Texas Hunting Forum

Another 10/22 Question

Posted By: shea.mcphail

Another 10/22 Question - 05/22/18 03:33 AM

So I bought my first 10/22 and bought it in the takedown model. I bought some CCI Quiet 22 Segmented HP, but they won’t cycle through. After reading this:
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/3/19/top-6-subsonic-22-lr-loads-for-small-game-hunting/

I think I might try the CCI suppressor next. Does anyone have experience using this round in the 10/22 semiauto? Do you think it should cycle and eject with no issues?

Also, what would be your choice of suppressor that you would attach to the takedown model? I want to make my gun as quiet as possible for some squirrel hunting.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/22/18 03:39 AM

I don’t have much experience with reduced loads in the 10/22, but here’s my thoughts:

1: How many rounds do you have through the rifle so far?
2: Does it function on standard velocity ammo?

3: Ruger makes an integrally surprised barrel for the takedown. That’s what I would buy.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/22/18 03:49 AM

Only fired about a dozen rounds of the Quiet. I also fired some Remington subsonics that cycled just fine. Haven’t tried any standard velocity ammo yet. I’m curious to find more about this barrel you speak of.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/22/18 04:43 AM

https://ruger.com/micros/silent-sr-ISB/index.html
Posted By: 21Brutus

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/22/18 11:50 AM

I run Gemtech Subsonic bullets through my 10/22 with a Yankee Hill suppressed barrel. My neighbors have confirmed is sounds like a pellet gun to them.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/22/18 12:48 PM

Look at the Kidd charging handles. Come with 3 springs, one light one for the subsonic loads. With that, mine cycles perfectly.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/22/18 03:17 PM

Those reduced power loads are not to be used in a 10/22 unless you have converted to single shot. There is a kit for that. I wouldn’t change to a weaker spring, but any Kidd part you add will be good. That’s another thread. Just switch to a good subsonic ammo like CCI standard or green tag or Wolf MT. Subsonic is quiter, no sonic boom crack. Add a Sparrow or the Ruger suppressed barrel. I’d like to try that barrel.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/22/18 06:06 PM

Cci standard
Posted By: roughneck266

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/22/18 07:19 PM

They were meant to run suppressed. It's blow back operated, so the extra back pressure from a suppressor would make the difference. Some subsonic stuff is faster than others, so you might find some brands that will cycle and others that will not while it isn't suppressed. Heavier grain projectiles help too.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/22/18 07:34 PM

CCI quiet does not have enough umph to cycle a semi-auto in most cases. The only exception that I know if is the remmington 550 or remington speedmaster which has a floating chamber design that allows it to cycle the light stuff. Once you throw a suppressor on it, that may or may not give it the added back pressure to cycle. I have no clue.
Posted By: biggerD

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/23/18 02:03 AM

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1083

This is the 10/22 answer to this issue and if you run it surpressed then you will more then likely have the same problem.
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/23/18 02:55 PM

Radius and polish the bottom rear of the bolt. Polish the hammer face. Put a Tuffer Buffer in it. Radius and polish will help the bolt run easier for subs, the Tuffer Buffer will quiet down the action noise and also absorb the bolt thrust if you do run HV ammo in it after doing the mods. If it still won't run quiets after the polishing work, then you can get the Kidd charging handle with lighter springs. Adding a suppressor will also help it run the lighter ammo. I have a Spectre II I use on my 22RF's and really like it.

CCI Standard Velocity is a moderately priced, good quality, subsonic ammunition. Fairly quiet and usually pretty accurate in a wide variety of rifles.

Go over to Rimfire Central, lots and lots of info over there for the kind of questions you are asking.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/23/18 03:21 PM

Working the bolt is required for 10/22’s but I send mine to Randy at CPC. He does all the work on 10/22’s that I can’t.

It won’t make it shoot the rat shot and quiet stuff. I actually tried on one of my 10/22’s and concluded that the single shot mod was the only way. It’s Hundred dollar option. No thanks, I’ll buy a CZ first.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/23/18 04:25 PM

Just shoot CCI standard velocity. It will cycle with zero issues. It is great subsonic ammo and you can buy it anywhere. It is also the ammo Silencerco recommends for shooting through their .22 suppressors, for what that’s worth.

As far as suppressors, I would look at the Q El Camino and the Silencerco Spectre II. I personally wouldn’t go with the integrally suppressed barrel because it is specific to just the 10/22. Get a regular .22 can and you can swap it onto other guns.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Another 10/22 Question - 05/27/18 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: roughneck266
They were meant to run suppressed. It's blow back operated, so the extra back pressure from a suppressor would make the difference. Some subsonic stuff is faster than others, so you might find some brands that will cycle and others that will not while it isn't suppressed. Heavier grain projectiles help too.

This is the correct answer for a suppressor. If you are not adding a suppressor later then the Kidd spring assortment is the correct answer. I have it and my 10/22 will cycle 30gr at 600 and 38gr at 1500.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum