Texas Hunting Forum

Convincing yourself not to sell?

Posted By: jeepercreeper

Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 02:43 AM

Pulled a rifle out I was dead set on selling. Started taking pics, thinking about asking price. Cycled it a few times, dry fired it, fell in love with it again, put it back in the safe. How many of you do that?
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 03:05 AM

Not me but I should. I generally pay too much, tinker with it until I am bored, then sell for a large loss. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 03:25 AM

yes today with my .22 NRL gun
Posted By: ralph

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 03:28 AM

I have a S & W 9mm boxed up and ready to sell/trade but it is still sitting where I put it on Tuesday night...
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 03:33 AM

Been wanting a new rifle but can't justify buying it unless I sell another one. I'm just too lazy to do it!
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 12:00 PM

I have an 1892 copy and a sweetened Blackhawk, both in .357, I have been doing the very same with for months.

What's keeping me from it:
  • The revolver was my first gun purchase and I spent untold hours on it making it the way I want it.
  • I would need to sell them and ALL my .357 components and loading equipment as a package because if I cannot sell it all, I want to keep it all.
  • The sought after pre-safety original Amedeo Rossi took me five years to find and buy.
  • My brain gets tired when I try to price a rifle, revolver, dies, brass, molds, bullets that are already cast, OEM style bullets, spare parts, Hunter leather holster and cartridge belt, etc.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 03:31 PM

Lol, in 24hrs Ive gone from ready to sell rifle to ordering accessories for it. What is wrong with me?
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 03:43 PM

When I really want another new or used gun I go through my stable and try to decide if there is any I'd be willing to sell to pay for it. The criteria and my mood is ever changing regarding such.

But never do I decide to sell one just for the sake of selling it.
Posted By: Roughneck913

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 03:59 PM

I've done this a few times. Got a couple I bought that were smoking deals specifically for the purpose of reselling that I just cant quite bring myself to get rid of.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 04:04 PM

I have bought many guns over the last 55 years, but sold only one. The other guns that I no longer have were given to people who deeply appreciated the gift.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 04:06 PM

I’m kind of like Buzz, I can be talked out of most any of them. I enjoy the build…dropped a 30 Nosler in bedding compound yesterday that I’m anxious to see how it shoots. The unknown and chasing the accuracy potential of the rifle is my drug.

Saying that, I’ve got a 220 Swift that I told Ol’Thumper if I was to sell he’d get first shot…it’s a factory rifle and for some silly reason I can’t let go of it. I always wanted one, got it and now I rarely shoot it. I built a 22 Gaymoor this winter and I bet the Swift gets shot even less. Dumb…
Posted By: ep2621

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 04:42 PM

I used to sell/trade guns that I never used but no matter what I would always regret getting rid of it. I told myself that I’d never sell another one. Been years since I sold one and haven’t regretted my new policy since. That policy has also made my collection increase.
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 05:14 PM

They're just a tool, let them go, for the right price. Makes room for new tools.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 05:17 PM

Have a Remington Model 8 in .30 Remington with very good bore that was built a century ago this month: February of 1923. It is basically a rimless .30-30, which is a darned useful caliber to have around. I don't currently have a need for it, but I know the minute I sell it I will take one look at that poster of the cowboy armed with a Model 8 meeting the grizzly on a narrow trail ... and the romance of the whole thing will wash over me like a wave.
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 05:28 PM

I am pissed at myself whenever I sell or trade something and regret it evey single time. I am pretty sure I could raise a few 100k just by cleaning out my living room and I just can't make myself do it. I have twins coming soon so my wife may force the issue.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 05:34 PM

I’ve been off and on about selling a Marlin 39A I bought back in 1980 or so. I don’t really need it, don’t shoot it, and have nobody that’ll want it when I’m gone. That rifle has been lots of places with me over the decades, so there is sentimental attachment. It just sits in the safe.
Posted By: ep2621

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Jeem
They're just a tool, let them go, for the right price. Makes room for new tools.

A lot would be sold for the right price. I was talking about selling just to get another one. At one time I was impatient and had to have something right then. That is what led to regret.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by ep2621

A lot would be sold for the right price. I was talking about selling just to get another one. At one time I was impatient and had to have something right then. That is what led to regret.

If you are selling one tool to buy another, then you still only have the same amount of tools. Where's the fun in that? Buy a bigger toolbox instead!
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 05:55 PM

I've for sure got one out before to take pics for selling and put it away. Still have a couple that way and glad I didn't sell them.

I've sold a ton. Don't seriously regret any of them. Only one I sort of regret is my Tikka varmint 223. But even that I just have no use for. It would sit unused in the safe
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 06:44 PM

I have some guns that I haven’t fired in years and may never. No reason to sell though. Many rods and reels and I seldom fish anymore. Tools dang near everywhere that I may never need or use.

Only one wife though. I don’t need that kind of trouble.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 08:41 PM

I've never sold a gun. Never even thought about it. I buy it cuz I want it, not cuz I want to sell it.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
I've never sold a gun. Never even thought about it. I buy it cuz I want it, not cuz I want to sell it.

Same here. Intentionally parting with a firearm for any reason is just not in my DNA.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 09:22 PM

All the time. Of the guns I have sold during my lifetime, I have at some time later regretted selling more of those than I have not. My plan at this point in my life has been to sell most of my collection and hunting arsenal, but keep the best and replace with the proceeds a new much smaller collection and hunting arsenal of much nicer firearms. But it never happens. The good thing with that is most of my collector guns have gone up in value so much more than any investment I have ever made and continue to do so.
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

If you are selling one tool to buy another, then you still only have the same amount of tools. Where's the fun in that? Buy a bigger toolbox instead!

Upgrading to better tools!
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/26/23 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nolanco
Have a Remington Model 8 in .30 Remington with very good bore that was built a century ago this month: February of 1923. It is basically a rimless .30-30, which is a darned useful caliber to have around. I don't currently have a need for it, but I know the minute I sell it I will take one look at that poster of the cowboy armed with a Model 8 meeting the grizzly on a narrow trail ... and the romance of the whole thing will wash over me like a wave.

Yes I know what you mean. I have an old Remington model 8 and an 81 both in 35 Rem caliber. Texas Ranger Frank Hamer carried one at the Bonnie and Clyde ambush. I have more accurate guns but I just can't let them go.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/27/23 12:09 AM

Started to sell a couple in the last few years but caved in and kept…..probably sell a few after reaching 70 next year since no kids or grandkids.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/27/23 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I’ve been off and on about selling a Marlin 39A I bought back in 1980 or so. I don’t really need it, don’t shoot it, and have nobody that’ll want it when I’m gone. That rifle has been lots of places with me over the decades, so there is sentimental attachment. It just sits in the safe.

I have a 1951 39A peanut I bought right before the Marlins went to space on price. I have a 1951 Marlin 336RC to match and they both have Redfield peeps. There's a less desirable 1960's 336RC for sale here for $1500.

A Redfield peep for 39A/336 sold last week on eBay for $400.

That means my two 1951 Marlins with Redfield peeps are worth more than triple what I paid for them. Still I don't want to sell them.

My .357's ... yes, I do. But I don't want to go to the trouble. See my post above.
Posted By: 7six2

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/27/23 12:52 AM

I do that all the time with my AR-15. Love the way it handles but have no use for .223, and little interest in changing calibers.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/27/23 02:22 AM

I really need to thin the herd. I have bought several that I really don’t have time to play with.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/27/23 03:12 PM

All of mine save one are for sale for the right (and not stupid) price. My original 1979 .243 788 will never leave. The rest, enjoy them though I may, are just tools.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/27/23 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

Upgrading to better tools!

This is me. I used to have an accumulation mentality....after filling 2 large safes I don't need anymore guns. But I do like selling something and upgrading to something nicer, or something I will use more frequently or enjoy shooting more.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/27/23 08:44 PM

7six2, if you like the AR but not the caliber, just swap out the barrel and BCG to 6.5 Grendel.
Posted By: nesikabay

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/27/23 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by jeepercreeper
Pulled a rifle out I was dead set on selling. Started taking pics, thinking about asking price. Cycled it a few times, dry fired it, fell in love with it again, put it back in the safe. How many of you do that?

You need to give Buzz counseling. He could use it
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Convincing yourself not to sell? - 02/28/23 02:11 AM

As I said, never sold a gun and I have a safe full. When I buy one I buy reloading dyes, brass, etc. To me, they’re not tools but personal possessions. I’ve given a couple away. And then, there is way too much handloading STUFF. Heck, if I didn’t want the gun, I wouldn’t have bought it. Some are hundreds of years old.

I don’t shoot as much as I used to but I do have my own range with different stations. Going the next couple of days to see if I can hit anything after being released after surgery.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum