Texas Hunting Forum

is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun

Posted By: patrick123

is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 01:28 PM

ok my question to the group is this... i am seeking a good carry gun that can be worn for long periods. my current weapon is to big to do this and i have heard good things about the Shield. i know there are other options like the Glock 43 and such. so just looking for feedback from people who already have one or know more than i do. thanks
Posted By: janie

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 01:35 PM

What you heard is true. They are nice pistols at a price, that won't bust your piggy bank.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 02:31 PM

Great carry pistol.

Pretty much all of the striker fired guns are about the same. Find the one you like and practice.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 02:38 PM

Fantastic carry pistol - best combination of a carry/range gun made IMHO. I own the model with the thumb safety. Bought it after trying my FIL's and falling in love with it.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Fantastic carry pistol - best combination of a carry/range gun made IMHO. I own the model with the thumb safety. Bought it after trying my FIL's and falling in love with it.

Same here, I bought the two-tone with safety

If you think you want a Shield and aren't looking to save, look at the new 2.0 that has some nice enhancements over the original.

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 04:12 PM

what is the typical price difference btw the 1.0 and 2.0? i saw a model that was two toned i liekd for around $450 which seems to be consistent

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 04:13 PM

thanks everyone for your two cents as well
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: patrick123
what is the typical price difference btw the 1.0 and 2.0? i saw a model that was two toned i liekd for around $450 which seems to be consistent

I think the difference is about $100. I paid $318 for my 1.0 online and $20 to my FFL friend to receive and transfer it. At that time there was a $75 rebate so I'm in mine for ~$260. I looked at the Performance Center model which is ported and supposedly has a better trigger but side-by-side I couldn't tell enough difference between them to justify the price difference.
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 05:30 PM

Dad just bought one- Will let you know when we go to the range.

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 06:11 PM

I paid $240 for mine used locally. I think new they're about $100 over that. I have no idea about the gen 2 pricing.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 07:13 PM

I have the PC version....better trigger and sights than the regular version. I love it.....Shoots great, mild recoil.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 09:32 PM

My wife has one that used to be her EDC. It shoots well and has been reliable and accurate. She switched to a Kimber Micro .380 because it fits her holster purses better. The Shield is now the bedside pistol in a Hornady pistol safe.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 10:37 PM

I used to have a Shield 9mm and I had no complaints with it. I have, however, learned of an issue with some of them within the past few months. We had two officers buy Shield 9mm's and bring them to the range to qualify. Both of those guns were somehow shredding the bullet jacket and making their targets look like they were hit with bird shot. We tried different types of ammo with the same results. It felt like there was a small bur at the inside edge of the muzzle/bore and I assume that's what was causing the problem. One of the guys sent his to Smith and Wesson and they sent it back with a new barrel and no problems. I'm not sure what the other guy did. I'm confident it's probably a rare problem, but definitely not an internet problem (I saw it personally).
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/19/18 10:55 PM

The shield is my EDC. I had some problems with getting the gun to rack at first, but took it to the gun shop and they fixed it. Great gun to carry.
Posted By: booradley

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/20/18 04:57 AM

I like them.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/20/18 05:19 AM

Carried one for several years with a couple hundred rounds down range. Eventually traded it away for a pocket gun.
Posted By: Critterskinner

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/20/18 06:46 AM

I have one but I don't carry it. I carry his big brother a Shield in .45ACP.

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/20/18 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Carried one for several years with a couple hundred rounds down range. Eventually traded it away for a pocket gun.
I sold my XD to get the Shield, so now I have a Shield and a Kel Tec P-3AT and it's kind of the best of both worlds. If the Shield is too big, I carry the 3AT. If it isn't, then I take the extra firepower and better ergonomics with me.

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/20/18 01:20 PM

I sold my XD to get the Shield, so now I have a Shield and a Kel Tec P-3AT and it's kind of the best of both worlds. If the Shield is too big, I carry the 3AT. If it isn't, then I take the extra firepower and better ergonomics with me.

I’m lucky that I get to carry at work. I’m a catering manager and spend 10+ hours most days in a kitchen. I carried IWB with the shield for over a year, and it drove me crazy. Too much sweating, moving around at a fast pace, and getting in and out of vehicles. Switched to poket carry with an LCP and couldn’t be happier with it. Now I carry on 14-16 hour shifts and never even feel it.

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/20/18 06:28 PM

I’m lucky that I get to carry at work. I’m a catering manager and spend 10+ hours most days in a kitchen. I carried IWB with the shield for over a year, and it drove me crazy. Too much sweating, moving around at a fast pace, and getting in and out of vehicles. Switched to poket carry with an LCP and couldn’t be happier with it. Now I carry on 14-16 hour shifts and never even feel it.
up
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 02/21/18 12:48 AM

I really like the 9mm Shield. My wife liked it when I taught her to shoot and now it is hers so I bought another for me and have added a 3rd just because. Several hundred rounds through each with zero issues.

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 03/05/18 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
I used to have a Shield 9mm and I had no complaints with it. I have, however, learned of an issue with some of them within the past few months. We had two officers buy Shield 9mm's and bring them to the range to qualify. Both of those guns were somehow shredding the bullet jacket and making their targets look like they were hit with bird shot. We tried different types of ammo with the same results. It felt like there was a small bur at the inside edge of the muzzle/bore and I assume that's what was causing the problem. One of the guys sent his to Smith and Wesson and they sent it back with a new barrel and no problems. I'm not sure what the other guy did. I'm confident it's probably a rare problem, but definitely not an internet problem (I saw it personally).

*INTERESTING UPDATE*
I talked to the officer who got the new barrel last week, and I had part of it wrong. He didn't send the gun back, he bought a new aftermarket barrel which fixed the problem. He then sold that one and bought a new Shield with the thumb safety. You guessed it, the new one is doing the same thing, again with different types of ammo. I'm not sure what to make of it other than it's apparently a bigger issue than I thought.

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 03/05/18 12:28 AM

Me, my FIL, and my SIL all have Shields. None of them have had a hiccup of any kind. Fantastic guns.
Posted By: jlsbassman

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 03/05/18 12:56 AM

I have 2 of them. Will follow up when I've ran some more rounds thru them but so far they are nice. One has factory the other has a trigger upgrade.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 03/05/18 12:59 AM

I don’t care for that so called thumb safety. It’s too small to be able to use during a high stress situation. It’s hard enough to work during normal shooting. Look at the new Sig 365, or the 320 compact. I carry the 320Carry and P226 daily and often forget they are on my said. Good holsters and better belts will make them disappear.

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 03/05/18 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: jlsbassman
I have 2 of them. Will follow up when I've ran some more rounds thru them hut so far they are nice. One us factory the other has a trigger upgrade.

The ones I've seen with problems were that way from the first round so yours should be fine. I really liked mine, I just liked my Glock 43 better.
Posted By: Crews

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 03/05/18 03:24 PM

I have one, it's pretty decent for a pop gun in formal clothes when i can't hide a real gun.

If they would make one with a little bit longer grip and a 4" barrel, I'd be all over it!

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 03/05/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Crews
I have one, it's pretty decent for a pop gun in formal clothes when i can't hide a real gun.

If they would make one with a little bit longer grip and a 4" barrel, I'd be all over it!

I carried one for a while with an extended mag and a pierce mag extension. Made it feel great.
Posted By: Crews

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 03/05/18 11:34 PM

Yes the extra grip would be pretty easy to fix, but I sure wish the made one with a longer barrel. Nobody ever had any trouble hiding an extra inch of slide inside their britches.
Posted By: Dave-0

Re: is the M and P 9mm Shield a good gun - 03/07/18 11:59 PM

Carried a G23 for EDC for a year, always got in the way. Grab a Gun had a sale on the Shield 9 a few months back and I thought I'd try it. Pretty decent little gun. First time to the range and put it
through it's paces. Liked how nimble and light it felt and moved. Tried with and with out my glasses and shot better with out my glasses. I think with some better sights on the shield, it would be an
outstanding carry weapon. An extra inch on the barrel wouldn't hurt either. It's been my EDC ever since, hardly ever notice it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum