Texas Hunting Forum

School me on AR15 pistols

Posted By: IBHUFFY1

School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 12:21 AM

I have the desire to purchase an AR 15 pistol. Give me the pro's and con's of one, the ones to absolutely stay away from, and the desirable ones to have.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 12:25 AM

They are completely useless and pointless unless you just want something that goes bang
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
They are completely useless and pointless unless you just want something that goes bang

That’s pretty much it.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 01:01 AM

Almost every time I list something for sale, they are generally the first thing I'm offered and the last thing I'm interested in.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 01:25 AM

What is your intended use for it?
Posted By: T Bone

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 01:45 AM

And LOUD, don't forget LOUD.. unless suppressed obviously..
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 03:03 AM

An Ar pistol is like the 300 BO.

Just doesnt do much.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
What is your intended use for it?

Agreed!! It helps to narrow the subject with these folks. They can RUN with anything on their own. popcorn
Posted By: swmays

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 04:12 PM

An AR pistol can be a good intermediate step while waiting on your form1 SBR approval. 2cents
Posted By: howl

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 08:02 PM

There are a lot of variables. Sorting through the options can involve splitting hairs not everyone cares about. It is hard to speak to all the facets of the subject.

Generally speaking shorter barrels are less reliable, so you'll want better quality componenets. Once you go below 11.5" you have to be concerned you're getting something tuned up right. The cost for assembling a decent 11.5" pistol AR is going to be more than twice as much as an economical carbine.

Smaller calibers in shorter barrels lose power more quickly than larger calibers. This is one reason why .300 BO pistols are popular.

The real reason AR pistols are popular, at least according to me, is you can build a pistol that offers the same capability as a SBR without paying the tax stamp or going through the process. The attraction for the SBR might be use inside a house or vehicle or because you want something short with a long silencer on it.

I think people not limited by budget should skip the AR pistol and look at bullpups.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: howl
There are a lot of variables. Sorting through the options can involve splitting hairs not everyone cares about. It is hard to speak to all the facets of the subject.

Generally speaking shorter barrels are less reliable, so you'll want better quality componenets. Once you go below 11.5" you have to be concerned you're getting something tuned up right. The cost for assembling a decent 11.5" pistol AR is going to be more than twice as much as an economical carbine.

Smaller calibers in shorter barrels lose power more quickly than larger calibers. This is one reason why .300 BO pistols are popular.

The real reason AR pistols are popular, at least according to me, is you can build a pistol that offers the same capability as a SBR without paying the tax stamp or going through the process. The attraction for the SBR might be use inside a house or vehicle or because you want something short with a long silencer on it.

I think people not limited by budget should skip the AR pistol and look at bullpups.
You can properly shoulder and aim an SBR you can’t do either of those with an AR pistol. So no they don’t have the same capabilities.
Posted By: huck18

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 08:28 PM

You can properly shoulder and aim an SBR you can’t do either of those with an AR pistol. So no they don’t have the same capabilities.

I believe it is now legal to shoulder a pistol brace like a sig or kak pistol stock.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: huck18

I believe it is now legal to shoulder a pistol brace like a sig or kak pistol stock.

Correct
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 10:29 PM

Was LOUD mentioned !
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/24/18 11:51 PM

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but they are extremely LOUD.
Posted By: fgdn

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/25/18 01:52 AM

notice how many seem to be for sale?

have never seen the use personally

to each his own

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/25/18 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: huck18

Sort of. If you put a brace on it with the intent to shoulder, it’s illegal. If you put the brace on with intent to use it as a brace, it’s legal. What you do with it after it is assembled doesn’t matter. That’s splitting hairs, and would likely only be trouble if you went on record online sayin, I bought a new pistol brace to make it more comfortable to shoulder.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/25/18 02:38 AM

I think I want two for the trucks
Posted By: howl

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/25/18 03:02 PM

Yep, loud. I wear plugs and muffs at the same time for everything louder than 12ga. If you're gonna do a short barrel AR for defensive purposes, you should probably plan on a suppressor or at least hand some electronic muffs off the gun.

I wouldn't be surprised if firing an AR pistol inside a truck without muffs ruptures ear drums. Even with a carbine, I'd be sure the muzzle was out of the window.

My truck AR is a cheap carbine in 6.5 Grendel. It fits under the back seat just fine.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/25/18 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: swmays
An AR pistol can be a good intermediate step while waiting on your form1 SBR approval. 2cents

That's the reason I built mine. Just wanted to get the short barreled upper running well before spending the $200 tax stamp. Put a SIG brace on it.

Then I got the SBR approval, put the short barreled upper on the SBR and picked up another short barreled upper for the pistol in .300 BO. Now my SBR can be both a .223 and a .300. But now that I have the SBR I really don't use the pistol for anything except a place to store the spare upper.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/25/18 04:48 PM

After being around some with ear pro on I have decided I don't want one. It was that miserable and no fun to be around
Posted By: Vern1

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/26/18 02:36 PM

Yeah, they are loud but not a lot louder than a 16" barrel with same birdcage muzzle device.

My 7.5" 223 Wylde pistol is a favorite at the range during shooting sessions.
Everybody has to have a turn shooting at the gongs at 100 yards and it's pretty easy to hit them after a few shots using reddot sight and/or co-witnessed Magpul flipup sights.
It even has a 45 grip on it.

I carry it in the SxS while on the ranch and makes a handy truck gun.
When not in use, it stands on the crutch tip in the corner behind front door.

It's not my do-all, end-all gun, it's just another choice I have and enjoy shooting.

Posted By: ccoker

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/26/18 04:47 PM

This is an awesome "brace"
I replaced the blade with one on my 8" Wilson Combat AR9
I was seriously considering SBR'ng it.. no more and I can travel accross state lines with it

https://www.rainierarms.com/gear-head-works-tailhook-mod-2-black/

Posted By: thorn4570

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/26/18 06:14 PM

I didn’t think I needed one either till I got one and freakin love it. It’s in 300 blackout and a hog killer. I go and sit up on a spot in the thick stuff and when they come thru I unleash lead rain on them. Ha. Very accurate and fun to shoot. I don’t really understand the loud part though every gun I shoot is loud unless it is suppressed.

Real easy to carry when walking or riding in truck or wheeler. I love mine but sure didn’t think I would. I will always have one.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/26/18 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
An Ar pistol is like the 300 BO.

Just doesnt do much.

LoL.

AR pistols are barely different than SBR's. They work great if you want to avoid the NFA fee. I have one in 9mm with a Shockwave and it works great. I also have 5 SBR's so I have experience with both and they can both work just fine for hunting or plinking. I only shoot suppressed so the loud factor doesn't matter to me anymore.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 02/26/18 09:44 PM

yep

Re: School me on AR15 pistols - 03/01/18 03:49 AM

If you want one, this is a smokin deal!!

https://22mods4all.com/products/sa8-veno...blade-stock-kit

Should be able to pick up a bcg and lower for $100ish. Meaning you get a pistol for under $400 pretty easy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum