Texas Hunting Forum

Would you buy a new Remington 700?

Posted By: syncerus

Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 03:26 PM

I mean this question sincerely. I've owned a number of M700s over the years, and they've been, as a group, pretty good rifles. There's a new 700 model, the AWR, that looks like a good fit for my needs, but the relentlessly negative things that I've read about Remington quality control have me very leery of playing the lottery game. One review in particular was very troubling as it indicated fundamental problems with barrel fit, an inexcusable lapse, and a very expensive fix. Is a new Remington worth buying these days?
Posted By: ckat

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 04:05 PM

I have/have had several Remington rifles through the years. The last rifle that I would ever get rid of is an older 700 ADL.

With that said, I wouldn't buy a new one. There are too many non-lottery rifles produced today for me to play that game. If you want one, go fondle it and see what your gut tells you. You may fall in love with a great rifle, or might decide that the AWR isn't what you thought it would be.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 04:16 PM

I agree with Ckat. I have had some really nice 700s but they were older rifles. There are just too many good brands on the market for me to take a chance on a current production Remington.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 04:22 PM

I grew up on Remington, 1100/788/700 are still in the family. Always loved the brand and typically ran Remington ammo. What they have done to the company is disturbingly sad. I would not suggest anybody buy one. There are several brands on the market that are far superior for not much more $.

However, there's a used AWR in 300WM on Gunbroker currently at $695. 5R barrel, Grayboe stock-lot of value. For that I might take a flier on one. Before I did I would want to see one in person first and check it out. I would also plan on an additional $100-125 for a new Timney for it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 04:53 PM

Not sure.

My brother recently bought one and it appears to be a nice gun. I have many of them that are older and love them. They may have had their trouble and they may still have their trouble but I think you hear more from people on the internet that love to hate something than anything else.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 06:06 PM

I'll only buy a new Remington to pull the factory barrel off and install a new custom barrel. Or, if I just want a basic rifle that will hold moa, I'll buy it. The last factory rifle I bought and kept it factory, was a Tikka T3 compact 308 for my son. It's a good rifle and does shoot sub moa.

But, I have had some new Rem rifles that shot well, mainly the high-end bull barrel rifles (Sendero, Varmint, 5R models). What does "well" mean? I guess that depends on what you are kind of "well" you are wanting. Most good factory rifles will shoot under moa with good match grade ammo (like most of my custom ammo). But, with my load work up service, I do see some "problem" rifles. The one's that are a problem rifle, you can not make a bad rifle shoot good, even with good ammo. You'll be chasing your tail to dial it in. And, honestly, most of the time it is a Remington in some kind of crazy caliber, like a RUM or something. So, if you want a rifle that will shoot about moa, maybe 3/4 moa, the factory rifles will do it. (and I'm not talking about a once in a lifetime tight 3 shot group and call it a 1/4 moa rifle).
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 06:31 PM

I've been leary of Remingtons since the ADL safety issue a few years back. That being said, I have a Model 7, in .223/556, that I've had for over 20 years and won't part with. The only other rifle I have that has killed more critters is a Rossi lever action in .357 mag.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 06:57 PM

I buy Reminton 700s, but just to build on. They're the only action that is plentiful in lefty. I'm having one built now, but the action was manufactured in 1982 and it's alot nicer than the new actions I've bought.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 10:04 PM

I have several Remington rifles that are nice rifles but have bought enough lemons dating back into the 90s that I will not buy another unless it is an old 788 in good shape.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 10:07 PM

no
Posted By: 280AI

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 10:19 PM

Yes
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 10:25 PM

Yes I’d buy another. Only ever owned one that wouldn’t shoot. Triggers are crap for sure.
If you like it buy it.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 11:09 PM

My brother in law picked up a new R700 .270 SPS, added a Sig Whiskey 3 and it shot sub-moa at 300m with factory ammo from prone supported. Haven't seen the issues with R700s that I have seen with the 870s.

I will also say that I've shot 4 different Rem 783s and all shot great groups at 100m with factory ammo (.308 and .270 cal)--- in terms of bang for the buck I would say they are hard to beat for a sub $300 rifle.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 11:15 PM

Yes BUT, I would go into it planning to bed it and replace the trigger and possibly lap the locking lugs. In my experience the trigger and bedding will get them going if both lugs are making good solid contact when the bolt is closed. The higher end models like a sendero or 5R I would not hesitate. As bad as I hate to say it though, if shear out of the box accuracy is what I was looking for, there are surer bets available for similar money.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 11:25 PM

Absolutely not! Too many better alternatives out there that will shoot just fine right out of the box. Dealing with Remington's bad and getting worse "customer service" is not how I wish to spend my time.
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/05/18 11:32 PM

Not for me, nope, won’t buy anything Remington-made. Too many other companies that produce products deserving of my money for me to give it to Remington.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 12:40 AM

yup, the new 5R rifles are 4 real

like all factory rifles it just needs an aftermarket trigger

Remington is coming back
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 12:48 AM

I've got 721's, 722's, 700's and had several 788's, never had a problem with any of them.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 12:54 AM

Tikka bolt
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 01:24 AM

NO.

Too many other options that are NOT a roll of the dice if it is going to be a good rifle or not. And every Rem 700 alive, wearing a factory Remington trigger, needs the trigger replaced, add $120 to $180 to the price of the rifle.

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
yup, the new 5R rifles are 4 real

like all factory rifles it just needs an aftermarket trigger

Remington is coming back

This is fake news. All of it. spam
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 01:25 AM

No, but I really like the two I own. I’d buy a Tikka or maybe Begara in the future.
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 01:45 AM

I like mine. If I had to do it all again would I buy something else? Meh maybe but that's just cause I like new things. As it is I don't see myself parting with it any time soon.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 02:42 AM

I would buy another Remmy in A heart beat.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 11:29 AM

No, I have a mod 70 222 that fired, several times, when no finger was on the trigger. I sent it to Remington to have the trigger replaced, at my expense. They told ne that it was my fault due to improper cleaning. I like the rifle but not the company. They knew there was a dangerous problem for years.

I'm kinda like Josey Wales and live by the feud.
Posted By: dee

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 11:48 AM

For a cheap beater hunting gun sure. All I've messed with have shot great with handloads. The trigger argument is null for me as I hate 99.9% of all factory triggers and a lot of failures were\are caused by self proclaimed gunsmiths or people that think triggers and firingpin springs need oil.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 12:11 PM

No just get a Tikka.......
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 01:04 PM

Yes if the price is a good buy.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 02:11 PM

I wouldn't buy a new gun of any make. Anybody buying a gun now is going into the Fed database and is never getting out of it. All of mine were either bought decades ago, were gifts or inherited and I'm pretty sure none of them exist in the data base any longer. The things don't wear out very often and I have enough in enough calibers for any shooting I will do from here on.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: QMC(SW/EXW)
I wouldn't buy a new gun of any make. Anybody buying a gun now is going into the Fed database and is never getting out of it. All of mine were either bought decades ago, were gifts or inherited and I'm pretty sure none of them exist in the data base any longer. The things don't wear out very often and I have enough in enough calibers for any shooting I will do from here on.

Huh?
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

Huh?

Paranoia. He hears the black choppers overhead just thinking of his name on paper in a government building. They are coming to get him. I have a drivers license so of course, they are coming for me too, in fact they are here, gotta run now.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

Huh?

Paranoia. He hears the black choppers overhead just thinking of his name on paper in a government building. They are coming to get him. I have a drivers license so of course, they are coming for me too, in fact they are here, gotta run now.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 03:20 PM

lol this got good.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 05:03 PM

Wow! It would be easy to run with that.....
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 05:36 PM

Between military service, passports, drivers licenses, sales licenses, gaming licenses (in Nevada), my CHL, and my Class III registration, it's pretty safe to say that all of Federal officialdom and most state agencies have a pretty good idea of who I am and where to find me. Add the fact that 98% of my financials are electronic (CC, etc.), and I'd say that I live in a goldfish bowl. I'm not worried about one more rifle being processed by the ATF.
Posted By: supersixfour

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/06/18 05:44 PM

Bought my last 700 3 years ago. It was an SPS in 7mm rem mag. Only one of the two locking lugs was making contact with the receiver.
Instead of going back and forth with Remington customer service I had a gunsmith blueprint the entire action.
That gun should've never made it out the door to the customer.
Good news is after blue printing and load development it's shooting .7s and .8s with a factory barrel.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/07/18 02:19 PM

Hardly. The fact of the matter is that up until a few years ago the Feds were not allowed to keep firearm purchase data but they do now. Cities in some parts of the nation have gone so far as posting info of people who have purchased firearms in newspapers. Mine were all obtained prior to this and I don't want my firearm purchase in a data base that is going to be kept. If they ever decide to come after the guns this is how it will start. Additionally if papers publish names and addresses, which has happened, then thieves know where to go.

Since I already own rifles, shotguns and pistols for any shooting or hunting I will ever do I won't be buying any new Remingtons. Heck I can reach in my cabinet and grab a rifle for everything up to elephant.

I spent more than 25 years on active duty and am in enough federal data bases. I choose to try and stay out of the firearm database. Why do you think they are clamoring for background checks even from private sellers? Someone is keeping that data now.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/07/18 02:53 PM

I choose to try and stay out of the firearm database. Why do you think they are clamoring for background checks even from private sellers? Someone is keeping that data now.

This is false. In most states, including Texas, when you purchase a new firearm and go through the background check, all "they" know is one of 3 options- Handgun, Long Gun, or Other. I'm sure the NICS system keeps track of who the background check is for, but they don't know what you bought, other than Handgun, Long Gun, or Other. And they don't know how many firearms were purchased. The idea that big brother knows all firearms purchases is false.

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/07/18 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I choose to try and stay out of the firearm database. Why do you think they are clamoring for background checks even from private sellers? Someone is keeping that data now.

This is false. In most states, including Texas, when you purchase a new firearm and go through the background check, all "they" know is one of 3 options- Handgun, Long Gun, or Other. I'm sure the NICS system keeps track of who the background check is for, but they don't know what you bought, other than Handgun, Long Gun, or Other. And they don't know how many firearms were purchased. The idea that big brother knows all firearms purchases is false.

And who cares if they do?

I know lots of local law enforcement, know one FBI agent, and met one Secret Service agent. None of them would follow orders to confiscate firearms from law abiding citizens. So which acronym agency is going to hire what thugs to go do it?

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/07/18 04:26 PM

I most definitely want to preserve my wonderful nation and am not looking for a fight but if some police state thug comes for my right to defend myself and my countrymen from tyranny, Come And Take It.

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/07/18 05:27 PM

I most definitely want to preserve my wonderful nation and am not looking for a fight but if some police state thug comes for my right to defend myself and my countrymen from tyranny, Come And Take It.

And that^^ is why it won't happen.

up
Posted By: DH3

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/09/18 04:25 AM

I would not even buy an OLD 700
Posted By: booradley

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/09/18 12:40 PM

I’ll take a 700 over an Axis, RAR or 783.

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/09/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: DH3

why?
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/10/18 01:32 PM

No. I have had several but not happy with how long it took them to take care of and admit they had a bad trigger issue.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/10/18 03:07 PM

Well I have to admit Remington did make a mistake with their triggers, they gave the owners of these rifle too many options. The adjust ability in the Remington triggers was one of the best to be found but may have been a little too good. Myself and many others manage to shoot these rifles for over 50 years and not have a single trigger problem, but leave it to Billy Bob I'm a gunsmith to screw it up. For more years than I can remember we had too of the best Smiths in the country right here in this county and I knew them well, they built or serviced several of my rifles. Both chose to build off of 788, 700 and 600 Remington actions and built some of the finest, best shooting rifles around. M.L. Knowlton and Harold Broughton. For about 20 years I visited with these men several time a month. Both agreed on one thing when it came to Remington triggers, the failures were caused by human error with owners just plain adjusting the triggers down to far. Of course they'd tighten them back up before bring them to the shop and the claim they don't know what happen. When M.L. built a rifle he would make a fine line scribe from the screw to the housing barely visible. In every case he could determine the screw had been messed with. Of course the owner would deny it. I don't know how many Remington rifles I've owned in the last 45 years, still have 4, but I do know that I've managed to shoot and enjoy all of them without one single trigger failure. Maybe it's because I do know how to properly adjust a Remington trigger and also know when to stop. On my bench rest rifle I ran aftermarket/custom triggers because I knew a Remington trigger could not safely get down to the pull I wanted.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/10/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: DH3

why?

Lousy Trigger, pressed in checkering and accuracy issues. Dumped my one and only at a gun show and feel sorry for the guy who bought it.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/10/18 06:23 PM

I have older 243, 30-06, 22-250 that are all very good and shoot well. Had one trigger reworked by gunsmith and all is well. Have newer 700 243 that I don't like as well but it puts the bullet where it is supposed to be.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/10/18 08:32 PM

I have a 700 BDL in 270 Win. that has discharged twice on me when I am closing the bolt and my finger is no where close to the trigger. I have sent this rifle back to Remington once and they supposedly replaced the trigger. The last time that it discharged on me was this Dec. after the trigger had been replaced. I spoke to a Remington rep. at the NRA convention and he said there was no way to know what is going on with the rifle until they have it so I will send it back to them again so it is documented.

I bought this gun new in 2003 it's a custom with the engraving on it, I have never messed with the trigger, and maybe have put two to three boxes through it. To say the lease I'm not happy and this very well maybe my last Remington!
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/10/18 10:48 PM

No.
Posted By: killen

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/11/18 04:27 PM

yes
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/14/18 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Lakhota
I have a 700 BDL in 270 Win. that has discharged twice on me when I am closing the bolt and my finger is no where close to the trigger. I have sent this rifle back to Remington once and they supposedly replaced the trigger. The last time that it discharged on me was this Dec. after the trigger had been replaced. I spoke to a Remington rep. at the NRA convention and he said there was no way to know what is going on with the rifle until they have it so I will send it back to them again so it is documented.

I bought this gun new in 2003 it's a custom with the engraving on it, I have never messed with the trigger, and maybe have put two to three boxes through it. To say the lease I'm not happy and this very well maybe my last Remington!

Gunsmith fixed one trigger for me. $20. No problem since.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Would you buy a new Remington 700? - 06/15/18 12:41 AM

I was a Remington fan for years. I had a mountain rifle in 270 that was the best rifle I ever owned. It was ruined by a water leak when I lived in an apartment and was working out of town for a month. The only thing salvageable was the action. I don’t own one now. They are not the same.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum