Texas Hunting Forum

lbj grasslands

Posted By: del616

lbj grasslands - 09/25/10 07:44 PM

anyone here hunting this bow season or have stories from the past

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/28/10 10:29 PM

I am going to have the whole grasslands to myself, cool.

Posted By: deedeetaylor

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/29/10 02:40 AM

Every time I've tried to hunt there I've had to contend with trail horse rides and hunting dog contests.

Posted By: mandrake

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/29/10 02:42 AM

personally ive found tons of sign, even bedding areas, havn't got anything yet. thinking about getting a black powder due to some of the open areas and the trails ive seen across them.

Posted By: Dacotua

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/29/10 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: del616
anyone here hunting this bow season or have stories from the past

Take a game cart. Walk into the woods about 300 yards or so off any horse path. Just make sure you are not near a horsepath, because someone will ride by.

THE BEST TIME TO GO is Tuesday thru Thursday, you'll be the only one out there. During the weekends, you can sometimes run into a lot of people.

I've shot a Buck, and a couple of does out there. But again, it was like 300+ yards away from any roads or horsepaths. (Hence take a game cart).

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/29/10 11:17 PM

Thanks, I have a couple of stands built on smaller sections without roads.

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/29/10 11:56 PM

I just can't bring myself to hunt public land. Good luck tho.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/30/10 12:41 AM

Beaware of the Clowns

Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/30/10 01:34 AM

Thanks, I have a couple of stands built on smaller sections without roads.

Be careful, permanent stands are not allowed. If they catch you in one of those stands they will fine you.

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/30/10 10:29 AM

just added a little brush around tree

Posted By: jayb

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/30/10 07:48 PM

I'll be up there Wed morning. Hopefully I'll be the one dragging one out. Hunted it last year saw a doe & coyote w/o any shoots though. Still dont Need the $48 permit right? Need to see if it changed

Posted By: PaulsBunyan

Re: lbj grasslands - 09/30/10 09:56 PM

just added a little brush around tree

yep..you are allowed to make natural blinds out of tree limbs and loose vegetation.

Posted By: Gators2561

Re: lbj grasslands - 10/01/10 03:10 PM

I wont go opening weekend cause I have two leases and it gets way crowded on opening weekend. But I still spend alot of time there cause it is hard hunting that I enjoy. Like mentioned before go on a weekday. I have been hunting out there for over 20 years and its changed alot but still more deer out there than ever. Taken many many many deer out of there some up to 130 in. But it was easy with rifle back in the day and you never ran into anyone. The AR's may make it hard to tag a buck but plenty of doe this time of year. Great hunting but alot of ignorant people to deal with just cover some ground.

Posted By: Cory Lee

Re: lbj grasslands - 10/04/10 03:53 AM

Went out this afternoon. 6 people walked past me between 6:30 and dark.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum