Texas Hunting Forum

Berm for .50 BMG?

Posted By: J.G.

Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 01:45 PM

I have found some data that is showing me what it will take. I was wondering if anyone has more data.

Here's the worst case scenario, armor piercing at 50 yards, multiple rounds.

What I'm looking at is a left side, back, right side cross tie enclosure, 8' wide X 8' deep, 4' to 5' high. A sheet of 1/2" AR 500 on the back wall, then the whole thing filled with dirt.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 04:31 PM

We just shoot our AP rounds into a plastic 55 gallon drum fille with sand, in front of a regular berm. 8x8 is pretty big, unless you plan on missing

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 05:06 PM

You understand it's 8 wide, 8 deep, but mot 8' tall right? It will be used at 600 yards, also. That's about how wide the current berm is.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 05:31 PM

At 600 with a fifty and an 8’ berm. I wouldn’t pull the trigger. Too easy to overshoot that little berm. That round is way too destructive. It’s gotta be stopped every time.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 05:33 PM

Didn’t you watch the original tremors movie? The 50 BMG doesn’t penetrate dirt well

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 05:34 PM

bang IT WILL NOT BE EIGHT FEET TALL!

With a proper scope, it's easy to keep rounds on the berm. Didn't have any .308 leave berms yesterday, while I was teaching. And that was a new to that distance shooter.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Didn’t you watch the original tremors movie? The 50 BMG doesn’t penetrate dirt well

I'm thinking 8 feet of dirt, for it to travel through, will get it done.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

With a proper scope, it's easy to keep rounds on the berm. Didn't have any .308 leave berms yesterday, while I was teaching. And that was a new to that distance shooter.

I see that now, that’s even more dangerous.

Hey, visit NTSA and look at their 50 yard range. It’s set up as you describe with a taller berm. You might get some ideas re construction.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

I see that now, that’s even more dangerous.

Hey, visit NTSA and look at their 50 yard range. It’s set up as you describe with a taller berm. You might get some ideas re construction.

That height is not dangerous. My berms are 5' tall, max, and work every day. The guys shooting the .50 will be competent. This is not for general use.

I've read what the military has decided is sufficient thickness, and it looks like I'm doubling what they require.

From: The Ultimate Sniper: An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers by John Plaster. 

Sand at 600 meters: 12" 
Sand at 1500 meters: 6" 
Clay at 600 meters: 26" 
Clay at 1500 meters: 21" 

50 Cal armor piercing (Muzzle velocity not given): 

Sand at 600 meters: 12" 
Sand at 1500 meters: 6" 
Clay at 600 meters: 27" 
Clay at 1500 meters: 21" 

50 AP at 100 yards: 

Concrete 9" 
Timber (logs) 96" 
Dry Soil: 28" 
Wet Soil: 42" 
Dry Sand: 24" 
Wet Sand: 36" 
Dry Clay: 42" 
Wet Clay: 64
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 06:12 PM

Might wanna go higher than 8'.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 06:55 PM

Read closer. His berm is 4’-5’ tall.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Read closer. His berm is 4’-5’ tall.

I read what he wrote before I posted.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Might wanna go higher than 8'.
duel

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 09:06 PM

You understand it's 8 wide, 8 deep, but mot 8' tall right? It will be used at 600 yards, also. That's about how wide the current berm is.

Yes, I can read.

Why is this only at 600? Is that just the berm you want to use? What gun are they using? The Barrett barrel for AP rounds isn’t very accurate. We were shooting 2 MOA and that was considered good by Barrett. Obviously, a 5 foot berm will be plenty for 2 MOA at 600.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 09:13 PM

JG...will this be ready for the Precision Match in July?

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Yes, I can read.

Why is this only at 600? Is that just the berm you want to use? What gun are they using? The Barrett barrel for AP rounds isn’t very accurate. We were shooting 2 MOA and that was considered good by Barrett. Obviously, a 5 foot berm will be plenty for 2 MOA at 600.

600 is the distance some ammo needs to be tested. Don't know what rifle.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
JG...will this be ready for the Precision Match in July?

No
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 11:24 PM

I feel like you haven’t thought this through enough
Posted By: That 1 GUy

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 11:39 PM

For some reason I think the usual saying applies:

Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Play it safe man, you have nothing to lose really so why not? You did come for opinions correct?

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

You shut up.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/25/18 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: That 1 GUy

Play it safe man, you have nothing to lose really so why not? You did come for opinions correct?

No, I came looking for experience, and all I'm getting are opinions. Kmon1 has had a .50, not sure whom else has.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

You shut up.

roflmao
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 12:56 AM

I don’t have a 50cal but have read this before and find it interesting

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2013/05/f1/Range_Design_Criteria.pdf

Figure 2 (pg 13) gives various materials and how many inches is needed to stop various calibers including 50 cal

Just a couple more for reference as you already had most labeled

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
I don’t have a 50cal but have read this before and find it interesting

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2013/05/f1/Range_Design_Criteria.pdf

Figure 2 (pg 13) gives various materials and how many inches is needed to stop various calibers including 50 cal

Just a couple more for reference as you already had most labeled

up

Earth, packed or tampted 60"
.......undisturbed compact 66"
.......freshly turned 72"
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 01:14 AM

Yeah by the numbers you look good...

If it were me, being a bit risk adverse, I would put a layer of some gravel filled concrete blocks at the back so it would be plate, concrete blocks then dirt. Or if you wanted to be ultra paranoid fill them with concrete.

I know some people are concerned about how it will work, but I am 99.9% sure you will only allow people to do this with explicit permission and in certain ways. I doubt you are going to let someone walk up with a 50 cal and let them shoot long range.

Personnelly I don’t see the value in 50cals but the beauty about this country is it don’t matter if I would do it, you can do what you what as long as it’s safe

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 01:35 AM

I think my idea of 8' of soil, a sheet of armor steel, followed by cross ties will get it done.

And you're right, 50 BMG I've completely forbidden, and after this berm is built, it will only be used by one organization. I'm still not going to allow anyone else to launch .50 out there. If someone swings a muzzle off the range, and a bullet hits a neighbor's cow, they get reimbursed for a cow, and then there's friction between us, that doesn't exist now. I will keep it that way.

I too have no desire to own one. There's better extreme range target rounds, that don't need this level of precautions, and are less expensive to load for.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: That 1 GUy

No, I came looking for experience, and all I'm getting are opinions. Kmon1 has had a .50, not sure whom else has.

Don’t own one. But have been through the 5 day school with that heavy bastard. I told you what we use, and it works just fine and we often recover the rounds. Our distance are 100, 200, and 300 yards.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 01:58 AM

I went back and read what yall have shot into. That's telling me my, what I'm planning to build will hold up.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 02:13 AM

I went back and read what yall have shot into. That's telling me my, what I'm planning to build will hold up.

You are way overkill, but when dealing with flying bullets and lives, there really is no such thing. Make sure the berm is free of rocks. The berm we shot into for the school want, and a round exited the top of the berm after finding that rock.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 03:22 AM

I don’t have any experience with the .50, bu I don’t see any way in hell that it’s going to go through timbers, 8 feet of dirt, AND a piece of AR500.

Can you bring someone out that has a .50 to see what your current backstops do? I would try to judge what I already had before planning something that may be total, entire overkill.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
I don’t have any experience with the .50, bu I don’t see any way in hell that it’s going to go through timbers, 8 feet of dirt, AND a piece of AR500.

Can you bring someone out that has a .50 to see what your current backstops do? I would try to judge what I already had before planning something that may be total, entire overkill.

Sir, he is a fireman. I have seen how they build houses. They over engineer the F out of everything. Just let him be lol.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez

Sir, he is a fireman. I have seen how they build houses. They over engineer the F out of everything. Just let him be lol.

That may very well be.

After reading this thread, it sounds like everybody thinks a 50 will go through 15’ of concrete, 12’ of dirt, 7 Sherman tanks, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 05:05 AM

That may very well be.

After reading this thread, it sounds like everybody thinks a 50 will go through 15’ of concrete, 12’ of dirt, 7 Sherman tanks, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Well welcome to the Texas Hunting Forum roflmao That is funny
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 05:08 AM

That may very well be.

Only a 6.5 Creedmoor can do that. Duh! roflmao

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 08:27 AM

No point in that. I've got berms, without enclosures. Depending on which part of the berm the 50 is shot at, it will go though.

Your suggestion is like just sharpening a knife, and running your finger down the edge to see if it's sharp. Know how that ends?

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 12:15 PM

You're smart, Josh.

We know how good we are at tearing up [censored].
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 01:43 PM

Jason you know where a 50 is if you want to try one when you get the berm built.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 01:53 PM

JG,
I have the NRA Range Development manual, which I am happy to lend to you.

If you would like to review it, pm me your mailing address and it will be on the way.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Jason you know where a 50 is if you want to try one when you get the berm built.

I am honored for the offer! Loaning another man his rifle is akin to allowing him to dance with his wife, in my opinion.

If I end up needing to build this thing, I may take you up on that. And I am more than happy to reimburse ammo expense.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
JG,
I have the NRA Range Development manual, which I am happy to lend to you.

If you would like to review it, pm me your mailing address and it will be on the way.

I appreciate it Jeff. Reading several sources online, and learning BigPig's experience with it, I think I have the numbers worked out.

Re: Berm for .50 BMG? - 05/26/18 02:05 PM

You’re welcome.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum