Texas Hunting Forum

What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you.

Posted By: Kthnx

What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 03:16 PM

Curious on what guns you want but would never spend money on.

Me personally.

First thought is a 50BMG cost too much and besides the fun factor have no use for it. But idk if I would keep it. Might have to sell it because of those reasons.

so I'm going to settle on a VZ 58. I think they're super cool but if in the market would most likely end up with an AK. Now if you gave me one... Pretty sure I'd hold on to it.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 03:30 PM

Definitely not something I’ve given much thought to, but unless I ended up falling in love with whatever it was, it’d probably be for sale.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 03:33 PM

Tikka. peep
Posted By: Cast

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 03:44 PM

A Sharps 50 cal.
Posted By: GLC

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
A Sharps 50 cal.

Me too but in a 45,70
Posted By: VAFish

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 04:06 PM

That's a tough question. Because without getting into some ridiculously priced custom gun, a .50 Cal. or a registered/transferable Full Auto I can buy about any gun I want (or can convince the wife I need)

So if there was something I wouldn't spend my money on, and it was given to me, I would probably sell it.

The more I think about it the exception to that would be some sort of rifle in a caliber suitable for hunting big game like a .375 H&H. I'm not going to go out and buy one, but if you gave me one I'd probably keep it in the safe thinking I may someday get a chance to go to Africa or Alaska.

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
A Sharps 50 cal.

This one is a borderline with me. I've looked at buying one a couple of times but haven't yet justified the cost.

Originally Posted By: VAFish
That's a tough question. Because without getting into some ridiculously priced custom gun, a .50 Cal. or a registered/transferable Full Auto I can buy about any gun I want (or can convince the wife I need)

So if there was something I wouldn't spend my money on, and it was given to me, I would probably sell it.

The more I think about it the exception to that would be some sort of rifle in a caliber suitable for hunting big game like a .375 H&H. I'm not going to go out and buy one, but if you gave me one I'd probably keep it in the safe thinking I may someday get a chance to go to Africa or Alaska.

That's why I thought it would be a fun question. Requires a little but a thought and I was interested what interests people but they can't justify for one reason or another.
Posted By: janie

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 04:23 PM

Probably any of the Winchester commemorative rifles.
Posted By: aggiegolfer09

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 06:01 PM

I know must of you are right handed. So if given some left handed bolt guns from your dad would you keep or sale/ trade for a right handed bolt gun you would actually use?

My dad gave me his right handed guns but I am a lefty. Now that I have a couple lefty bolt guns I don’t think I would ever take my dads old guns hunting even though both are calibers I don’t have in lefty.

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 06:30 PM

That's interesting thought. I'd probably keep my dad's guns just because. My brother in law just got his first lefty rifle and growing up always used righty just because it's what he could borrow.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 07:14 PM

M1 Garand.
Posted By: Earl

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 07:19 PM

Colt Python Snubbie. I will never pay $3-4k for one but I sure would love to have one.
Posted By: Wader

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 08:30 PM

I really don't care to sell guns unless they are just unserviceable turds with no sentiment at all. I will gladly take any gift guns, especially ones that are way outside my budget.

I do have a gun or two that fits with the OP question, but the direction from all the other posts is about 180 degrees off. I was given a Remington 710 as a gift and while it is about the last rifle I ever would purchase or recommend anyone to purchase, it has been a really good rifle for me over the years. I used to take it into the swamps where it was dunked a few times, it has crawled through briars and brambles a plenty, ridden miles and miles on an ATV without a scabbard, and dropped more than any gun should be. So it has been very thoroughly abused, but it has quite literally put tons of meat in the freezer. I also never feel bad about loaning it out. One day it will crap out, til then.. Bang!

-ww
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 08:46 PM

One of the new Mauser 98's or a Rigby like Nogalus', either in 30-06.

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 09:21 PM

Wader that definitely ties into the heart of the question.

My first hunting rifle my dad bought me was the cheapest Marlin 3030 on the shelf when dad went to Walmart that day. Wouldn't get rid of it.
Posted By: snarkscarbine

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 09:22 PM

Most shotguns.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 09:25 PM

A LeMat revolver.

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 09:31 PM

Never even heard of a lamat revolver. I've always wanted some time of top break revolver.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 09:53 PM

M134
Posted By: Wader

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Kthnx
Wader that definitely ties into the heart of the question.

My first hunting rifle my dad bought me was the cheapest Marlin 3030 on the shelf when dad went to Walmart that day. Wouldn't get rid of it.

I hear ya!
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 10:33 PM

Browning Citori in 16 gauge
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/16/18 11:34 PM

Remington 700. Except for the M24 or M40
Posted By: 505ed

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 01:00 AM

Wildey handgun
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 01:22 AM

There are many guns I would not buy but any gun given to me stays with me.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 01:25 AM

There are lots of guns I'd like to have but never would justify buying but would keep most any gun given to me...
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan
M1 Garand.

Yup, me too.
Also:
Sako 85 in 6.5x55 (it would get some high end euro glass to match the rifle and caliber)
20 guage Browning Superposed
Posted By: Marc K

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 03:14 AM

I'm 64 and have never sold a gun. Each one has its own story to tell.
Any gun given to me would be a lifetime keeper.
Posted By: booradley

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 03:46 AM

Jim Corbett’s .275 Rigby.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 03:53 AM

Any Colt SAA
Posted By: bphillips

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 04:00 AM

Holland & Holland double rifle

Well really any gun made by H&H
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: booradley
Jim Corbett’s .275 Rigby.
WHY?!?!
Posted By: booradley

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 03:16 PM

Cuz I wouldn’t want to use it plus I couldn’t afford it. My grandfather was a college professor(actually a Dean) at A&M, and a rancher. His personal library had some fascinating books. My favorite by far was, “Maneaters of Kumaon”, by Corbett. I read it at least once a year from the age of 11 or 12 through high school.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
There are lots of guns I'd like to have but never would justify buying but would keep most any gun given to me...

^^^Me too^^^

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 05:11 PM

I guess the "given" put an unexpected twist on the question. Because I agree that a gun gifted to me holds a special value in itself. I guess I should have said won in a raffle.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 05:12 PM

1911 .45

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
1911 .45

*Gasp*
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 05:50 PM

A SAKO 100th Anniversary Rifle, with it's 3 dimensional hand carved holly leafed pattern stock, in 7Rmg comes to mind. To get a small idea what it looks like find a Weatherby Lazer Mark that is a one dimesional lazer cut pattern.

Other than that I'm sure I could find something in an early Holland double rifles, like the one I fondled at the Enid showroom of a customer, waiting for him to get off the phone. Built in the 1920's, the 375 H&H had a splinter forearm, horn trigger guard and horn shadow butt plate,and this gun was well used and a little beat up but still showed it's class in the way it handled and pointed. OBTW that 1987 price on the Old Gentleman was $37,500, and a new one at that time was 2 years from order date to delivery and priced beginning at $75,000. It's only money, unless you don't have any, any more, like where I am for Big Boy Toys these days.
Ron
Posted By: Retired Sgt. Gilliam

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 05:58 PM

Dpms lr-308. Reason is simple. I used my 243 bolt action. But now own the Dpms 308 from a debt my brother owed me. So now is my new hog gun
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/17/18 10:23 PM

Something like a 50 BMG would be in there. Would be fun to shoot but novelty might wear off quick. I'd definitely keep it if it were a Barrett 50. Something big like a 600 Nitro Express might be cool to have. No need for it and wouldn't buy it unless it was really cheap. KSG shotgun is something I wouldn't buy but would keep if given.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/18/18 05:05 AM

Early generation Colt single action
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/18/18 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
1911 .45

I thought every one owned a 1911!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/18/18 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
There are many guns I would not buy but any gun given to me stays with me.
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/18/18 01:28 PM

An African hunting caliber. Never had a desire for that kind of power in a rifle.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/19/18 07:19 PM

.338 Win mag........
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/20/18 11:42 AM

One of One Thousand 1873 winchester
Posted By: Skitini

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/20/18 08:57 PM

Gatling
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: What gun wouldn't you BUY but you would KEEP if given to you. - 02/20/18 09:55 PM

6.5 Grendel.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum