Texas Hunting Forum

What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle

Posted By: Goodo Texas Boy

What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 02:31 AM

Hello,

Just purchase the 11 Savage Trophy Hunter XP 308 Rifle and Scope and some ammo (Federal .308 Win 150 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip 20 Round Box) I plan to hunt with.

Today I use sandbags to remove my human error, but results not as good trying to zero at 100 yards. Maybe because of first time rifle shooting mistakes. I need more practice. I made sure to let the rifle cool down after shooting groups of 4.

What equipment do you use to zero the rifle to remove human error? Do I need Bipod?
Thank you

?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 02:36 AM

Bipod on front, bag on back - start with 10 dry fires and don't count it if you didn't hold the reticle centered through the trigger pull.

Then start shooting. I take the cold bore shot on a separate dot and then start my first group on another dot. I'll usually shoot 3 before adjusting the scope unless I know the ammo/rifle is good and my shot was good, then I'll adjust after 1 shot or 2. But if you don't know for sure about all of that, shoot a group and then adjust. Chasing zero after each shot with a questionable rifle, ammo, or shooter is a colossal waste of time.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 02:36 AM

First, congrats on the rifle purchase.

Second, might try another ammo, just to see. But I’m going to defer to the ammo gods on here as I have been drinking tonight.

Your groups don’t look terrible for a new shooter and new rifle.
Posted By: 7six2

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 02:43 AM

One quick thing I noticed from the pic is that the bag under the front half of your rifle stock has more material bunched up on the left side. Try shifting the sand around so that your rifle sits in a little valley with equal pressure (or lack therof) on both sides. Also, Pay attention from shot to shot to how hard your shoulder is pushing into the butt of the rifle. You want to be consistent.

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Chasing zero after each shot with a questionable rifle, ammo, or shooter is a colossal waste of time.

Thank you patriot07,

Bipod on front, bag on back - start with 10 dry fires and don't count it if you didn't hold the reticle centered through the trigger pull.

I will look for Bipod to buy tomorrow.

Chasing zero after each shot with a questionable rifle, ammo, or shooter is a colossal waste of time.

Yes, I certainly do not want this. I probably just pay some expert shooter at the range to zero at 100 yards for me the ammo I want. Atleast I know for sure I am not the problem. Once this is done, I can continue to practice. I will proceed this direction for now.

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: 7six2
One quick thing I noticed from the pic is that the bag under the front half of your rifle stock has more material bunched up on the left side. Try shifting the sand around so that your rifle sits in a little valley with equal pressure (or lack therof) on both sides. Also, Pay attention from shot to shot to how hard your shoulder is pushing into the butt of the rifle. You want to be consistent.

Thank you 7six2,

I never paid attention to the front bag positioning. Thanks.

I always get confused on firm the butt of the rifle should be on my shoulder.
Posted By: rugger

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 04:22 AM

One thing I was told that seems to work well is apply a lot of pressure through your thumb at the top of of the stock before and during the trigger pull. Helps keep from jerking and gives a consistent trigger pull.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 05:05 AM

Do not slap that trigger. Squeeze it
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 10:36 AM

Next time you're at the range, try some dry fire practice. Keep your eyes open while squeezing the trigger and watch the reticle against your target. When you squeeze properly and the firing pin falls, the reticle should not move. Practice that and you will improve.

Also, do not fight that rear rest. Position it so that you can easily get and stay on target. If you have to apply lateral pressure with your body, you will get lateral stringing.

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: rugger
One thing I was told that seems to work well is apply a lot of pressure through your thumb at the top of of the stock before and during the trigger pull. Helps keep from jerking and gives a consistent trigger pull.

Thank you rugger,
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 11:44 AM

.mmSome good advice above. Not bad really for a new shooter with new rifle.

Practice those dry fire drill above. When the sear breaks the crosshair should remain on the target, if it doesn't you will not hit where you want. With bags from a bench I have shot my best groups but find a sight in there might be a little different on field positions so pnce you are sighted in and comfortable with your rifle start practice from other positions.

If right handed move the sand bags and rifle to the right so you can get more of the body stable with the bench, always helps my shooting.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 12:03 PM

Don't pay an "expert" because there's a good chance you're not getting one.

Their are plenty of reasons why you may not instantly be achieving the best results. I have the exact same setup on 243 and it does noticeably better, the only difference is that I bought one piece Talley rings. Not saying it's necessarily your setup, but I'm also saying it may not necessarily be shooter error.

I live near american shooting center. If you need some help, let me know. I'm by far not a "great" shooter but I do have a torque wrench and a decent trigger finger.

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Next time you're at the range, try some dry fire practice. Keep your eyes open while squeezing the trigger and watch the reticle against your target. When you squeeze properly and the firing pin falls, the reticle should not move. Practice that and you will improve.

Also, do not fight that rear rest. Position it so that you can easily get and stay on target. If you have to apply lateral pressure with your body, you will get lateral stringing.

Thank you RiverRider,

Few questions

1. When I squeeze the trigger, I should be seeing full clear reticle, no darkness around edges of the reticle, right?

2. What is a good rear rest you recommend? The sand bag are a bit stiff and hard to adjust at times.

3. What do you mean by lateral pressure ? And lateral stringing?. I only apply butt stock against my shoulder when pulling the trigger.

Thanks
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 12:55 PM

You're looking good for a first time rifle shooter. I like the Harris bipod. A little more coin but worth the extra. Get the swivel model. That bipod with a couple sand bags you are good to go. I recommend sighting in at 50 yards. You will be a couple inches high at 100 which is fine. After getting centered on target start working on tight 3 shot groups.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 02:00 PM

I don't think you need bipod. It may even hurt if the stock isn't stiff enough and flexes.

I would stick to sandbags and practice. Below is a video to check out.

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 02:48 PM

Front sand bags or solid bull bag up front is best to start with. I would not recommend a bipod yet, as it can easily cause point of impact shifts on an un-bedded rifle. The idea is to minimize outside influences when testing. A rear sand bag, or whatever type bag you want, is what I use for testing.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Front sand bags or solid bull bag up front is best to start with. I would not recommend a bipod yet, as it can easily cause point of impact shifts on an un-bedded rifle. The idea is to minimize outside influences when testing. A rear sand bag, or whatever type bag you want, is what I use for testing.

+1.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 03:31 PM

This set is $26.99 at Academy, not a bad starting point.

Posted By: jeffbird

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 07:19 PM

The Caldwell Tack Driver front bag works well. It is similar to the one above, but more of a cradle to hold more of the rifle.

Put the front bag close to the receiver, not near the tip of the stock, so the downward force of recoil is better supported.

Then also use a rear bag near the toe of the stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Tack-Driver-Shooting-Rest/dp/B000BY9G5K

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 07:45 PM

May not be effecting you but I noticed you have a drink at bench. Coffee, Caffeine, High energy drink really pump up you heart beat and cause minute shifts during firing.

Another thing that helped me is to sit back and really relax you body and mind during shooting. Get comfortable. Give your self plenty of time for range work and don't hurry. To get it sighted in I use a sand bag as a cushion between my shoulder and butt plate. Like suggested try different ammo. What your trigger pull and is their any slack or creep?
GL cheers
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag
May not be effecting you but I noticed you have a drink at bench. Coffee, Caffeine, High energy drink really pump up you heart beat and cause minute shifts during firing.

That's why I like some "Liquid Group Tightener". A few beers, and I'll calm down and shoot some tiny groups!

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
I don't think you need bipod. It may even hurt if the stock isn't stiff enough and flexes.

I would stick to sandbags and practice. Below is a video to check out.

Thank you very much and good video.

I will stick to sand bags for the front of stock, but I need to find that rear leather bag he was squeezing. The sand bags in the back are not that good.

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

Thank you Chad

I will stick to sand bags and a small bug bag on top of sand bags for now
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 08:48 PM

http://protektormodel.com/

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 08:55 PM

What your trigger pull and is their any slack or creep?
GL cheers

Thand jeh7mmagg,

What does trigger pull, slack and creep mean? I am not sure how to measure this. I have accuatrigger.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 09:16 PM

Pull is the amount of effort required to release the firing pin.
Creep is the movement you would feel before shear.
Slack is slop or play in trigger before you feel tension.
Some triggers can be adjusted for pull, slack and creep.

I did not notice you had the accutrigger till after my post. Accutrigger is 2 step trigger that has a very light pull on final stage.

Let one of the guys whom is familiar with accutrigger advise you on what to look for.

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Goodo Texas Boy

Thank you RiverRider,

Few questions

1. When I squeeze the trigger, I should be seeing full clear reticle, no darkness around edges of the reticle, right?

Yes. If you see darkness around the image, then you are usually a little too far from the scope or you might not be squarely behind it.

2. What is a good rear rest you recommend? The sand bag are a bit stiff and hard to adjust at times.

Some of the ones already mentioned are fine. I'd suggest going on midwayusa.com to see what's available (you may want to buy elsewhere, but you can always do much worse than Midway!).

3. What do you mean by lateral pressure ? And lateral stringing?. I only apply butt stock against my shoulder when pulling the trigger.

I mean using your body to force the reticle either left or right to get on target. I have found myself doing this unconsciously in the past. It can cause your shots to go left or right. Lateral stringing is when your shots are dispersed in a line, side by side.

Someone else mentioned this, but it's pretty important. To shoot your very best off a rest or sandbags, you need to hold the rifle exactly the same each time you fire it. What I try to do is get the rifle on target without me touching it, then placing my body behind the rifle so as to not disturb it, then pull myself into the rifle rather than pulling the rifle into my body. Find that one special place on your shoulder where it feels the best and it feels like the butt is touching you evenly on each side. And when you squeeze that trigger, pull the trigger right straight back toward your aiming eye...you don't want to be putting any lateral (side-to-side) pressure on the trigger.

Thanks

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/16/18 11:37 PM

Another thing that helped me is to sit back and really relax you body and mind during shooting. Get comfortable. Give your self plenty of time for range work and don't hurry. To get it sighted in I use a sand bag as a cushion between my shoulder and butt plate. Like suggested try different ammo. What your trigger pull and is their any slack or creep?
GL cheers

I do Yoga at the bench in between shots while the barrel cools. laugh

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/17/18 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas

GL cheers

I hear yoga works best if you wear the proper attire. Any truth to that?
cowboy
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/17/18 01:48 AM

GL cheers

cowboy

You should buy some yoga pants, wear it to the range and test it out. And obviously for purely scientific purposes you should document the results, including attire. Pics are great but video is better. I await your finds and evidence. Please post asap. L

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/17/18 02:18 AM

Sometimes smartass comments backfire. Oh well.
rock_on

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/17/18 02:20 AM

I DID open that door just to see what you'd do with it though. Gotta give you a "well done!"

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/17/18 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

Thank you very much. The rear bags looks good and I can continue to use the sand bags for now.

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/17/18 04:17 AM

[quote=Goodo Texas Boy]

Someone else mentioned this, but it's pretty important. To shoot your very best off a rest or sandbags, you need to hold the rifle exactly the same each time you fire it.

Thanks

Thank you RiverRider, this is a very good point

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/17/18 04:19 AM

GL cheers

lol hahahahahahahahahahaha

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/17/18 04:19 AM

Can anyone recommend some good targets to practice with?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/17/18 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Goodo Texas Boy
Can anyone recommend some good targets to practice with?
I find the 1" black shoot-n-see dots to be the best targets for small groups for me. I got a pack of a like a billion on amazon for $5 or something like that. Not shoot-n-see brand, but they're dirt cheap and work just as well.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/17/18 06:51 PM

Congrats on your new rifle. From your previous posts I know you have been looking forward to it. Sand bags front and back are excellent when shooting for accuracy. It would most likely benefit you to experiment with different brands of ammo and bullet types if you are looking to shoot factory ammo. All rifles have preferences they get along with better. The best tip I can recommend to shrink your groups is practice frequently and don't over complicate things. There is absolutely no substitute for getting familiar enough with a rifle to break the trigger at the exact moment you want, then being able to see that the reticle is still there, as you feel the recoil hit your shoulder.
Half the fun with a new rifle is the trial and error of working out the details to roll with.

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/18/18 01:13 AM

GL cheers

cowboy

Of course it matters, I wear camo leggings. What do you wear when you yoga? Although with the weather, it's been HOT yoga. It's sad that I know what that is but I worked with 4 women for the last 2 years.

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/18/18 02:10 AM

I'm not really sure what yoga is to be honest, so I'm not sure why pants would be necessary at all.
sleep2

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/18/18 02:21 AM

I was kidding about doing Yoga but I am a fan of hot women in leggings.

Re: What Equipment To Use To Zero Rifle - 07/18/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Congrats on your new rifle. From your previous posts I know you have been looking forward to it. Sand bags front and back are excellent when shooting for accuracy. It would most likely benefit you to experiment with different brands of ammo and bullet types if you are looking to shoot factory ammo. All rifles have preferences they get along with better. The best tip I can recommend to shrink your groups is practice frequently and don't over complicate things. There is absolutely no substitute for getting familiar enough with a rifle to break the trigger at the exact moment you want, then being able to see that the reticle is still there, as you feel the recoil hit your shoulder.
Half the fun with a new rifle is the trial and error of working out the details to roll with.

Thank you Smokey Bear,

Everyone here has really helped me out. Thank you. Yes yes yes yes yes, I will be practicing every weekend. And dry firing as well. I have good fun way to go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum