Texas Hunting Forum

300 magnum recoil with muzzle brake

Posted By: Deerhunter61

300 magnum recoil with muzzle brake - 06/18/18 12:00 PM

Guys,

My wife and I want to plan an African Safari trip and I have started doing my research. One thing I know I need to do is purchase a rifle in a larger caliber that I can take and use on the hunt which is where the 300 magnum comes in. I already own a 7 magnum and a 300 magnum but neither has a break on it and I have no intention of putting a break on either one of these. Before I spend the money I need to know what kind of recoil I can expect from a 300 magnum with a good muzzle brake on it. When we are talking recoil can you please compare a smaller caliber rifle without a brake? For instance my 6.5 CM with the brake feels much like that of a .22 with the brake on it, it does weigh 17lbs which also reduces the recoil. I understand the 300 wouldn't be close to that but I need to know if I can handle the recoil while practicing. I just had my second neck fusion surgery a month ago and I simply can't take the recoil I once could but in order to go on this trip I believe I need to be able to shoulder and shoot at least the 300 magnum. So before I spend the money I want to know if the recoil I would get would be manageable for me. I'm just looking to hunt plains game there so the 300 should be enough gun for the job.

Thanks,

Mel
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 300 magnum recoil with muzzle brake - 06/18/18 12:26 PM

.300 Win Mag?

If so, with a side gill, top port brake (not radial) the .300 Win Mag can feel like a bare muzzle .308 Win. There are brakes out there that reduce recoil by 45%.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: 300 magnum recoil with muzzle brake - 06/18/18 12:28 PM

I have no idea about a 300 with a brake but I think I heard somewhere that many of the guides over there do not want you using a gun with a brake because of their proximity to you when you’re shooting. I could be off base on this but I may be worth looking into.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: 300 magnum recoil with muzzle brake - 06/18/18 12:32 PM

Here’s an article with some nice charts to give you an idea about % reduction on specific brakes.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/02/jeremy-s/308-muzzle-brake-test/amp/
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: 300 magnum recoil with muzzle brake - 06/18/18 12:45 PM

Unless you are hunting dangerous game (most of which would require more than a .300 anyway), I would forget about the .300 and simply take a rifle with more manageable recoil. A .300 is simply not required for plains game. BMD’s daughter Kacee has killed just about every species of plains game available with her 7mm-08 without issue.

I know brakes are all the rage in the shooting world, but most outfitters and guides hate them. I have read that many PHs feel the same way. The best guidance of what will work will usually come from your PH. I would talk to them.
Posted By: GLC

Re: 300 magnum recoil with muzzle brake - 06/18/18 01:58 PM

I run a "Little Bastard" brake on my 300 win mag. Works very well. I can easily shoot 50 rounds and have no ill effects at all.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: 300 magnum recoil with muzzle brake - 06/18/18 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Unless you are hunting dangerous game (most of which would require more than a .300 anyway), I would forget about the .300 and simply take a rifle with more manageable recoil. A .300 is simply not required for plains game. BMD’s daughter Kacee has killed just about every species of plains game available with her 7mm-08 without issue.

I know brakes are all the rage in the shooting world, but most outfitters and guides hate them. I have read that many PHs feel the same way. The best guidance of what will work will usually come from your PH. I would talk to them.

That included eland and sable and both can be hard to put down. I'm with NP, go with less gun. A .308 with 165s would kill just about anything on your list about as far as you're willing to shoot.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: 300 magnum recoil with muzzle brake - 06/18/18 03:19 PM

The wife and I went to Namibia in 2011 for a plains game hunt. I used a 300WM totally stock rifle and the wife used an old standby the 30-06, here again a factory stock gun. She & I killed Kudo, Gemsbok, red hartebeest, and blue wildebeest. No problems what so ever. I was shooting factory Rem 180 corelok, and am not positive but think the wife was shooting 165 Rem corelok in the 06.
Posted By: Texasteach

Re: 300 magnum recoil with muzzle brake - 06/18/18 03:24 PM

If a gun recoils too much for you, you don't need a muzzle brake. You need to drop down in powder capacity. I would load the 7 mag you have and go hunting if you can handle it. If not, there is nothing in Africa that you can hunt with a .300 Win that you couldn't take with a plain vanilla .308 Winchester. My kids have killed 5 gemsbok and an elk with a 7mm-08.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum