Texas Hunting Forum

Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly

Posted By: deewayne2003

Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/01/09 11:38 PM

A buddy of mine is thinking about buying a Howa for his first rifle and I have no experience with them,hes saying they claim a sub MOA gaurentee but ive never heard of it.

What do you guys who have used/seen them in the field think?

Posted By: TexasTransplant

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/02/09 12:03 AM

Howa makes Weatherby vanguards but writes "Weatherby" instead of "Howa" on them. I almost got one but went with a savage instead due to the accutrigger (and accustock if you select the right model).

The barrels are not button rifled, which may or may not make a dif to you.

The Howas are supposed to be good shooters. By reputation, you will want to replace the out-of-the-box trigger which can be done for under $100 bucks if you DIY.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/02/09 12:20 AM

ugly for sure

Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/02/09 12:28 AM

Wby Vanguard IMO is the best $400 rifle on the market. Potential upgrades as always in this price range will be free float/glass bed & trigger tuning jobs unless you buy a Tikka that starts around $600. I alos like the 24" barrls on all calibers for max velocity in non magnum calibers. Howa uses a SAKO style modified claw extractor which allows for a complete enclosed or recessed bolt face, adds 3 gas exhaust ports on the side of the bolt for added safety, intead of venting blowback gas thru the magazine well in case of a ruptured case/primer aka "blowup". Wby markets a MOA model that has been ID'd at the factory test firing session for $$$'s more but I'd not spend the Xtra Bux me myself and use the Bux on 'smith work in tuning or a scope upgrade.

If I didn't own Tikka's in calibers available in both brands I'd be buying Vanguards...except for my Winnie M70 Classic 300WMg that may wind up being turned into a full custom some day smile !
Ron

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/02/09 03:52 AM

I was trying to push him to a Ruger 77 hawkeye stainless with the new LC6 trigger system, the integrated rings alone make up for the difference in cost and I also agree that Howa makes and UGLY rifle.

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/02/09 03:55 AM

I love my Howa .270. It's extremely accurate I couldnt be happier with it. banana2

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/02/09 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: deewayne2003
A buddy of mine is thinking about buying a Howa for his first rifle and I have no experience with them,hes saying they claim a sub MOA gaurentee but ive never heard of it.

What do you guys who have used/seen them in the field think?

It's true and I can shoot that easy with this rifle.

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/02/09 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: deewayne2003
I was trying to push him to a Ruger 77 hawkeye stainless with the new LC6 trigger system, the integrated rings alone make up for the difference in cost and I also agree that Howa makes and UGLY rifle.

I'll try to post up pics, but mine is the wood stock with checkered grips and it looks as nice as any remmy or ruger. The synthetics are super ugly though. up

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/02/09 04:11 PM

yeah hes wanting the syntheic with stainless, good to hear you gus are pleased with them. I havent had any friends own one so I was in the air about it.

What scope rings do you guys use on them?

Posted By: dkershen

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/04/09 02:54 AM

Took 4 head of African plains game this past summer with a Howa in .308. PH had worked up a custom load in 168 grain barnes triple shock that fired sub MOA. I consider it a very good shooter for the money... Only customizing on the gun was a trigger job.

Posted By: savagehunter83

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/04/09 02:58 PM

I have owned a few Howas bought the first one new and the ones after used really if I ever go back to a normal hunter weight rifle this will be what I get the triggers are easy to tune. I put about 75 in materials to accurarize it a bit and they all shot very well some in the 1/2 MOA I have had other friends use the actions for their F class guns. About the only thing not standard is the barrel uses a metric thread pattern to the action. This is no big deal to most pro gunsmiths but some try to re thread or THREAD OVER the existing threads in the action to but a standard threaded barrel in it. I have had a few rifles I wish I never traded out how is in a 3 way tie for first place. But will say this I made a killing off of the trade because how well the rifle would shoot. Now I just buy a gun ever so often when it gets to the point where it will shoot it goes in the safe and I buy another one.
Matt

Posted By: mrbigtexan

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/05/09 04:45 PM

howa also makes the smith&wesson 1500.

Posted By: TexasTransplant

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/06/09 01:41 AM

You can also buy a barreled action directly from howa (through your dealer) and get a stock separately.

Posted By: Hunt Texas

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/06/09 02:06 AM

Bought a lightly used Howa 1500 couple of years ago to keep in my old Jeep. The PO put a Timney trigger in it at about a crisp 2.5 lbs. Shoots great, and if you are looking for a gun you don't have to treat with kid gloves for fear of hurting it then this is it. Not pretty but definitely gets the job done. Think I paid $375 with a Burris Fullfield II scope on it. Hard to beat the value depending on your priorities.

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/06/09 02:46 AM

i love mine, shoot great and are priced well.

Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Howa rifles????- I want to hear the good,bad&ugly - 09/06/09 08:20 PM

I had a Howa .243 for about 18 years and have nothing but good comments. I would not hesitate to recommend Howa rifles or buy another one. I sold my H.243 to a close friend for his sons first deer rifle. I'll miss it but my friend and his son love it.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum