Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Tracking

Posted By: stxhunter

Deer Tracking - 10/04/14 02:25 AM

In an effort to keep my dogs nose fresh I'm offering up free tracking dog services. I'm not promising anything, but he's been pretty good on trails and found several deer so far. Dog will remain on leash the entire time for HIS protection. I would be willing to drive about 1.5hrs from the DFW area. Feel free to call or text me at (956)793-0904 with any questions you may have.

Some things to keep in mind if you should need help:

I've been getting lots of calls to help so we've been pretty busy. PLEASE, IF YOU NEED HELP CALL ME BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!! I've had way too many hunters call after several days/hours worth of tracking and unsuccessful looking. Please call me BEFORE overly contaminating the area or waiting several days.

Try not to contaminate the area too much, it can easily confuse the dog. If you've been tracking for a while and are giving it a "break" because you haven't found anything it's probably time to call someone with a dog.

Every animal taken is important to me. Wether it's a hog, doe, spike, or trophy of a lifetime. Don't hesitate to call if you think you may need help. My dog and I will do all we can to find your animal!

If you have any deer legs or deer blood you are planning on getting rid of please let me know. This will be useful on mock tracks during the off season!
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Deer Tracking - 10/04/14 04:25 AM

That's a great service you have. I have a Doberman that helps me on pure instinct and he usually finds the deer. Would love to visit with you on the phone about training tips
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: Deer Tracking - 10/04/14 04:42 AM

That's a good deal. We had a mut groing up never even was able to jump into the truck but would almost pee her self trying to go. My grandma would always have to put her up when we went hunting she would just go crazy when she saw you get a gun. After an hour or so she would let her out. When you did see a deer and shoot I'm not kidding before you sat your gun down and crawled ou of the three she would pass you like a guided missle lol. Even when you were getting to the back Half of 400 acres She would hear it. By the time you got to your deer all 15 pounds of her was trying to drag the deer back to the house like a dog playing tug with a rope. Man she cracked me up we never lost a deer one had gone close to half a mile. The only box blind we had was right behind their house she would even sit in it with you never made a sound she looked like a kid with buck fever when you started bringing up the gun and would tear the walls down to get after um after the shot. Really miss her I'm sure you have about as much fun working the dogs as hunting. What kind of dogs do you have?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Deer Tracking - 10/04/14 04:38 PM

Helluva an offer. Hope I don't have to call you on that. wink
Posted By: B Razorback

Re: Deer Tracking - 10/06/14 12:57 AM

Well dang I should have called you yesterday. I can't find a deer at our place so we gave up. If we were still there, I would be giving you a call

Re: Deer Tracking - 10/06/14 04:27 PM

Glad to be able to help anyone I can. Went out on a call early last season and tracked for several hundred yards without any visible blood, but I was trusting my dog as much as possible. Ended up calling the track off figuring the deer would make it. A few days later got a text that the deer showed up again at the feeder and had been shot. THE ORIGINAL SHOT WAS IN THE FOOT OF THE DEER! No wonder we couldn't find it!

Again, the biggest thing to remember is NOT TO CONTAMINATE the area. It's tough to bring in my dog after people have been looking and dragging scent in the area for hours before and right up to the time we arrive.

Re: Deer Tracking - 10/21/14 04:23 PM

ttt
Posted By: Terry Chester

Re: Deer Tracking - 11/03/14 06:47 AM

I think this would be a good list to get put in a sticky file.

Moderator's what about it?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Deer Tracking - 11/03/14 04:15 PM

Put the OP in this thread in the blood trailing thread in the Deer Hunting Forum and brought it back up as a sticky
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum