Texas Hunting Forum

Should I buy a 9mm carbine?

Posted By: Mr. T.

Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 01:47 PM

I'm looking for something cheap that going to get dirty, dusty and muddy, to leave in the gun rack of my mule, so that if I come on a group of hogs, I could just pull it out and start shooting. I dont think it would drop them in their tracks but I do think they would run off and die. But I also don't want to waste my money. But I carry a 9mm glock and it would be nice to have something that uses the same cheap ammunition. So I am open for suggestions. $299 at Academy, Hi-Point Firearms 995TS Carbine 9mm Semiautomatic Rifle, https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/hi-poin...ldCatid=4820553
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 01:58 PM

I always say buy more guns.......but, it is a Hi-Point
Posted By: doc606

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 02:00 PM

I have the 45acp version that i keep on the golfcart for when im running around our place. Ugly as sin, and heavy. But goes bang when the trigger is pulled no matter what ammo i use. Including steel cased. Havent cleaned it in prbably 3 years. Lifetime warranty. No regrets for what i bought it for. Pretty accurate too out to about 50-75yds. Main thing i dont like about it is the stock makes a squishy sounding noise when shot due to a recoil reducing type plunger system in the butt stock. Their pistols on the otherhand- wouldnt take it if you gave to me.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 02:01 PM

I wouldn’t buy anything high point
Posted By: HOF

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 02:01 PM

I get the idea, but 9mm at 100 yards I'm not sure would even penetrate.
Posted By: Western

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 02:06 PM

Mr T, with your money, go grab a HK MP5 peep
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 02:08 PM

The keltec sub2000..

The semi-automatic Sub-2000™ is designed to be the most convenient 9mm or .40 caliber rifle available. It’s adjustable and foldable to 16.25 x 7 inches for easy storage and can accept most popular handgun magazines. Plus it can easily be disassembled for cleaning or inspection without tools. Ideal for backpacking trips and situations where space and convenience are paramount.

The SUB-2000 is available in the following variants:
Smith & Wesson M&P (9mm or .40cal)
Sig Sauer P226 (9mm or .40cal)
Beretta 92 & 96
Glock 17, 19, 22 & 23
Posted By: Chris42

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 02:09 PM

Lots of glock mag ARs out there. In the $500 ish range.

I really like mine, but it’s also an SBR too
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 02:43 PM

I have several high points.

The 9mm carbine is capable of putting rounds in a man sized target, off handed, at 100 yards.

I have owned them for around 12 or 13 years.

I lived close to the factory and picked them up for around $100. I wish I had a 45 ACP version.

There is a bonus, if you run out of ammo, they make great clubs.

Also,

If you ever want to play Planet of the Apes, you are prepared.

banana2
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 02:47 PM

no use for one here, range not long enough, not enough killing power.

But I would NEVER tell anybody not to get one if they wanted one!!! flag
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 02:54 PM

Sounds to me like you want an SKS.
Posted By: crash700

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 03:52 PM

Ruger makes a 9mm rifle that will take Glock magazines. I agree that you need something bigger for hogs, why not get an AR and that will create enough of a wound channel to kill them, though it may not be instant.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 04:24 PM

I carry my 870 in the polaris for day to day stuff, loaded with 9 pellet 00 buck and have slugs on the butt stock if I think I need them.

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus

I wish you could get an sks for $300 these days, but that would be a great option.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: syncerus

I wish you could get an sks for $300 these days, but that would be a great option.

I remember back in the day when you could get one for $89.....
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 05:12 PM

I have killed hogs (behind the ear) with my 8" 9mm AR shoting the 135g Hornady Critical duty, getting complete pass throughs on 100 lb hogs at 30 yards and DRT
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 06:25 PM

I wouldn't
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 06:30 PM

A friend of my sons has the Hi-Point carbine in .45 ACP, it is an ugly but reliable little gun.

I don't know what ranges you see pigs at, but the 9mm might be a little light for them.

For about the same price you can get a Savage 12FV from Cabela's in a more suitable caliber after their $100 rebate.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FV-VARMINT-RIFLE/1994604.uts?slotId=0

If you wait for them to go on sale they are usually $369 minus the $100 rebate for a net cost of $269. If you can get one for that price in .308 or 6.5 creedmore, then cut 9.5" off the 26" barrel you would have a very handy carbine with the power to get things done.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 06:50 PM

I bought the ruger 9mm carbine break down rifle for my truck with a aimpoint and 17 rd mags..should be getting it anyday
Posted By: ggarciatx

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 07:58 PM

i have one of the original Hi-Point carbines. Probably put close to a 1000 rounds thru it with no problems. I did have to buy a new magazine when one would not work.

It has fed 115, 124, and 147 FMJ and JHP with no problems.
I guess I got lucky.

Friends pick on me about it, but it will put the shots in a about a 5 inch circle at 50 yards easily.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 02/28/18 09:47 PM

I bought one in 1998. My dad still has it riding in a tractor. He shoots coyotes with it. It was worth the $150.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 01:09 AM

Not cheap and I wouldn't use it on hogs, more for 2 legged creatures.

A bit more than the hi-point but it is a ton of fun to shoot.

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Lol a bit more.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 04:01 AM

I can’t stand cheap guns.

That said, the reviews on that gun are all consistently pretty darn good - especially for the price.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Lol a bit more.

Worth it. That little rig is fun as hell to shoot. Very cool and I want one now bang
Posted By: gusick

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 05:18 AM

I don't believe in pistol caliber carbines. The only reason 9mm ammo exist is because it can be shot from a gun that can be carried on your belt. If you're not carrying it on your belt, then you don't need to be handicapped with ammo that weak.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 05:22 AM

Originally Posted By: gusick
I don't believe in pistol caliber carbines. The only reason 9mm ammo exist is because it can be shot from a gun that can be carried on your belt. If you're not carrying it on your belt, then you don't need to be handicapped with ammo that weak.

That is cool or whatever too confused2

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 05:28 AM

Yea, cus who wants to be able to shoot with cheap ammo. Seems dumb
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 06:31 AM

OO

Guess somebody doesn’t like to have fun.

And pretty sure there are thousands of dead people that would tell you it’s not weak, if they could talk of course.

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

OO

Guess somebody doesn’t like to have fun.

And pretty sure there are thousands of dead people that would tell you it’s not weak, if they could talk of course.

I was being sarcastic. He’s being silly.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 02:39 PM

On tactical entries I always felt very comfortable behind my HK MP5. I had no idea the 9mm was so weak. roflmao
Posted By: gusick

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 03:25 PM

It is weak compared to a rifle. Some rifle ammo is not much, if any more expensive either.

To each his own, but with all of the $500 AR15s on the market that also shoot cheap ammo, I don't see the appeal of a Hipoint 9mm.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 06:25 PM

For $100 more, I'd get a cheap used AR, OP. Still pretty cheap on ammo and a lot more power for hogs. You can get with with a 14.5" barrel that's pinned/welded and still be pretty compact.
Posted By: howl

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 08:17 PM

$300 seems awful high for what used to be a $150 gun. I'd go for a $400 AR instead.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 08:34 PM

The only pistol caliber carbines that I like are chambered in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 08:46 PM

I bought mine for a few reasons..

Mainly for fun frankly and I have a number of ARs already in varying caliber..
Especially shooting suppressed,they are a lot of fun..

I also have it for home defense and it is very easy for my wife to shoot than a pistol...
Like I said, I wanted to try it on a few hogs and with the extra velocity out of the 8" barrel it has proven very effective on pigs at shorter ranges.

I can put a lot of rounds in a tight group fast at close range with it and don't feel at all "undergunned"
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
The keltec sub2000..

The semi-automatic Sub-2000™ is designed to be the most convenient 9mm or .40 caliber rifle available. It’s adjustable and foldable to 16.25 x 7 inches for easy storage and can accept most popular handgun magazines. Plus it can easily be disassembled for cleaning or inspection without tools. Ideal for backpacking trips and situations where space and convenience are paramount.

Beretta 92 & 96
Glock 17, 19, 22 & 23

Got a Kel Tec and love it.

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/01/18 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan
The only pistol caliber carbines that I like are chambered in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt.

If they made a hipoint carbine in .357 I’d probably have one to go with my revolver and my Henry.
Posted By: biggerD

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/02/18 02:14 PM

Thanks A LOT Mr T the itch has come back but maybe for a 45acp this time
Posted By: jsteve

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/04/18 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: daniel1381
I bought the ruger 9mm carbine break down rifle for my truck with a aimpoint and 17 rd mags..should be getting it anyday

this ^^^
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/04/18 06:18 PM

Whatever happened to the Beretta CX4?
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/04/18 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: KingwoodCat
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
The keltec sub2000..

Beretta 92 & 96
Glock 17, 19, 22 & 23

Got a Kel Tec and love it.

I do too. They are pretty fun little rifles
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/07/18 09:18 PM

I had a CX4 for a few years. Fed any size 9mm I had. For grins, a couple of friends and myself would put out a box of clays at various ranges from about 40 yards out to 150. From 40 to about 75-80 yards, the peep site that came with it worked well. Past that distance and it took some Kentucky windage to hit targets. From just over 100 out to the long one's, you were very definitely holding over grin

Never had any problems with feeding and the hogs I shot with it were in the 20-50 yard range and most, if not all, were DRT. The few that did move off didn't go more than 10-15 yards.
Most of the longer shots didn't have any exit wounds but the majority dropped pretty quick.

Only took one coyote that was stupid enough to stand there and let me walk shots into him. IIRC, it took 3 to put one on fur.

Fun little rifle but don't miss it too much. It's the one caliber that I DON'T load for.
Posted By: Tye

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/07/18 09:44 PM

Suppressed 9mm SBR are just fun to shoot...
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 03/07/18 11:09 PM

Full disclosure, I'm a pistol caliber carbine junkie. I hardly ever shoot my other ARs since I've put mine together and got them running great. You absolutely should get one if you want it, and I'd recommend an AR9 that accepts Glock mags over the Hi-point. Palmetto State Armory has out of the box solutions for a very good price.

Some reasons why:

1. The ability to use the same mags and ammo as your handgun is great, and mostly the same parts as other ARs means that you have to buy fewer peripherals and less ammunition to stay stocked up for the firearms you have.

2. They are light-recoiling, especially with 147gr ammunition.

3. They perform very well suppressed like every other 9mm.

4. They have good ballistics for up-close hunting out of short barrels.

5. With the advent of pistol braces, you can have a super handy 4" or 5" barreled pistol with a usable brace on the back of it making it much easier to throw in the passenger seat of the mule, and much quicker to grab should you need it.

6. Spare parts are plentiful and aftermarket support is great.

7. Awesome capacity. Grab a Glock 33 rounder and you're g2g.

The Hi-point basically only ticks the box for "uses same ammo," and nothing else. It's not really even that much cheaper than a budget AR9 and you're much more likely to run into issues, especially with the magazines.

If the AR doesn't appeal to you, seriously consider the new Ruger PCC. It's got most of the same advantages, and also takes Glock mags.

Posted By: Greedy1

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 02:04 AM

I have an Extar ep9 and the ep45. And absolutely love them. They are essentially ar9 pistols with a silly low price, shot everything, and use glock mags
Posted By: jsteve

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 04:07 AM

There is a Ruger PC9 for sale in the classifieds now for a great price and is set up with Glock mags. I have one and love it. Put a TRS-25 red dot on mine and it's dead on at 50 yards. You will have higher velocities with the longer barrel and head shots on hogs will put them down.
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7389605/wts-ruger-pc9#Post7389605

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Greedy1
I have an Extar ep9 and the ep45. And absolutely love them. They are essentially ar9 pistols with a silly low price, shot everything, and use glock mags

Kind of digging the EP9, ecspecially at $419
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by Greedy1

Kind of digging the EP9, ecspecially at $419

Me too - that's low enough for me to want to try one out with good ammo.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 05:00 PM

This has my interest in 9mm carbines going again, I put together an AR9 a while back but had issues with the aftermarket mag not fully seating and getting a ftf unless I pushed and held it up in place. Picked up some Glock mags but haven't tried them yet.
After reading this I pulled out my 9mm Uzi carbine project to see what I need to finish it, looks like I just need an ejector and pin.......ordered them and should be here soon.
I have heard a lot of praise for the HiPoint carbine reliability and my son has the Beretta and it is reliable and fun to shoot. Haven't hunted with either so I am no help there but there is always a need for another gun!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 08:11 PM

You’ll be much happier with a cheap ar in .223. Ammo is still cheap and you’ll have a lot more range and killing power

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
You’ll be much happier with a cheap ar in .223. Ammo is still cheap and you’ll have a lot more range and killing power

Give it up already. He wants a 9mm carbine, let him buy what he wants and stop filling this thread with your opinion that doesn’t pertain to a 9mm carbine.

Maybe he just wants something in addition to a 223. Hell I have a 22, 223, 6.5 Grendel, and a pair of 308 AR’s and I just want a 9mm for fun

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 11:00 PM

Do it!!! They're a lot of fun. This is my dedicated bedside gun now.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 11:07 PM

Anybody else realize that this thread is 9 months old, wonder if the op got him a 9mm carbine or not. They aren't my bag, but if you like them by all means get one

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by RJH1
Anybody else realize that this thread is 9 months old, wonder if the op got him a 9mm carbine or not. They aren't my bag, but if you like them by all means get one

Yes, i posted on the first page 9 months ago up lol
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by RJH1

Yes, i posted on the first page 9 months ago up lol

Do you know if the OP got him a PCC and which one? Inquiring minds and all that haha

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/30/18 11:14 PM

Not a clue he never responded to his own post. I'm just posting for anyone else that might be looking at one.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/31/18 01:27 AM

Simple answer, id thinking about buying a gun just do it
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/31/18 01:43 AM

I picked up a used Ruger PC40 and put a 1-4x Leupold Hog-Plex on it a while back. With cheap FMJ it is plenty accurate at 50 yards. I’ve carried it twice this season, hoping to get in a passel of pigs. Maybe next time....
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/31/18 08:54 AM

[Linked Image]

Is that Scorpion considered a pistol? Can't tell if that's a rifle stock. I've really been wanting a 10mm Kriss Vector pistol or SBR.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/31/18 01:59 PM

[Linked Image]

No doubt.

I have had HP carbines in 9mm, 40 and 45 ACP. Not one experienced FTF at anytime. Not one. American made and a lifetime warranty. They aren't bad little carbines. For advice from people who actually know what they are talking about, go to an HP forum.

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/31/18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Toxarch
[Linked Image]

Is that Scorpion considered a pistol? Can't tell if that's a rifle stock. I've really been wanting a 10mm Kriss Vector pistol or SBR.

Yes it is a folding pistol brace.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Should I buy a 9mm carbine? - 12/31/18 05:14 PM

I had a Beretta Storm in 9mm for a while and it was a total POS with a 12 lb. trigger.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum