Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone else periodically get that itch?

Posted By: Texas Dan

Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 12:48 PM

No, not the itch to buy a new gun, but the itch to head to the range to shoot one or more of the ones you already own. For me, I try to head to the range about once every month or two not only because it's just plain fun to shoot, but because I consider it a must to keep my skills sharp at hitting a target.

I will never be one to understand the ones who shoot just a few bullets right before the season opener to "check their zero." If you're going to invest in such an effective and useful tool, have year-round enjoyment using it. And if you don't enjoy shooting it because it kicks the crap out of your shoulder, why own it?
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 01:31 PM

I go to the pistol range about 3 times a month. Rifle range a couple times a year.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 02:00 PM

Yeah... two or three days a week.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 02:09 PM

I usually take more rifles to our place in the country than I shoot while I'm there but it's better to have and not want than...
I shoot every time we go and that's once a month or so. I was going to the range as well about once every month or 2 but my "current interest rifle" has been in pieces for a while. I can't wait to get it back. Pistols, my wife and I shoot once every few months, probably less than we should but they don't interest me that much. They are a defense tool.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 03:30 PM

I just walk outside. Brag I am.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 04:20 PM

Just got back from the range. It's nice on Sunday mornings. Shot 4 rifles, 2 pistols, a couple rounds of skeet, cold fried chicken lunch on the tailgate, home before noon.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 05:31 PM

I do. Enjoy shooting very much.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 05:35 PM

Checking zero is better than NOT checking zero and I would call that verification of the rifle. Shooting more often verifies the shooter. I think its most important quality is that it keeps muscle memory alive in terms of trigger control. Can't practice enough, IMO. I wish I could shoot every day, but it's just not possible for me.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 06:04 PM

have a big ole caliche pit just down the road from me and a pistol range in town, not out the back door but just as easy!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 08:32 PM

I may go to the pistol range a few times a year. Don’t like indoor ranges all that much

If I shoot my centerfire rifles 20 times in a calendar year 18 are taken at game.

Last week, grabbed my .270 thst I haven’t shot In a couple years, took it with me for the day. Had some free time so I snuck down to the creek, found a hog rooting at 80 yards, took a knee and drilled it in the lungs.

Honestly I spent so much time with them as a youth they are more or less an extension of my body, I don’t need to shoot them all the time to be effective at this stage.

If I’m going on a big hunt however, I will shoot them 3-6 times to Check zero
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Anyone else periodically get that itch? - 03/25/18 10:40 PM

Only time I go to the range is to sight in a rifle or confirm it’s sighted in. Shooting paper is boring shooting steel is ok but still not that fun, shooting hogs now that’s good fun and all the practice I need.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum