Texas Hunting Forum

Ruger Gunsite Scout Accuracy

Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Ruger Gunsite Scout Accuracy - 04/21/18 07:35 PM

For anyone with experience with this gun, curious about how well it shoots out to 400. Most shots will be within 200, but further is possible. 16" composite stock, 6.25lbs, in 308. Will add an 8" can.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Accuracy - 04/21/18 08:06 PM

I don't have any experience with it but Sportsman's Warehouse has them on sale for $800. There are a bunch of rifles on sale right now.

I thought that gun was heavier than that. I bet it shoots fine. It's not 1995 anymore. Most new rifles are good out to 400 yards nowdays, even the cheap ones.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Accuracy - 04/21/18 09:29 PM

I'm not a long range shooter normally, but do have one that does under a 1 inch group without a problem. Very good rifle..
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Accuracy - 04/22/18 05:17 AM

The Ruger Gunsite Scout is my primary rifle... well, unless I'm carrying my Rossi M92 357.

I have to admit that I'm not a paper puncher. I'll spend the due diligence to sight in a rifle, but I don't like shooting at a target range that much.

I think the results of the Ruger GSR will greatly depend on how you set it up and use it. I have mine in a pretty-true Scout setup. It has a forward mounted 2-7 Burris, and a Rhodesian sling, I consider it a 200yd rifle. However, if a guy was to run a conventional scope and setup, I see no reason it wouldn't stretch out there some more.

I don't take calibers to my targets or very often shoot off a rest. All I can say is that it shoots what I'm shooting at.
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Accuracy - 04/22/18 11:41 AM

Thanks for the response guys.
gusik, thanks for the SW price. Ruger must be providing incentive, as $800 is the going rate at several dealers.
Old Stony, <1" works for me.
okstatefan, Rossi M92 in 357 looks like fun for sure. Your confirmation is the type of response I was looking for. I think I'll add the Burris Fullfield II conventional & safari sling.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Accuracy - 04/22/18 03:59 PM

I have an early laminate version and have found it it be a very handy rig. Scout scope setup it is a 1 inch 3 shot group at 100 if I do my part, but where it shines is in the field, I have taken mine to 400 on steel and a 2/3 IDPA is not safe. I bought a flush mag for mine and makes finding your balance point easier if you are not expecting to need 10 rounds.

I think they are a solid rifle and mine gets taken out of the safe all the time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum