Texas Hunting Forum

Rifle Basix rocks!

Posted By: RiverRider

Rifle Basix rocks! - 06/19/18 02:33 AM

I've never kept my adoration for Model 70s a secret. I think they have the right stuff as a hunting rifle, including the 3-position safety and the triggers. The original trigger can be adjusted very nicely, and I've found the MOA to be a great trigger too----especially if you treat em with an Ernie the Gunsmith spring. I've never seen one of either type that wouldn't serve very well on a big game rig.

But then there's my Model 70 HV in .223 Rem. The rifle has the old style trigger and while it would be just fine on a .270 or what have you, it just doesn't cut it when you're trying to shoot quarter-inch groups. I think the rifle can do it, but I can't do it---not with that trigger. So I ordered a Rifle Basix trigger for it last week and received it today.

Installation was easy and the instructions that come with the trigger are clear enough. I had the trigger installed in about ten minutes. Adjusting it took a little longer. Adjusting requires the use of a couple of 1/4" open end wrenches and some patience, but was not all that difficult.

I don't have a trigger pull scale...never felt like I needed one. I could always tell whether I liked a trigger or not by checking it with the correct bugger hook. I'll go so far as to say I think I've got about a 1- to 1-1/4 pound trigger pull...just guessin. NO creep, no perceptible overtravel. I have two other triggers in my safe that might compete with the Rifle Basix I just installed---one is a Winchester 52 repro with the lawyer pin removed and the other is a custom Model Seven with a Jewell trigger. I would not say either of them is better than the Rifle Basix. I never had a Timney that was anywhere near as nice as either of them.

I guess you could say I like it.

I highly recommend the Rifle Basix as a replacement for the Model 70 old style trigger if you feel you need something better.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Rifle Basix rocks! - 06/19/18 02:38 AM

Model 70 is great rifle. They don't get discussed much on THF. I have a Featherweight in 7mm-08.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Rifle Basix rocks! - 06/19/18 04:47 PM

I just put a Rifle Basix on my 7 mag build. Interesting that the trigger for the Model 70 uses an open end wrench for adjusting. The one I put on my Savage action had 4 adjustments - trigger pull, sear engagement, over travel and safety engagement - and all four were allen screws. It did take a bit of time to get all 4 exactly where I wanted them, since changing one would sometimes affect the others, but once I got it set it felt great. When I get the rifle back from the machine shop, I'll give a first hand report of how the trigger feels when actually firing. I do have a couple of rigs with Timneys to compare it to.

Re: Rifle Basix rocks! - 06/19/18 05:16 PM

The hex nuts are for locking down the adjustment screws. The RB trigger is very similar to the original M70 trigger which also locks adjustments with hex nuts.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Rifle Basix rocks! - 06/19/18 06:55 PM

Model 70 trigger, for those that haven't seen one.

Re: Rifle Basix rocks! - 06/19/18 11:39 PM

Here is the Rifle Basix replacement for the original design M70. Note the sear engagement adjustment and the overtravel screw which were added to the original design...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum