Texas Hunting Forum

Right or left

Posted By: wp75169

Right or left - 06/11/18 12:59 PM

It seems we have an out of proportion group of left handed shooter here. I’m right handed but left eye dominant so i shoot a rifle left handed.

In the words of Oxner “I’ll go first”

Left

You?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 01:20 PM

Right handed but up until a few weeks ago when I had an internal defibrillator put in on the left side it really did not matter which shoulder I shot from. As a kid I had learned to shoot right handed and finally trained myself to shoot right handed then later left handed even though I am left eye dominate.

Kept up with it a few years dove hunting and shells per limit were within 3 from either shoulder. I do shoot mostly right handed as it is more natural shouldering a gun on the right side
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 01:31 PM

Right for me.

My wife is an odd ball. She is left eye dominant. Writes left handed but does every thing else like throwing a ball etc. like a right handed person. She refuses to try shooting left handed and it pisses me off.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Right for me.

My wife is an odd ball. She is left eye dominant. Writes left handed but does every thing else like throwing a ball etc. like a right handed person. She refuses to try shooting left handed and it pisses me off.

For me I never understood how significant it was until I shouldered a rifle left handed. Yes it was awkward but my brain immediately settled into the scenario like it never had before. Within a few minutes I was shooting better than I ever had in my life. That was at least 15 years after I found out I was left eye dominant playing little league. Coach switched me to batting left handed. I was near 100% that way but refused to embrace it and may have even been ashamed as a child.
Posted By: tailchaser93

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 01:40 PM

I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed but I play sports right handed.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 01:52 PM

Left eye dominant, but right handed. Can shoot right handed pistol and rifle, but have to close my left eye. To make things worse I have an astigmatism in my right eye. Red dot sights have helped.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 01:54 PM

Left handed here.

You wanna see something odd most actors are left handed.

Check it out next time you watch a action movie
Posted By: ckat

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 01:59 PM

I am very right handed ( and right eye dominant,) but can shoot left handed. My wife shoots right handed, but is left eye dominant.

Our girls are both right handed, but left eye dominant. We are teaching them to shoot left handed. Since they switched from shooting right handed ( once we figured out their eye dominance,) their hit percentage went WAY up.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 02:13 PM

Easy test for eye dominance without the person being tested having to think much to effect the outcome. Stand a little ways from them adn have them point their finger at your nose, you will be looking down their finger at the dominate eye. There are some that do not necessarly have a strong dominate eye while others the dominate eye is so much so they cannot close their dominate eye without closing both eyes.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 02:17 PM

I'm right handed, but shoot lefty. Actually, I do most things that involve aiming, with my left hand. I draw a bow, cast a fishing rod, and throw a castnet with my left hand.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 02:21 PM

Left eye dominant but right handed.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC

Well that's wht thar 7mm-08 won't behave itself!

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Looks like I’m not the only one that got off this morning.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:07 PM

Right.......
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:15 PM

Guns-left. Bow-right. golf-right. Tennis-left. Baseball-right. keyboard mouse-left. Write-left. Basically I'm Abbott and Costello...
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:16 PM

Southpaw all the way.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: wp75169

Looks like I’m not the only one that got off this morning.

That spelling is horrible! Everyone please forgive me.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:28 PM

You need to get a life.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:30 PM

You need to get a life.

RUDE!

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:42 PM

You need to get a life.

RUDE!

But honest confused2

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:47 PM

Ok, you don't want me poking you in the ribs today. I'll stop.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:54 PM

Oh and just FYI, I finally went out past 300 yards Friday. I found out that wind is not your friend! Went to a friends place where I could go to 700 yards(never stretched it past 300 before) top to btm 1 to 3 inches but left to right up to 15 inches spread. 140 grain Noslers. I have a new found respect for yall that practice and shoot past 300. flehan
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 03:56 PM

Left eye dominate, shoot Southpaw.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 04:36 PM

Oh and just FYI, I finally went out past 300 yards Friday. I found out that wind is not your friend! Went to a friends place where I could go to 700 yards(never stretched it past 300 before) top to btm 1 to 3 inches but left to right up to 15 inches spread. 140 grain Noslers. I have a new found respect for yall that practice and shoot past 300. flehan

Why so many of us want heavy, and high BC. They cut through the wind better.

"Distance is science, wind is art".

I'm only an artist sometimes.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 04:43 PM

Why so many of us want heavy, and high BC. They cut through the wind better.

"Distance is science, wind is art

I'm only an artist sometimes.

That was what my 300 win mag was for.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 04:46 PM

It certainly can be loaded to cut through the wind, and maintain supersonic flight into ELR "extreme long range".
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 05:30 PM

I throw left handed but everything else, included shooting, is done right handed.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 05:56 PM

Right handed
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 10:10 PM

I’m right and SpitFire is wrong (left handed)
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 10:14 PM

shoot left, write left, golf right, throw both, hockey stick right

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: sdunshee

hey me too
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

#metoo

Oh, that doesn't even have a modicum of humor in it.

I'm same as OP. Left-eye dominant. 'Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, from inside, when I was a kid. Thank goodness Dad figured it out.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

#metoo

I'm same as OP. Left-eye dominant. 'Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, from inside, when I was a kid. Thank goodness Dad figured it out.

that's what you get when you type from an iPhone....hey me too becomes #metoo

they are doing more studies and finding out that people are more ambidextrous than originally thought. apparently being lefthanded was considered a mortal sin in prior decades and they did everything they could to correct it.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 11:37 PM

Right eye dominant, shoot right handed, write right handed but left handed for all sports related stuff.

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

#metoo

that's what you get when you type from an iPhone....hey me too becomes #metoo

they are doing more studies and finding out that people are more ambidextrous than originally thought. apparently being lefthanded was considered a mortal sin in prior decades and they did everything they could to correct it.

The hands can be made to be ambidextrous. Break your dominant hand or wrist, end up in a cast, and your other hand will become more useful. I have forced myself to do lots of things with both hands. Initially it was running a welding arc, some places are right hand welds, and vice versa. The same holds true for rifle shooting. I have forced myself to be able to shoot from both sides of the rifle. It has served me well hunting as well as competing.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 11:48 PM

Another one here in the "right handed, left eye dominant, left side shooter" category.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Right or left - 06/11/18 11:50 PM

Re: Right or left - 06/12/18 12:58 AM

its amazing how the body can adapt. I threw a baseball right handed and batted right. Basketball I shot with my right hand but assumed I would have a higher % of shots if I shot left due to being left I dominate. I forced myself to shoot with my left hand and after awhile it became perfectly normal while now shooting with my right hand (which was naturally what my body wanted to do) feels totally foreign
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Right or left - 06/12/18 01:02 AM

I am very slightly left eye dominant. Do everything right-handed, including shooting. Tried shooting left-handed and it was a complete no-go. Physically, I'm very right side dominant.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Right or left - 06/12/18 02:25 AM

I shoot rifles left handed and pistol right handed.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Right or left - 06/12/18 03:03 AM

I'm both eye dominant or neither eye dominant. If I had to pick one I'd say right, that's how I naturally shoot but have no problem going lefty.

Grew up as a baseball player and switch hit starting in little league. In college I threw batting practice as a lefty once even though I'm a natural righty. I've been ambidextrous as long as I can remember.
Posted By: Dan S.

Re: Right or left - 06/15/18 11:49 PM

I was right eye dominant until I lost vision in it. Now shoot left handed rifles but it took a little time to get use to it. Deer jump up and tried to mount it to my right until I really got use to it.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Right or left - 06/16/18 03:14 PM

Right hand/Right eye dominant. Right-handed rifle and shotgun shooter.

Handguns - either hand/eye combination.
Posted By: splash556

Re: Right or left - 06/26/18 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo1
Another one here in the "right handed, left eye dominant, left side shooter" category.

+1. But couldn't get myself to like left-handed bolt guns. So shoot left handed using right handed guns. Works for me but had an incident whereby a .308 case blew out while shooting and the gas and powder was expelled into my face through the right handed vent. I was zeroing a new scope at my range so safety glasses kept my eyes from getting possibly injured. After that, always feel I'm taking a chance when not using glasses.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Right or left - 06/26/18 01:01 PM

Long guns left, hand guns either.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Right or left - 06/26/18 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott W
I've been ambidextrous as long as I can remember.

I am left eye dominant and was left handed as a little kid. I have my polio vaccination scar on my right shoulder, only you other old guys know what I am talking about. I started school in 1959 and the teacher made me switch to right hand for writing because being the only lefty I was apparently messing up her teaching method. I have been ambidextrous since. I can shoot left or right and am comfortable either way. Most things I do today, I do left handed. I still write right handed but can also write left handed.

Re: Right or left - 06/26/18 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Bar-D
Originally Posted By: Scott W
I've been ambidextrous as long as I can remember.

I am left eye dominant and was left handed as a little kid. I have my polio vaccination scar on my right shoulder, only you other old guys know what I am talking about. I started school in 1959 and the teacher made me switch to right hand for writing because being the only lefty I was apparently messing up her teaching method. I have been ambidextrous since. I can shoot left or right and am comfortable either way. Most things I do today, I do left handed. I still write right handed but can also write left handed.

You have a rare set of skills sir.

I've been a welder/ fabricator since 1996. There were times I just could not make certain welds, in odd positions left handed. So, I forced myself to weld right handed when needed. Years later, I did the same thing with rifles and pistols, and it has been very helpful.

Guys I welded with would sometimes come get me to make a "left hand weld". I would do it, and tell them, it is all in their head as to why they aren't welding left handed when needed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum