Texas Hunting Forum

Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old?

Posted By: NDN98

Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 11/10/14 03:49 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for a good starter bow/archery set for a 6 year old? My daughter is dead set on getting one for Christmas.
Posted By: esnow74

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 11/10/14 04:21 AM

there is a bow from Diamond made to grow with the kids. I got one for my daughter at Christmas last year, she was 7 at the time. It seems like they have 2 that fit that description but I got the smallest one and it is widely adjustable.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 11/10/14 11:53 AM

Diamond Atomic is the mini-me of the Infinite Edge bow. Both are very good starter bows with the Atomic being better for smaller kids. The Infinite edge can be setup for any kid that can hold 3.2 lbs at arms length, the Atomic only weighs 1.9 lbs and is adjustable 6-29lbs and 12-24 inches. When the kid out grows it think about turning it into a fishing bow, turned up to 29lbs and outfitted it makes a fun bow for bow fishing shooting from the hip for an adult.

mini-genesis is another with 6-12 lbs and no letoff works well just not sure what the weight if the bow is.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 11/10/14 11:56 AM

At 6 I would just buy her a Nerf.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 11/10/14 11:45 PM

A little older and a Mission Craze would be hard to beat. Adjustable from 15-70lbs and 19-30 inches of draw. My fiancé shoots one and so does my dad. Great little bows.
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 11/17/14 12:45 AM

We got my son a Diamond Atomic. It is a great little bow and is WAY faster than the other "toy" boys for kids his age. The Infinite Edge was way to big and heavy for him.

He is 6 and very big/strong for his age.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 11/18/14 01:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!
Posted By: DCtheRev

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 11/18/14 04:14 PM

My 9 year old shoots the Diamond and loves it. I am able to adjust it as he grows and we shouldn't have to buy another one until he gets much older.
Posted By: Jtmeeks

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 11/30/14 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
At 6 I would just buy her a Nerf.

COME ON! your just no fun! laugh
Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 12/03/14 05:38 AM

Definitely the Atomic. PSE and Hoyt also have bows for little shooters as well. I started my daughter out with her first compound bow at 6, it was a Nuclear Ice (predecessor to the Atomic), and was a fantastic little bow for her to start off with.

Don't look at "grow with me" bows until she is 9 or 10, depending on how big she is. The little ones, the physical weight of the bow is just as important as the draw weight. Too heavy, and it is no fun to shoot.
Posted By: Wolverine

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 12/05/14 02:01 AM

Can't beat the Diamond Atomic, my son started with it when he was 5. It's much better than any of the other off the shelf youth bows. After a year with his fingers I even added a D loop and got him a release. It's easy to adjust by yourself as they grow and get stronger. I moved him to a Mission Craze this year and the Atomic to his younger sister up
Posted By: fencewire

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 12/11/14 07:43 PM

Ok, my son, also 6, unprompted from me, I have never bow hunted, other than fish many years ago and for Alligator gar asked for a Bow and arrow and target pig for Christmas.

We took him to Cabela's and had him draw the Diamond at 15lbs and it was tough, but for the 2nd time ever drawing it, got it pretty easy, so my dad picked this up for him for 40$ I think on sale? Was that a horrible decision?

http://www.basspro.com/Bear-Archery-Brave-Youth-Compound-Bow-Set/product/14091907120614/

We almost got the diamond since it can go down to 5lbs or so, but didn't want to drop the extra coin, since I don't bow hunt, yet... just on a passing whim of a 6 year old. Of course if he decides it's for him, I would of course have to get one as well...

Posted By: Jtmeeks

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 12/11/14 09:54 PM

If I recall, the diamond infinate edge goes down to 5lbs draw
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 12/12/14 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Turkeyslayer1221
If I recall, the diamond infinate edge goes down to 5lbs draw

It goes to that but at the short draw lengths, if the youth can hold 3.2 lbs at arms length the Infinite Edge can be fit to them. If not the Atomic which weighs less than 2lbs can be fit to them.

The bear brave bows do well down to about 18 lbs then the cables get loose on most of them the limbs just do not have the tension to keep the, tight at the lower poundagws they are supposed to be able to be turned down to.
Posted By: fencewire

Re: Starter Bow/archery set for a 6 year old? - 12/12/14 02:08 PM

greeaat... thanks for the heads up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum