Texas Hunting Forum

Air rifle

Posted By: Cool Mo D

Air rifle - 05/25/18 02:21 AM

Need .177 or .22 air rifle recommendations please. For varmint control.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Air rifle - 05/25/18 02:40 AM

I'm a bit of a fan of the GAMO line; matter of fact, I own 2 of them. One is a springer, the other one is a compressed air type. Both are 17 caliber. I suggest that you get a compressed air model so that you can leave it cocked and ready to go very quickly. If you leave a springer cocked for quite a while, the spring will take a set and you'll lose some velocity. I just ordered a new GAMO Maxim Swarm, and will be retiring my springer or selling it at a gun show. I wage war on squirrels, feral cats and raccoons, and inside 20 yards, a head shot will take 'em down. You may want to consider one in 22 caliber since your main thing is varmint control. That caliber delivers a bit more smack-down.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Air rifle - 05/25/18 02:50 AM

Cats from street over that don't belong here.Thank you.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Air rifle - 05/25/18 02:57 AM

I have a 20 plus year old Gamo that is a one of my toys. It does what I need it to do.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Air rifle - 05/25/18 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Cool Mo D
Cats from street over that don't belong here.Thank you.

Call animal control and save yourself some legal headaches.
Posted By: rex47

Re: Air rifle - 05/25/18 12:23 PM

can you leave the compressed air models cocked for a period of time (say 3-4 days)
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Air rifle - 05/25/18 12:37 PM

Go to Pyramid Air, you can browse and read about all of them. I bought my Diana RWS with a Hawke scope. They have package deals where they will mount the scope and sight it in. read up, there is allot to learn about a higher grade pellet rifle. Especially the proper scope mounts

Or, you can go to Academy and get a middle of the road gun, the Beeman Teton piston rifle.

you could leave on cocked but really no need too.

depends on the size of your targets and if you want to kill it. I used to have a feral cat problem when I was a kid. I had a Sheridan Blue Streak. I would pump it 3 times and shoot these cats in the butt, they would screech but pellet would not penetrate. Same rifle claimed a ton of robins, sparrows and cedar wax wings every afternoon when I was a kid, a bad kid
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Air rifle - 05/25/18 12:56 PM

Still love my Benjamin.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Air rifle - 05/25/18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
Still love my Benjamin.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Air rifle - 05/25/18 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: rex47
can you leave the compressed air models cocked for a period of time (say 3-4 days)

Yes, rex47; you can leave them cocked supposedly "forever;" they just hold the charge of air in the air chamber until the trigger is pulled to release it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum