Texas Hunting Forum

opinion on New England .223 crackover

Posted By: Hunts_With_Stick

opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/04/09 07:14 PM

I'm thinking about buying my nephew a .223 he's 8 and a fairly small kid, so I was thinking about the single shot. What do you guys think? Good idea or bad idea for a starter gun. The shot would be around 50 yards and he has been shooting for about 6 months a piece of crap Rossi that won't hold a group for nothing. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Posted By: 30378

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/04/09 07:24 PM

Children need to be started out right. Most of the time that means making it fun for the little guy. Someone once said only accurate rifles are fun. Save a few more bucks and get him a Rem 700 in 223 from Walmart. Not much more but his enjoyment will be mega-fold. His will probably be just like Dads and he can keep it a lifetime. First rifles are special!!

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/04/09 07:27 PM

Do you know how much they run at Wal Mart?

Thats not a bad idea, Thanks.

Posted By: GSS

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/04/09 08:55 PM

NEF's ain't the H&R's of old; they often shoot very well, and have decent to great triggers. Youth models are available.
But over the last 2-3 yrs their price increases are significantly more than other types, often approaching some basic bolt-action models.
At a good price, NEF's are a solid buy.

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/04/09 09:07 PM

That's the first I've heard that about a Rossi. My NEF and H&R's do great.

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/04/09 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
That's the first I've heard that about a Rossi. My NEF and H&R's do great.

Yea man I am pretty confident in my ability to sight in a rifle but after about 4 boxes of shells I gave up and sent it to the guys in Benbrook. Those guys are ex military and top notch shooters, they told me it just wasn't happening on getting a group within the size of an 10 in diameter. That's why I'm looking for another option, I have a buddy who has NEF .223 and man it shoots great especially for 175$ at the gun show.

Posted By: Rowney

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/04/09 10:24 PM

My 204 NEF is a great gun and a great shooter. It has the bull barrel, and it will shoot as good as any gun i have. Just put good optics on whatever you buy, and enjoy.

Posted By: 10pointers

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/04/09 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Rowney
My 204 NEF is a great gun and a great shooter. It has the bull barrel, and it will shoot as good as any gun i have. Just put good optics on whatever you buy, and enjoy.

+1 on the optics

Posted By: twice70

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/05/09 12:01 AM

We have one in 243 that just sits in the safe most of the time. It is a good little rifle, but my oldest son graduated to a 308 and my youngest isn't hunting yet. It's really accurate now that I found a bullet it likes, but it's picky about ammo. I also had a problem with hulls sticking, but polished the chamber and fixed that. They are good starter guns, but like somebody mentioned already, for a little more $$$ you can get a 700 ADL.

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/05/09 12:06 AM

See what my little H&R 45-70 did? It does pretty good 1 1/2 groups at 100 yds. The only ammo I've shot in it is Hornady LE. Havn't tried any others yet.

Posted By: twice70

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/05/09 11:26 AM

Nice!! I've actually though about buying one in 45/70, they have one here at our little local gun shop. Didn't know they made them in stainless, that's pretty neat!!

Posted By: cmc

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/05/09 11:49 AM

IMO Rossi=junk and the H&R very good for the money. The smaller calibers seem to shoot well.

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/05/09 01:13 PM

They don't make them in stainless anymore. This one was a present f/ my wife in 1992. It's the SB2 Pardner model. This one came in 270 and 12 gauge. I bought the 45-70 bbl just for this hunt. That's why the blue barrel. It's a shooter w/ the 270 also.

Posted By: drj3828

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/05/09 02:26 PM

I have four of the N E and H&R's they are well worth the $, The best shooting one I got is the .223 it has a bull barrel and a simmons scope and I can shoot just as good with it as my AR.

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/05/09 03:38 PM

Thanks fellas for the input. I think I'm convinced!

Posted By: jdickey

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/05/09 04:20 PM

If you can locate one...pick up a HOWA in the .223. It comes in a YOUTH PACKAGE (scope/rifle combo) and is an EXCELLENT youth gun! It is a bolt action, very smooth, the same action used in the Weatherby Vanguards.

Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/12/09 06:02 AM

Originally Posted By: jdickey
If you can locate one...pick up a HOWA in the .223. It comes in a YOUTH PACKAGE (scope/rifle combo) and is an EXCELLENT youth gun! It is a bolt action, very smooth, the same action used in the Weatherby Vanguards.

and very accurate. Their not the prettiest gun out there, but they shoot very well

Posted By: redonthehead

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/13/09 03:20 PM

If its anything like their single shot shotguns, it will kick like a mule.

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/13/09 03:35 PM

Frisbie has one for sale in the classified pretty cheap !!

I have never owned one but have friends that have them and they ae accurate little rifles !! Dont think you can go wrong !! up

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: opinion on New England .223 crackover - 09/13/09 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: redonthehead
If its anything like their single shot shotguns, it will kick like a mule.

You can fix that easily by adding some lead shot into the stock bolt hole under the butt pad.

Add a good recoil pad and you're good to go!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum