Texas Hunting Forum

AR Guys Help?

Posted By: Slow Drifter

AR Guys Help? - 05/26/18 11:55 PM

Help, please? Since I exited the Marine Corps in '92 I haven't really been into AR rifles, more into bolt action sporters, so I'm pretty AR stupid, not up to speed. My BIL builds AR's as a hobby and gave me one as a random gift. Helluva guy. I'm trying to mount a pic rail to the hand guard. I carried it into a gun shop and the guy said, "Oh yeah, that's M LOK mounting system. OK, I buy the parts, get home and try to put it on, watch a little YouTube, and the slots are way narrower than M LOK. What kind of system is this? Or is it a mounting system at all? Nothing seems to fit these slots. I can send pics to anyone willing to help. Thanks in advance,

Frustrated

Posted By: Grizz

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/26/18 11:59 PM

Can you post pics of what you have? That's the best way to determine exactly which mounting system you have.

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:21 AM

I'd love to and have tried and failed. It looks like M LOK but it's too skinny to accept M LOK hardware. OK,just checked again. The slots on top appear to be wide enough for M LOK, just not long enough.

Edited to add:. The little teats on the M Lok hardware won't fit the slots in the handguard.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:22 AM

Far as I know there's Keymod and M-Lok. Could be the guy was confused or doesn't know the difference.

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Far as I know there's Keymod and M-Lok. Could be the guy was confused or doesn't know the difference.

That's what I thought,Keymod or M-Lok. Might be a non-mountable handguard. I think I'm getting a M-Lok Styngr for it.

Edited because autocorrect is effing with me.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:41 AM

Some of the older rails have proprietary rail sections like the older Troy and Samson rails.

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:44 AM

No optic. Just trying to mount a small pic rail to the hand guard for a front sling swivel. It has an A2 stock, that I appreciate, but no front sling mount.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
Some of the older rails have proprietary rail sections like the older Troy and Samson rails.

True

Now it’s keymod or mlok

Ford Chevy
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:45 AM

Yea sorry I reread your post after I submitted mine. What brand of rail is it?

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:49 AM

No optic. Just trying to mount a small pic rail to the hand guard for a front sling swivel. It has an A2 stock, that I appreciate, but no front sling mount.

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:51 AM

Pretty sure it's a Magpul brand front handguard. Weird.

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:52 AM

It doesn't have the little M LOK emblem, so it's not that.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 01:03 AM

Added pic to the OP and putting it here as well so it is not missed

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 01:11 AM

Thanks! Those slots look big in the picture, but they won't accept M LOK hardware. Might be a knock-off?
Posted By: swmays

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 01:49 AM

The Magpul MOE M-LOK Hand Guard

M-LOK slots at the two, six, and ten o'clock positions for mounting MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rails or other direct-attach M-LOK accessories

From Magpul’s website.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 01:59 AM

There are 2 different sizes for M-lock. I found this out too when I bought a M-lock handguard and accessories. The accessories would not fit due to being too big of a nut to fit through the slot.

EDIT: One is MOE and one is M-lock. Both mount the same way
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 12:47 PM

It's likely a knock off. The Magpul version has both "MOE" and the M-LOK symbol on it.

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 06:59 PM

Thanks everyone. It does have three M-Lok on top for optics and such, but the rest of the slots are not M-Lok.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/27/18 07:26 PM

doesn't appear to be anything some fine dremel work wouldn't take care of
Posted By: SR025

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/28/18 12:56 AM

Illl assume with that handguard the rifle has a front sight post, you can get a sling mount that mounts on the front sight.
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: AR Guys Help? - 05/31/18 03:25 AM

I believe that is the moe handguard and not an mlock handguard. The sizes are different! The mounting hardware is a bit different as well. I ran into that issue when I first bought an mlock! The moe rail sections don’t fit right and vise versa!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum