Texas Hunting Forum

Whats the box worth???

Posted By: theman6515

Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 06:26 PM

This might be a repeated question. I have been lucky enough to purchase a few new rifles in the past. I currently have all the boxes and everything that came with the rifle. The boxes are great but they do take up some space.

So the questions, Whats the box really worth on resale? When i'm looking at a used firearm I do not worry about the box, but do you?

Thanks is advance for your input.
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 06:29 PM

I do not want the box when I buy used. i kept all of mine until the last move.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 06:52 PM

keep all mine, I think it adds to re sale. I like my buyers to enjoy the same feeling I do when I buy a new gun and open the box for the first time.

now when I get a transfer of a new gun the ffl usually opens it, pisses me off.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
keep all mine, I think it adds to re sale. I like my buyers to enjoy the same feeling I do when I buy a new gun and open the box for the first time.

now when I get a transfer of a new gun the ffl usually opens it, pisses me off.

They have to verify the serial number on the box to the gun for logging it in.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 06:55 PM

All mine go to the burn pile unless it is or will be a collector piece.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 07:16 PM

I would say it adds $50-100 depending on the rifle if you plan to resell it down the road. I kept my CTR's box just in case. My RRA came in a hard case. All my other rifles were bought used or are so old there's no box.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 07:27 PM

I keep all boxes. I tend to believe that folks who keep the boxes are more particular about things and take better care of stuff. If you don't care about boxes, you're probably more likely to be the guy banging your equipment around in the truck/field/etc., which is fine, but I also won't pay you as much when I'm buying something used as I would from a guy whose stuff went from the safe to the range to the cleaning table and then back in the safe.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 08:22 PM

Burn pile, my guns are tools. I don't have the box my Crescent wrench came in either. I understand patriot07's thoughts, but I think, what other useless stuff do you have hoarded up in that house. Do you have room to turn around?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 08:26 PM

I keep them. I have room to turn around. smile
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 09:26 PM

Not all boxes will be worth something, but if there's any out-of-the-way place to stow them it's a good idea.

About 15 years ago I got between a fiscal rock and a financial hard place so I put some stuff up for auction on fleebay. One of the items was a wooden presentation box for a 5-inch S&W Model 27. That box brought me one heck of a lot more cash than I ever dreamed...sometimes I remember the final winning bid as being $370, and sometimes I remember it as being $420 but it was one or the other. Either way, I'm sure glad I hung on to it until I did.

Certain firearms will bring more with the original boxes also. I don't believe I have EVER thrown a box away.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 09:27 PM

Or was it $405??

nidea
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/01/18 09:42 PM

Well I keep the boxes and receipts and original paperwork, not for resale but for handing down to my heirs which then it adds some value (monetary or sentimental). They are stored out of the way and yes I have room to turn around in the house.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/02/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt
Well I keep the boxes and receipts and original paperwork, not for resale but for handing down to my heirs which then it adds some value (monetary or sentimental). They are stored out of the way and yes I have room to turn around in the house.

What he said.

I also purchased several boxes of Winchester 150th Anniversary Ammo because it came in a small, wooden box much like it did 150 years ago. The boxes and ammo inside them will be left behind for the kids.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/02/18 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
I keep all boxes. I tend to believe that folks who keep the boxes are more particular about things and take better care of stuff. If you don't care about boxes, you're probably more likely to be the guy banging your equipment around in the truck/field/etc., which is fine, but I also won't pay you as much when I'm buying something used as I would from a guy whose stuff went from the safe to the range to the cleaning table and then back in the safe.

my man
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/02/18 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07

Same here. I keep all boxes and paperwork for everything I buy of significant value...guns, watches, scopes, etc. They either go in the closet or in the attic. Always nice to have the original box if you plan to sell it. I will also say for nice watches having the original box and paperwork can add thousands to the value.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/02/18 03:03 AM

I throw them in the attic. I do not have all of them but I have most and all my scopes and stuff.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/02/18 04:10 AM

Not worth chit to me.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/02/18 04:14 AM

Depends on the gun and the box...current guns the boxes mean nothing...but I'll pay up to $200 for 1970's S&W wood presentation cases in good shape with tools...and original number matching boxes for 40-60 year old S&W revolvers are worth a premium to me.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/02/18 07:38 PM

Barely worth coming home from the store with.
Posted By: kk66

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/02/18 09:23 PM

Agree on the $50 to $100 when resold with the box but that's with the caveat that the condition is still pretty close to new. I'll save the box for a couple of months, by that point I'm either bored with the gun in which case it will go down the road with the box or its pretty much going to stay in which case it will get used enough that box or no box if its sold it will be in pretty well used condition.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/03/18 01:43 AM

I prefer to want a the original box when I buy a used firearms especially if its a hard case.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/03/18 04:30 AM

I keep all my boxes and extraneous stuff and want them when i buy a used firearm. I hate not having them on the few i've bought without it. I'd say worth at least $50 to me if not more on every firearm.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/03/18 05:18 AM

I don’t see how a box could possibly add value on a newer mass produced gun it’s cheap cardboard and a sticker. Maybe on a 50s era gun or something I could see it. Unless the box is collectible by itself, I’d never pay extra for a gun just because it has a box.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/03/18 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
All mine go to the burn pile unless it is or will be a collector piece.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/03/18 02:30 PM

If I kept all the boxes from guns past and present I'd have to add on to the house.........
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/03/18 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I don’t see how a box could possibly add value on a newer mass produced gun it’s cheap cardboard and a sticker. Maybe on a 50s era gun or something I could see it. Unless the box is collectible by itself, I’d never pay extra for a gun just because it has a box.

Everything that's collectible is more valuable if it comes with the original box. And the condition of the box is almost as important as the condition of the item. It's why NIB or New in Box brings the greatest resale value.

Although I'm not a collector, I can see how those items that are often thrown away often fall into the collector market.

My oldest NIB rifle is a Winchester Model 94 that was manufactured in 1977. If only I had kept the boxes for all those old Hot Wheels I owned back in the late 60's.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/05/18 12:07 AM

There is no question having the original box adds to the resale value. I have the boxes to every firearm I’ve bought new except for a Maxus whose box got wet when the hot water heater sprung a leak.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/05/18 12:18 AM

unless something special, bx's worth is nil
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Whats the box worth??? - 05/05/18 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: theman6515
This might be a repeated question.

Yep. Once per quarter to once per year.

Value depends on the firearm. Usually $25-300.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum