Texas Hunting Forum

Holsters

Posted By: jhenderson

Holsters - 05/10/18 12:10 PM

Not asking for a specific pistol but in general. My LTC should be here soon so time to start shopping for a good comfortable holster. For summer I’ll probably carry smaller like maybe a Glock 43 but haven’t decided 100% what pistol I plan to carry. Cooler months I’ll probably carry something bigger maybe even 1911. I don’t consider myself a big guy and obviously it’s going to be different for everyone. What are some good options to consider? Price isn’t really a concern but comfort is. Also not positive how I will carry either but will be concealed.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Holsters - 05/10/18 12:24 PM

tucker gun leather
Posted By: janie

Re: Holsters - 05/10/18 12:40 PM

It'll be trial and error for awhile. Finally found what works best for me, and that's IWB Kydex. Very comfortable. Love Bladetech holsters. Also have one East made for me. Very nice product.
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Holsters - 05/10/18 12:41 PM

I like a minimal belt slide type holster. Carry my Glock in a DeSantis... Galco makes good comfortable ones too...
Posted By: hawk

Re: Holsters - 05/10/18 01:08 PM

D.M. Bullard
Posted By: Weegs

Re: Holsters - 05/10/18 07:41 PM

Hate to tell you but holsters are like shoes. Just 'cus they look good on someone else and they swear by them does not mean that you will get the same results. This is part of the reason why we all have a drawer full of holsters that just did not work. Having said all that, my Springfield Utracompact .45 rides in a Crossbreed and my XD Subcompact rides in a Comp-Tac, use to be called the Minitar. Both are IWB, leather against the skin, Kydex around the weapon.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Holsters - 05/10/18 10:42 PM

What Weegs said...I have went through dozens and dozens of holsters over the years, from cheapos to high end custom leather. What I like and use may not be your cup of tea. Currently using a couple of On Your Six kydex IWB and OWB that work pretty good for me. Always on the lookout for something better though...

Re: Holsters - 05/10/18 11:26 PM

I figure it will take a few to find what’s right but if I can eliminate a few to start off with that would be nice.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Holsters - 05/11/18 12:51 PM

I know very few people that have tried a Milt Sparks and didn't like it. There's a reason they're more costly and take time to get.

Personally, I use JM Custom Kydex to carry a G19 all day every day. On the same note as above, not all holsters are created equal. They're a bit more money, but if you actually carry your gun all the time like you're supposed to, you'll find it's worth the investment.
Posted By: erathar

Re: Holsters - 05/12/18 02:03 PM

Alien gear cloak tuck
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Holsters - 05/12/18 02:07 PM

Turner Leatherworks in Rockwall
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Holsters - 05/12/18 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: jhenderson
I figure it will take a few to find what’s right but if I can eliminate a few to start off with that would be nice.

First thing I would eliminate is anything non leather, leather form fit's over time and is far more comfortable. I'd also suggest not ordering anything on line if possible, you really need to try them on first. One more! Make sure it has a thumb strap.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Holsters - 05/12/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: hawk
D.M. Bullard

Yep
Looks good , works good
Posted By: Phlash

Re: Holsters - 05/21/18 04:38 AM

Ditto on Tucker Gun Leather. The mini-iwb holster is great for the micro guns.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Holsters - 05/21/18 04:45 AM

I have 3 crossbreeds that are really good. It all depends on what works best for you.
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: Holsters - 05/21/18 02:07 PM

I've gone through about 6 holsters for my sig p238. some are too big and bulky others aren't secure enough and others are just uncomfortable. finally made it down to 2 holsters. 1, IWB that hooks over a belt the other is a pocket holster for when I'm in shorts.

All in all, guess, test and revise.

Re: Holsters - 05/21/18 02:14 PM

Desantis Super Fly

will disappear into your front pocket
Posted By: guitarbob

Re: Holsters - 05/22/18 08:43 PM

After some trial and error, I settled on the Relentless Tactical Stealth Mode Kydex for my EDC. I'm a little weird, in that I carry outside the pants, but inside the belt. It's very secure and comfortable for me. I fill out the waistband of my pants just fine without any help from my pistol.

They are specific to the pistol. So, I have three of them. One for each of three pistols. LS9S Pro, Shield .45, and a G17. All of them fit perfect. I like the audible click I hear when the firearm is properly seated in the holster.

Price is right in my opinion. They usually run $35 on the website. Great customer service too.

Relentless Tactical Website
Posted By: 68A

Re: Holsters - 05/22/18 10:05 PM

Have a comp tac IWB that is comfortable. I like kydex or a hybrid. The thought of the trigger hanging on a worn leather holster is enough to steer me away. Obviously a lot of people use them without issue, ymmv.

Re: Holsters - 05/23/18 12:11 AM

Has anyone tried the g-code?
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Holsters - 05/23/18 01:24 AM

Having tried many, my current favorite is a Crossbreed with the top cut off at the belt line and skateboard tape added to aid retention on the draw. Full size Les Baer 1911 for size reference. White paper for contrast to show the top/belt line with the sweat guard removed. Leather against the skin is comfortable and kydex on the outside reduces width. The Milt Sparks VM2 is the other favorite. Sweat guards add comfort, but impede gaining a good grip for the draw, so avoid them.

Closeup of the tape for those interested.

Posted By: 68A

Re: Holsters - 05/23/18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Having tried many, my current favorite is a Crossbreed with the top cut off at the belt line and skateboard tape added to aid retention on the draw. Full size Les Baer 1911 for size reference. White paper for contrast to show the top/belt line with the sweat guard removed. Leather against the skin is comfortable and kydex on the outside reduces width. The Milt Sparks VM2 is the other favorite. Sweat guards add comfort, but impede gaining a good grip for the draw, so avoid them.

Closeup of the tape for those interested.

I like that.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Holsters - 05/24/18 12:38 AM

I have been carrying a commander size 1911 in crossbreed holster with matching mag carrier. But got this in from Tuctite Co today and it's my new daily carry. G19 with extra mag in appendix carry. Feels really good on.

Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Holsters - 05/24/18 05:49 AM

For the minimalist IWB holster, I really like the Vedder line.

I wanted to support the Tulster holster, since they are made in my original woods. However, just holstering my P938 a couple of times in the example I received left some pretty deep gashes in a known durable finish.

Re: Holsters - 05/24/18 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
G19 with extra mag in appendix carry.

FYI, if you're carrying a Glock AIWB a Gadget striker control device is a very nice addition. Allows an extra level of safety while reholstering by allowing you to block the trigger from moving back accidentally by placing your thumb on the back of the slide. I've been using one for a while now, much appreciate the extra piece of mind that comes with the small investment.

Link: Gadget
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Holsters - 05/24/18 01:34 PM

I too have a whole drawer full of holsters and went through quite a few before I landed on what I use daily. In winter, I carry outside the waist in an El Paso Saddlery tortilla holster with thumb break. With an untucked shirt, this conceals very well...and if I ever do carry open, it is a really good looking holster too! EL paso saddlery does an excellent job. In summer, I usually use a desantis softuck.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Holsters - 05/24/18 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Crews

FYI, if you're carrying a Glock AIWB a Gadget striker control device is a very nice addition. Allows an extra level of safety while reholstering by allowing you to block the trigger from moving back accidentally by placing your thumb on the back of the slide. I've been using one for a while now, much appreciate the extra piece of mind that comes with the small investment.

Thanks I'll definitely look into it because I always kinda grit my teeth and hope for the best when reholstering. There is always that thought in the back of your mind damn gonna shoot my jewels off.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Holsters - 05/24/18 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Crews

Thanks I'll definitely look into it because I always kinda grit my teeth and hope for the best when reholstering. There is always that thought in the back of your mind damn gonna shoot my jewels off.

This is one major reason I like the XD line of pistols (I carry a XDs 9). When I holster, I do what Crews suggested and put my thumb on the back of the slide which takes my hand off the backstrap. If the backstrap "safety" isn't pressed, the trigger can't be pulled. I push it down into my holster with my thumb.

Re: Holsters - 05/24/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott W

This is one major reason I like the XD line of pistols (I carry a XDs 9). When I holster, I do what Crews suggested and put my thumb on the back of the slide which takes my hand off the backstrap. If the backstrap "safety" isn't pressed, the trigger can't be pulled. I push it down into my holster with my thumb.

Definitely nothing wrong with that! I like the Gadget because you can physically prevent the trigger from moving, and not depend on any of the intrinsic safety designs of the platform. Until the Gadget was released, I only limited myself to carrying hammer-fired guns that provided this amount of mechanical advantage. H&K P-30 to be exact. it's nice, but never got used to the LEM trigger and i can buy two Glocks for one H&K.

Re: Holsters - 05/25/18 04:34 AM

Feels really good on.

say what!!??
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum