Texas Hunting Forum

Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed

Posted By: Bbear

Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 03:01 AM

So, my company truck decided to imitate a BBQ pit and caught the house on fire to boot.

The gun safe was in the garage on the opposite side but steam got into the safe. In case you didn't know it, it doesn't take long for the rust to start up.
I have the guns out of the safe and nearly all of them have rust at least on the barrels and most on the bolts. And possibly the bores. Interesting note, the rifle with cerakote only had a little rust on the part of the bolt not covered in cerakote.

So, my question is, who would be a good person to take the guns to? I need to find someone in the Midland/Odessa - San Angelo - Abilene area that can not only take them apart and check the internals but possibly re-blue or cerakote some, if not most, of them. I'll need a estimate on what all of that would cost on the firearms to turn into insurance company.

Any ideas?
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 05:14 AM

Ouch! Good luck with it all. That sucks
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 05:40 AM

Holy schnykies. That's not a good time.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 07:44 AM

I think you may be better off looking at replacement prices.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 10:28 AM

You better check, most guns are only covered to a limit. If that’s not the case, I would say they’re shot.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 02:09 PM

West Texas Ordnance in Ackerly is where I'd start.

https://westtexordnance.com/
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 02:40 PM

I’d start over
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 05:09 PM

I'd be considering replacement, not repair. Rust in the bore and on any tolerance-critical surfaces could quickly become a problem for performance, and rust on any stress-critical parts could be a safety concern.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 05:23 PM

I am far from expert on the subject, but I would think that recovery from short term shallow surface rust is possible. Pitting is whole different thing.....
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I’d start over

Same here. If any have sentimental value you can try to have them restored, or just keep them as heirlooms. The rest I'd just replace with new guns. This is the reason I have a separate policy with full replacement coverage on my firearms and accessories.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 07/31/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I’d start over

Same here. If any have sentimental value you can try to have them restored, or just keep them as heirlooms. The rest I'd just replace with new guns. This is the reason I have a separate policy with full replacement coverage on my firearms and accessories.

Same here.....
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 08/01/18 05:20 PM

What brand of truck ?
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 08/01/18 06:51 PM

Start over
Posted By: MClark

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 08/01/18 11:43 PM

Spray them with a rust preventive oil, like RemOil, so it doesn't get worse. Put any wood that got wet in plastic bags so they will not dry out too fast and crack. Get to a smith who does restoration work ASAP.
Where I work we so quite a few fire and flood guns.
But we are really far from Midland.

M
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 08/02/18 04:19 PM

like said..start over
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 08/02/18 08:14 PM

So, the general consensus seems to be for me to trash them and start over. So, where can I find a 1906 Model 94 marked 30 WCF with the pop-up peep sight like the one my Grandfather passed to me? Also, the first year production Model 700 25-06 that my cousin gave to me?
Some items can be replaced. But until someone invents the 'way-back' machine to bring people back from the grave to go and purchase these items items in the year of production, put the use and stories behind them, I will attempt to salvage what I can.

MClark, Quit Shooting & Doc Horton, thank you for answering the question as best you can.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 08/02/18 10:44 PM

Salvage what you can-- I'd get them sprayed down immediately, get the stocks off if you can. Not sure where to start with a gunsmith for heavy duty restoration work like that.

I would also find out immediately what your policy will cover for firearms. Many policies set a limit that is actually pretty low for the value of guns today-- my normal homeowners covers only $4k for firearms and accessories-- everything else has to be covered by a specialty policy.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 08/02/18 11:01 PM

First thing I would have done is take all out of the stocks and coat all metal with Corosion-X and at least stop the oxidation there.

Hope you find someone to get this done
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 08/02/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: duckhunter175
Salvage what you can-- I'd get them sprayed down immediately, get the stocks off if you can. Not sure where to start with a gunsmith for heavy duty restoration work like that.

I would also find out immediately what your policy will cover for firearms. Many policies set a limit that is actually pretty low for the value of guns today-- my normal homeowners covers only $4k for firearms and accessories-- everything else has to be covered by a specialty policy.

Yep, I checked mine a few years ago and they (state farm) only covered 5k on home owners policy. When I switched to farmers on new house I got 20k in coverage for firearms. I should probably bump it again.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 08/03/18 01:48 AM

Of course if you have sentimental value behind them, you'll have to do the best you can. Your original post said nothing about that, unless I missed it.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Adjusters have come and gone. Now it's time to get my guns fixed - 08/03/18 03:18 AM

Bbear
PM sent.

M
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum