of the Swhacker broadheads I have. But not positive.

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/29/14 01:41 AM

Well guys for really not being much of a bow hunter
.I dialed in my bow 3days ago and haven't put it down, nailed 20-30-40 dead on even with cross wind I made upx for it and still made dead center at all ranmges. .. I have just 2 field tips so I made some yards on my legs lol..

Re: ROOKIE ... - 11/29/14 04:08 AM

Bullfrog --- PM me please
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum