Texas Hunting Forum

Savage Axis XP 6.5 Creedmoor

Posted By: DH3

Savage Axis XP 6.5 Creedmoor - 03/03/18 10:28 PM

Bought the rifle, already equipped with a Weaver 3X9 scope and "bore sighted" for less than $300 at Carters Country.
My first (and only) "black rifle".
Bore sighting was WAY off (the paper) but was an EZ fix. Trigger pull was over 4 pounds and has a slight creep with no overtravel.
Shot a decent group but not benchrest target worthy. The last 3 shots were 9 ring at 11 o'clock, 10 ring at 11 o'clock and 10 ring at 12 o'clock.
All in all a good value and an "extra" to keep at the ranch when sons/grandsons forget to bring rifles or ammo...
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Savage Axis XP 6.5 Creedmoor - 03/03/18 11:04 PM

I would say it's ready to hunt. I got a 6.5 Creedmoor a couple of months ago and I really like it.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Savage Axis XP 6.5 Creedmoor - 03/04/18 04:23 PM

Good shooting for a cheap investment. Ive bemnthingking about buying the wife the Axis II with the accutrigger and putting a Boyd’s stock on it
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Savage Axis XP 6.5 Creedmoor - 03/04/18 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Good shooting for a cheap investment. Ive bemnthingking about buying the wife the Axis II with the accutrigger and putting a Boyd’s stock on it

She’d have a great rifle for occasional use or hunting. I can attest to the Boyd’s AT-One stock being an awesome value.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Savage Axis XP 6.5 Creedmoor - 03/04/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: BigPig

She’d have a great rifle for occasional use or hunting. I can attest to the Boyd’s AT-One stock being an awesome value.

That’s what I’m thinking. She LOVES her Weatherby Mark5 257wby, but I hate spending $90 and she doesn’t really care to shoot it enough. I think she would do good with a lighter recoiling gun that fit her and not me.
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: Savage Axis XP 6.5 Creedmoor - 03/04/18 06:01 PM

Last year I picked up a Savage Axis II stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor. The original plan was to have an inexpensive "beater" rifle to take with us while waterfowl hunting (typically see predators while we are out). This rifle will easily do 1/2 MOA with Hornady Precision Hunter ammo and a bipod. This low cost setup wound up being one my most accurate rifles as well as one of my favorites. I'd love to get a higher quality Creedmoor but it'd be hard to top.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum