Texas Hunting Forum

Suppressor Test

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Suppressor Test - 07/30/18 03:54 PM

Saw this and thought I would post.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/07...ing-event-ever/
Posted By: TLew

Re: Suppressor Test - 07/30/18 05:56 PM

Was hoping my Omega would have a better showing. Oh well, works for me.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Suppressor Test - 07/30/18 06:04 PM

Sorry, I discredited the video the moment I saw them shooting with the barrel resting directly on the shooting sticks.

Like stated, there's WAY too many variables to compare each can. And they didn't mention if they are using the same ammo for all the testing. The ammo used is a huge factor in db reading.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Suppressor Test - 07/30/18 06:15 PM

Not to be a cynic, but most full-sized cans reduce noise by about 30 db, give or take a couple. There's far more variation in accuracy, consistency, durability, weight and mounting systems than in noise reduction. To my mind, the noise reduction tests are the very least interesting and useful tests.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Suppressor Test - 07/30/18 07:38 PM

To some point, the db reduction is important. Some cans do suppress better than others. The simple answer (in general), is the larger the can, the more it will suppress. If you put a large 338 can on a 223 or 308 rifle, it will be much quieter than a normal 223 or 308 can will be on the same rifle. It's simple physics. I run an old Shark Tiger Shark 300 Win Mag suppressor. It is a HUGE can, and has a large internal volume. It is quieter than other smaller cans I have shot side by side. But I expected that. And the smaller cans shot on a 308 will naturally be louder. The baffle design inside also has a large roll. But the main thing would be comparing the size of each can to the next, not just the db reading. A 7"-9" can will be quieter than a 6" can will be. It's simple physics. So, without the sizes of each suppressor they used, it's not a helpful or apples to apples test, as they say.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Suppressor Test - 07/30/18 07:57 PM

The author addressed the ammo selection in the comments:

"AGU 1E308110 AGU 308WIN 150GR FMJ BT 20/25 for .308 ammo and FED AE223BL FED AMERICAN EAGLE LOOSE 223REM 55GR FMJ BT 100 for .223 ammo."
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum