Texas Hunting Forum

Best Rifle Case??

Posted By: Lazyman

Best Rifle Case?? - 04/07/18 08:21 PM

What case do y'all recommend for a rifle...Been looking at the Pelican 1750...Others to consider???Thanks
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/07/18 08:24 PM

Pelican 1750 for me. Some people are against spending the $200 on them but considering your investment into the rifle I think it’s worth it. Last time I bought one academy had the best price.

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/07/18 08:26 PM

Also saw the Pelican 3300..Looks like it just a little bit wider but not sure if it is worth the extra money...

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/07/18 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: wp75169
Pelican 1750 for me. Some people are against spending the $200 on them but considering your investment into the rifle I think it’s worth it. Last time I bought one academy had the best price.

I'll have to watch Academy...I looked on ebay first and cheapest I saw was about 230...

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/07/18 08:29 PM

I think the 3300 is made out of a different material as well.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/07/18 09:33 PM

Pelican 1750. Can’t be beat
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/07/18 10:36 PM

Its worth noting that Rtic has a case now. Haven't got one in hand but they look very similar to the other molded cases at a much better price point
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/07/18 11:41 PM

So think about why you need a case imo.

If you are flying what are th oversized dimensions? Can you stay under that?

If it’s for none flying travel have you seen the air bags?

I have a big hard sided rifle case and have used it once. Now it just sits in the corner because I prefer soft sided bags for 99.5% of my travel
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/08/18 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

I have a big hard sided rifle case and have used it once. Now it just sits in the corner because I prefer soft sided bags for 99.5% of my travel

When the back cab of the truck is full of luggage and bedding for two people, it is nice to be able to put the rifle in the bed, and roll. Home, to been as far as 1000 miles from home, with the rifle in a Pelican, in the bed. Every weather scenario possible. Rifle, and scope hitting $4k-$5k is just fine inside that case. $200 is cheap for what it does.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/08/18 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

When the back cab of the truck is full of luggage and bedding for two people, it is nice to be able to put the rifle in the bed, and roll. Home, to been as far as 1000 miles from home, with the rifle in a Pelican, in the bed. Every weather scenario possible. Rifle, and scope hitting $4k-$5k is just fine inside that case. $200 is cheap for what it does.

Glad you found a case that works for you needs...

Hopefully op can find something that works for his needs
Posted By: 68A

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/08/18 01:51 AM

^^^
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/08/18 04:32 AM

Bingo. My rifles don’t have the luxury of riding in a trunk or truck can. During the process of a weekend of hunting, there is no telling what will get tossed on top of the guns in the bed. Pelican case keeps them alive and working
Posted By: 9x19

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/08/18 01:03 PM

I have two of these and couldn't imagine treating one of these cases harsh enough to damage the contents... maybe if it fell off the back of the truck going 75 and tumbled?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029KKWT8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/08/18 01:45 PM

You can find a box or container that you want and customize it for your gun, optics, and magazines. Easy but messy.

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/08/18 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: 9x19
I have two of these and couldn't imagine treating one of these cases harsh enough to damage the contents... maybe if it fell off the back of the truck going 75 and tumbled?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029KKWT8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like a pretty good case. You can YouTube torture test for all these cases. Might be worth looking into for a buyer.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/08/18 02:02 PM

I actually used the Above case when I went to Mexico recently and have used it on four previous airline adventures. Definitely not in the class of Pelican or American cases but great bang for the buck and gets the job done.
. I never use them unless flying and prefer soft side cases for vehicle travel.
This Cabelas is my current fave soft side for longer rifles...will handle 24 inch barrel with Suppressors and bipod attached although I keep my bipod in the side pocket. Also has waterproof pocket for dope or stamp copies.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Xtreme-Long-Range-Rifle-Case/2338749.uts?slotId=1
Posted By: Deans

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/08/18 05:27 PM

I have two Pelicans that have made the trip to the range many times and hunting trips.

Also have one of these, that I have taken to the range and New Mexico(inside cab)

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Scop...+Pillarlock+Pro

Couple NC Star soft cases one double rifle the other single rifle with integral shooting mat.

Plus some inexpensive single hard cases that I have had for years
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 02:33 AM

I have two Pelicans, two Plano AW, and a couple of lesser cases. The Pelicans are definitely the best and built like tanks. The Planos are good cases and rugged, but not quite the same as the Pelicans. Either brand would be great for tossing in the back of the truck. I'd really like if they had a soft foam insert to squeeze the guns like older cases rather than having to be cut foam. I may have to buy a few of the solid foam centers and cut a few of them for different guns.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 03:04 AM

I have a Pelican but it rarely gets used. For casual range trips or hunting trips I just use a drag bag or soft case and pay attention to how I'm handling. If I need to travel with a rifle then the Pelican makes sense. The Pelicans are just too heavy and bulky otherwise.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 10:52 AM

Like everything else, we all have our own parameters for decision making. I will say that there are a lot of budget conscious people who buy Pelican cases. There are reasons for that.

It's all a matter of meeting your specific needs, and your own perception/tolerance of risk.

Marc
Posted By: Crews

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 11:31 AM

As many have said, Pelican is the gold standard, and probably should be the first investment you make. It can be a bit much for quick trips though, are are especially cumbersome of you're making a range trip and trying to tote all your stuff in one trip to the firing line.

I have a soft case from US Peacekeepers that I use for that. I've been very impressed for a <$70 case. It's got just enough storage without being over the top complicated, and very nice construction.

US Peacekeepers RAT case
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 01:37 PM

Cabelas currently have their Pelican double rifle cases on sale, just FWI...

Pelican Case

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 01:54 PM

ZK the case shown is a 1750. That is the best price I have saw on it for sure. Although they are calling it a double I think it would be tight for that use.

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 01:55 PM

I've been using this Condor Double rifle case in 50" for the past 3 years now and it's done everything I've needed it to. Looks like they don't carry the 50" anymore unfortunately.

I throw it in the bed of the truck (with a campershell) every time I'm taking the rifle anywhere and haven't had any issues at all. Good sturdy zippers, stout velcro, plenty of extra pockets and will fit 2 scoped rifles just fine. The removable pouches on the front are nice and big enough to hold all of my junk. Silencer in one pocket, big box of reloads, a couple of magazines. If you ever had to pack it anywhere, there's 2 shoulder straps like a backpack that can be pulled out of a side pouch, but I've yet to use it that way. I pulled them out and they seem sturdy though.

Condor 50" rifle case

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 01:56 PM

That's what I was thinking but wasn't up snuff on all of their different model numbers. I only knew about it because cabela's sent me an email about it a day or so back.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Lazyman
What case do y'all recommend for a rifle...Been looking at the Pelican 1750...Others to consider???Thanks

Ritc

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 02:38 PM

I really like the backpack option. That’s a whole different program for a different kind of hunting. It would be awesome on a mountain hunt. You could keep your hands free for navigating and bino use.

The Pelican is for leaving in the truck or on the 4 Wheeler. That’s the end of its game.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 03:12 PM

Pelican Storm for me. I have never used the hard case though. Always just use the bag that comes with it. These big cases are pretty stout and not needed unless flying IMO.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 10:24 PM

I use these for my ARs. Great case for the money. Note the length. Not long enough for bolt guns, but an easy fit for ARs if you break down the lower and upper. up
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/09/18 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Cabelas currently have their Pelican double rifle cases on sale, just FWI...

Pelican Case

Thanks for the heads up! I just bought one of the 1750s for my long range rig and one of the plano all weather for my SBR/thermal pig hunting rig. Academy price matched cabelas and took an additional 5% off.

Posted By: 9x19

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/10/18 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

I use these for my ARs. Great case for the money. Note the length. Not long enough for bolt guns, but an easy fit for ARs if you break down the lower and upper. up

The Plano case is available in both 36" and 42" lengths (Size can be changed by clicking) .
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/10/18 04:32 PM

I have one of the heavy duty Plano tacticals that I use for my custom 6.5

It has held up great and is on par with my Pelicans

http://www.planomolding.com/hunting/seri...l-long-gun-case
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/10/18 06:30 PM

I have an Rtic rifle case on its way to me now. I will let you know what I think about it when it arrives.
Posted By: _Lee

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/11/18 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: DStroud

I actually used the Above case when I went to Mexico recently and have used it on four previous airline adventures. Definitely not in the class of Pelican or American cases but great bang for the buck and gets the job done.
. I never use them unless flying and prefer soft side cases for vehicle travel.
This Cabelas is my current fave soft side for longer rifles...will handle 24 inch barrel with Suppressors and bipod attached although I keep my bipod in the side pocket. Also has waterproof pocket for dope or stamp copies.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Xtreme-Long-Range-Rifle-Case/2338749.uts?slotId=1

This is the case I have been looking at getting.

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/12/18 12:02 AM

Trying to find a compact, lightweight hardshell weight case for my 16" 308 bolt action, something with an interior length of 38-40" long max
Posted By: Deans

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/12/18 12:13 AM

ccoker these come in 42" may work for you

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/12/18 12:18 AM

yeah, see than one, want something smaller, both in terms of overall length and height
thanks though

edit: took some measurements, I am pretty sure I can get the rifle in the 36" case if I angle it a tad, will see about getting one

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/12/18 12:40 AM

Here is how much room is in the 36" case with a 8" SBR thermal, Aimpoint Pro, 4 20 round mags, and YHM 30 phantom.

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/12/18 12:45 AM

Just got done with my pelican too, need to clean the cuts up a little but it's a beast of a case that's for sure.

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/12/18 08:00 PM

Anyone use a Dry Armour Case from Kolpin?

Re: Best Rifle Case?? - 04/13/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
Anyone use a Dry Armour Case from Kolpin?

I saw them at an event, looked good
I think my brother got one.. will check
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum