Texas Hunting Forum

all purpose shotgun.

Posted By: doubleH

all purpose shotgun. - 09/16/06 12:23 AM

Howdy,

I'm new to this forum and to the hunting world. I really enjoy reading all threads. It's full of great information for begginer, like me. My good buddy took me turkey and dove hunting this year and now I'm hooked.

here is my question:
I'm looking for a all prupose shotguns. Turkey, Dove and water fowl? Make, Barrel lenght, gauge..etc

Thanks....

Posted By: SaginawHunter

Re: all purpose shotgun. - 09/16/06 12:48 AM

Welcome to the forum. You cant go wrong with a mossberg 835 IMHO

Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: all purpose shotgun. - 09/16/06 01:32 AM

Mossberg is a good un...I use a remmy 870 Express 12 guage ...wrapped in camo tape and with custom chokes..but it is UGLY and never fails to work and if I lose it or break it I ain't got much in it except longevity...but then I've been known to paddle a boat, beat the dogs or offensive politically incorrect people and kill birds all with the same shotgun
NOT to be confused with a NICE shotgun for sure
Ron

Posted By: DannyB

Re: all purpose shotgun. - 09/16/06 04:47 PM

First you need to determine what you want to spend. A few hundred bucks will get a new pump or a pretty good used semi-auto.

I and all of my relatives that I have hunted with since about 1970 use nothing but Remington 1100's. I bought my son a Youth 1100 in 20 gauge when he was eight. The 1187 is the next step up in Remington and will shoot 3" shells. They make an 1187 that will shoot 3.5" shells if you need that much bang.

One cousin broke the trend and got a Benelli Super Black Eagle a few years ago. I think you can about get two or three 1100's for the price of the Benelli. I guess to each his own.

You will get the "Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge" type of replies with a question as general as you are starting with.

Good luck,

Posted By: boliverpete

Re: all purpose shotgun. - 09/16/06 05:46 PM

I think I would look for a pump. One that will shoot 2 3/4" shells and 3" shells, I think I saw an 870 at WalMart that would shoot all 3, 2 3/4, 3", 3 1/2". Something of that nature would be great. Screw in chokes, and you can hunt dove, turkey or whatever. Get you a barrel for shooting slugs, and now you've got even more you can do with it. Semi autos are great but not sure how many of them you can find that will shoot anything but 2 3/4" shells. NEF makes some good single shots that will shoot everything. Dove hunting might be tough with a single shot unless your a good shot.

Posted By: biz

Re: all purpose shotgun. - 09/16/06 09:48 PM

870 rem. 26in barrel 3in cham. $250 give or take......

Posted By: Quailhunter

Re: all purpose shotgun. - 09/16/06 10:55 PM

I can't argue with the 870 as I used one for several years. My beater shotgun now is a Benelli Nova. Picked it up last year at Gander Mountain for $299. You can't kill this gun.

Now that is my pheasant/waterfowl/turkey gun. For quail and dove I opt for my 20 gauge Ruger Red Label.

Posted By: doubleH

Re: all purpose shotgun. - 09/17/06 02:28 PM

Howdy,

Thank you for all the great suggestion....

doubleH.....

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum