Texas Hunting Forum

My first Rage experience...

Posted By: Jack Todd

My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 01:08 AM

I was up in the stand a couple days ago trying to thin out a couple doe with MLDs. A nice doe came in and i drew back. I was at full draw when i noticed that one side of my rage blade came unhooked. I was at full draw with a doe looking at me so i decided to go ahead and take the shot. It flew high and hit her in the upper back. I was fortunate to track her down. Now looking back i probably shouldn't have taken the shot. They seem to me to come unhooked easily. What are your thoughts?

Posted By: 7mag

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 01:11 AM

Hwy_Man gave me a brand new pack of 3 blades, I haven't tried em but continue to read the post on them. The more I read the more I get discouraged though.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 02:10 AM

Now ya know why I gave them to you.

Posted By: erniejs

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 02:13 AM

Good argument for my G5's

Posted By: Bowtech82

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 03:25 AM

Thats why I shoot Slick Tricks

Posted By: Curtis

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 12:03 PM

I'm still sticking with my Montec's.

Posted By: rtp

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Bowtech82

x2

Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 04:04 PM

Never have that prob with the two blade, but you have to watch not to bump stuff with them, that goes with any mech. though

Posted By: Skeeter TZX 200

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 05:58 PM

sometimes they do fall out if u have a worn o ring, just make sure u have a good o ring on there

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 09:08 PM

Never had that problem out of my Inverters or Grim Reapers

Posted By: big10

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 09:12 PM

I got some heavier O-rings from an auto shop and since then havnt had any problems with them comming out.

Posted By: crankn101

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 10:08 PM

Over 30 kills, zero problems.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 10:33 PM

As I have said in some other post, I have had problems with Rage. I know people that swear by them but mine deflected after impact. Just talked to a buddy in Colorado that shot a mule deer with Rage and his arrow deflected, making a total of five people that I know who had the same problem. All happened in a two year period.

I use Spitfire's and never had a problem. Don't like any of them that have o-rings, but I have been really impressed with the performance of the mechanical broadheads.

Glad that you found the deer.

Posted By: hoyt1991

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/28/10 10:46 PM

thats why i shoot 4 blade muzzys...gave up on mechanicals

Posted By: bouxriverkiller

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/29/10 12:13 AM

Slick tricks?Arnt they a knock off of muzzys?

Posted By: Jayburl

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/29/10 01:12 AM

put a little string wax on the end of the blades it holds them in better

Posted By: Jack Todd

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/29/10 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
As I have said in some other post, I have had problems with Rage. I know people that swear by them but mine deflected after impact. Just talked to a buddy in Colorado that shot a mule deer with Rage and his arrow deflected, making a total of five people that I know who had the same problem. All happened in a two year period.

I use Spitfire's and never had a problem. Don't like any of them that have o-rings, but I have been really impressed with the performance of the mechanical broadheads.

Thats what mine did! It hit her hight and deflected off

Posted By: aggiehunter3

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/29/10 03:49 AM

Swhackers! up

Posted By: fishhound

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/29/10 04:28 PM

I had the same exact thing happen to my on my first trip with the rage. Cost me a NICE Tom Turkey. I didn't take the shot though. The movement from trying to fix the blade ruined the hunt. Those turkeys have really good eyes.

Posted By: Curtis

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/29/10 06:40 PM

I'm just curious but you say it deflected and I'm wondering at what kind of angle this must have been. Was it on a good broadside shot or quartering away? Just want more info is all.

I don't shoot and I'm not defending them. But I have seen a few of those rage broadheads make some long slashes on some game and didn't even crack a bone. But on those shot's the shot angles that the hunter took I wouldn't have personally taken or advised to do so. They were always a quartering away shot and distances around 25-40 yds that I can remember. From my journal I staretd a few years ago I see there were 4 instances of this with the rage broad head. One with a two blade and the others with a three blade. All on deer size game from fallow to red deer and scimitar oryx.

Shot placement is definetly key. I still feel that way no matter what broadhead and other equipment you use.

I still wouldn't use these broadheads or any other brand of mechanical. I just like a good fixed blade and I have seen various ones that work quite well in my opinion. I just don't trust the mechanical broadheads.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/29/10 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtis

I'm just curious but you say it deflected and I'm wondering at what kind of angle this must have been. Was it on a good broadside shot or quartering away? Just want more info is all.

I don't shoot and I'm not defending them. But I have seen a few of those rage broadheads make some long slashes on some game and didn't even crack a bone. But on those shot's the shot angles that the hunter took I wouldn't have personally taken or advised to do so. They were always a quartering away shot and distances around 25-40 yds that I can remember. From my journal I staretd a few years ago I see there were 4 instances of this with the rage broad head. One with a two blade and the others with a three blade. All on deer size game from fallow to red deer and scimitar oryx.

Shot placement is definetly key. I still feel that way no matter what broadhead and other equipment you use.

I still wouldn't use these broadheads or any other brand of mechanical. I just like a good fixed blade and I have seen various ones that work quite well in my opinion. I just don't trust the mechanical broadheads.

The shot was on a West Texas Doe that weighed 72 pounds. She was perfectly broadside and at 18 yards out of an 8' tripod. The shot placement was about 4" behind the shoulder and just below the center line of the body.

When the arrow hit, it deflected and went straight up through the spine. The doe dropped right in her tracks but I lost all confidence. When I cleaned her, it was obvious it hit a rib but there was nothing else that would have indicated that it should have deflected.

It was different than the other hunters that had the arrow cut the side of the animal. I have seen those post and heard some of the stories. Mine actually penetrated and deflected after it had entered the deer. Some of the guys that I have talked to had the arrow deflect down and lost the animal.

Posted By: BWRanch

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/29/10 08:10 PM

100grn Vortex -

Posted By: Dan_the_Bowhunter

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/30/10 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: rtp
Originally Posted By: Bowtech82

x2

X3

Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/30/10 03:27 AM

Had that happen to me several times this past weekend. Didn't realize I had bumped anything though. Each connecting shop I had bent blades and or cut "o" rings. Hadn't even thought about having to replace the blades, but they are thin. I did make some high to the right shots and couldn't explain them. Checked the sights in a target with field tips and was on. This is something I'll have to keep a check on.

Posted By: Accutrigger33

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/30/10 04:04 AM

just had my first rage experience...used it on a 280lb kansas brut...double lung and a piece of the liver...ran no lie 15 yrds...inside of the deer was a mess...then again it was only 13yrds...lol...didnt get to see much of the flight

Posted By: Bubbamaniac

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/30/10 01:19 PM

used a 2 blade 125 grain rage on a 125lb hog entered one side behing the sholder and out the other side ran maybe 40 yard and rolled up head over tail. But i really dont like the thin blades and having to mess with the o rings so ill be switching to some 125 grain G5 montecs soon.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/30/10 02:15 PM

I will only waste them on hogs from now on.

Posted By: catchrcall

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/30/10 02:53 PM

they'll do worse on hogs than they do deer, hogs are way tougher.

Posted By: el Compadre

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/30/10 08:18 PM

Luckly, i haven't had any trouble with mine...Two arrows two kills...And a crazy blood trail..I like the Rage,,

Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: My first Rage experience... - 11/30/10 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: crankn101
Over 30 kills, zero problems.

x2!!! All three members on our bow lease use them and all have had zero problems for years!! Many, many, many kills and quickly recovered animals!

Geez what a worn out topic! IMHO, 99% of Rage Hate posts are Operator Error.....or simply an easy excuse for poor or choked shots! It's not the arrow, it's the Indian!!!! laugh

Posted By: fbchunter

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/01/10 04:44 AM

G5 Stryker 100 grain!

Posted By: Blood Trail

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/02/10 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Thundervee
Never have that prob with the two blade, but you have to watch not to bump stuff with them, that goes with any mech. though

Not true. You never shot Grim Reapers or Blood Runners, have you?

Posted By: J-Rust Welding

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/02/10 08:56 PM

check out crimpson talon broadheads and read into them and if you know a little math do the projections of the flight velocity and drill on impact thru the deer or hog. ive had several kills on deer and hogs with crimpson

Posted By: ChosenOne

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/02/10 11:54 PM

rofl rofl rofl rofl sleep2

Posted By: Gators2561

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/03/10 06:19 PM

Rage works great when they "work" to many negatives to keep them on the shelf in my opinion. I have had great success with them and I have horrible outcomes with them. Will not ever try them again. To many people have had negatives about them and it is no coincidence. A great broadhead should have a 100% good feedback. My most consistent has been the muzzy 4 blade and I'm sure there still isn't 100% feedback on it. But why risk the rage when there is def a lot more consistent blade out there? Im just gonna bet within a few years the Rage will fade back out.

Posted By: el Compadre

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/06/10 07:04 PM

This was my first RAGE experience..

Posted By: sloughfoot

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/08/10 03:33 AM

I shot two does during bow season one with a rage 2 blade an the other with a grim reaper. they both ran maybe 10 yds and the holes were huge. But i love my rage they perform awesome for me part of the problem could be the poundage your bow is shooting an the speed of the arrow if your shooting a lower pondage bow maybe you could try the rage 40ke they work great my wife shoots a passion 25in draw 48 pounds an killed a 9pt and a spike with them she hit the 9pt in the spine an dropped him an the spike was quarting away complete pass through and no prob blew threw him ray charles could have follwed the blood trail.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/08/10 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: bouxriverkiller
Slick tricks?Arnt they a knock off of muzzys?

Not even, muzzy suck

Posted By: passthru

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/08/10 02:57 PM

Nothing but good on them so far. I do shoot Thunderheads on deer but I rage the hogs. Stalking is a pain due to pulling the blades loose on brush but stand hunting I have had no issues.

Posted By: Alec Castonguay

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/09/10 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Smiling Mallard
IMHO, 99% of Rage Hate posts are Operator Error.....or simply an easy excuse for poor or choked shots! It's not the arrow, it's the Indian!!!! laugh

X2!!! EXACTLY!! Rage are awsome and i love them. Most bad reviews are from bad shots!

Posted By: Gators2561

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/09/10 03:41 PM

Bad shots how do you figure? Most the reviews are negative because the rage is a horrible design. Its entry hole one of the best if not the best same with the exit great broad head. Now the problem myself and others I noticed are having is keeping the blades locked in place. You have to alway keep an eye on them to make sure you do not shoot with them loose if you do that is when you have a bad experience with them. You absolutely can not walk and stalk hunt with them. Change the design a little bit and you could have a great product but until then there is gonna be debate. Muzzy's SUck? now thats a first?

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/09/10 03:45 PM

Here's is another example, grandson shot a big boar last weekend with a rifle, while cutting out the back strap I notice something sticking out the side of the hog. I cut the skin back and it was a rage 2 blade broadhead, NO pentration what so ever, did hit some rib bone. I guess I will not be even be using them on hog now.

Posted By: JFife

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/09/10 09:30 PM

The rage may have some good reviews but im not going to shoot any broadheads with just as many negative comments as positive. You only get one shot most of the time and I want to shoot a broadhead that is reliable like the Magnus Stinger. i have never had a problem with them and they are sharp as hell. After being shot through an animal just a few seconds on some crock sticks and they are back to shaving sharp. great blood trails too.

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/09/10 09:39 PM

sweet gloves

Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/09/10 11:26 PM

I use the Trophy Ridge Meat Seekers 3-blade. Very pleased. I was having too many deflected shots with the NAP Spitfire XP Pro. Like the simple concept but too many deflections.

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/09/10 11:49 PM

I've been using NAP Thundeheads since the early 80's. Never had a problem. I never thought about changing. I don't care how many TV personalities say Rage is the bomb. I don't need any mechanical, computer operated, opening/closing space shuttle type devices, I just dance with the one that brung me. I did break a blade in half once, shooting it thru 3/4" plywood. But I shot it thru the plywood 6 times before it broke.

Posted By: erniejs

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/10/10 12:17 AM

If I was stout as Tony I'd just chunk rocks at em to kill em!!!!!!

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/10/10 12:22 AM

rofl

I usually just give 'em the "stare" and they fall over dead.

Kinda like "The Men Who Stare at Goats" LOL

Posted By: passthru

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/10/10 12:24 AM

I've shot all of mine more than once. One hog I shot at and hit a cedar branch, (drilled it dead center), took it back to camp and sharpened it, stalked another pig and punched its ribs at 26 yards and got a complete passthru. No one and dones here.

Posted By: Ramtaka

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/13/10 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: fbchunter
G5 Stryker 100 grain!

I second the motion

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/16/10 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Gators2561
Bad shots how do you figure? Most the reviews are negative because the rage is a horrible design. Its entry hole one of the best if not the best same with the exit great broad head. Now the problem myself and others I noticed are having is keeping the blades locked in place. You have to alway keep an eye on them to make sure you do not shoot with them loose if you do that is when you have a bad experience with them. You absolutely can not walk and stalk hunt with them. Change the design a little bit and you could have a great product but until then there is gonna be debate. Muzzy's SUck? now thats a first?

All im saying is that this is one of the first times i have ever heard about the rage being the problem without a bad shot happening. 99% of the time people will be all upset becuase they didnt get any penetration becuase they either shot them in the shoulder blade or some other tough spot. everyone that has shot a rage and made a good shot will and probably is hooked. And even what happened on this post was human error he shouldnt have tooken the shot. It just is starting to get on my nerves all of these negative posts when they are ALL almost becuase of human error. and i spot and stock all the time with my rage and they have yet to fall out of the O ring. banana2 Have not had one error with the rages that was not my fualt.

Posted By: JFife

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/16/10 07:40 AM

magnus stinger with a 58# bow will go right through a shoulder blade and get a pass through. just saying

Posted By: HoytRage

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/16/10 02:05 PM

For the past two years i am 9 for 9 on watching my animals go down. Five deer and four turkeys, I love Rage.

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/17/10 02:00 AM

I am not arguing that a magnus stinger wont go through an animals shoulder blade. obviously if you are looking for pass throughs everytime then a fixed blade is going to be better. the point of rage is the size of the whole. as long as you shoot them in the right spot they will not run out of sight.

Posted By: OUTDOORSMAN81

Re: My first Rage experience... - 12/26/10 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ACWhiteTail
Originally Posted By: Gators2561

All im saying is that this is one of the first times i have ever heard about the rage being the problem without a bad shot happening. 99% of the time people will be all upset becuase they didnt get any penetration becuase they either shot them in the shoulder blade or some other tough spot. everyone that has shot a rage and made a good shot will and probably is hooked. And even what happened on this post was human error he shouldnt have tooken the shot. It just is starting to get on my nerves all of these negative posts when they are ALL almost becuase of human error. and i spot and stock all the time with my rage and they have yet to fall out of the O ring. banana2 Have not had one error with the rages that was not my fualt.

Exactly! you just proved the point against rage. (It is the same reason you are not allowed to rifle hunt with ball amunition.) If you hit them in the perfect spot they work. But also if you hit the animal in the perfect spot with a field point and target arrows it will work as well. Why are we desinging and selling broadheads that have issues if the hit bone such as a shoulder bone or a large rib bone. Why run the risk of something goign wrong. there is always a chance the animal could move, or the wind or human error. Why not prepare for reality and minimize the number of wounded/lost game by using a broadhead and arrow setup that works 99% of the time?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum