Texas Hunting Forum

More work with the Cheetah

Posted By: mikei

More work with the Cheetah - 02/15/18 09:58 PM

I've been really impressed with the basic SDS Cheetah so far. Its accuracy with slugs I've used is very good, especially since I'm using the stock, ghost ring sights that come with it. I found that I was having difficulty with rapid target acquisition, so I started exploring alternatives or after-market accessories I could buy to give myself a rail to mount some glass on. Couldn't find anything I liked, so decided to do a DIY project. (Drilling and tapping ain't exactly my cup of tea, but I couldn't figure out anyway to avoid it, so added a rail to the top cover) It came out fairly nice, I think. I can use a quick release red dot or the basic iron sights, depending upon the situation. Red dot for making the piggies' lives miserable; basic irons for home defense. To make sure the rail would stand up under the beating of 3 inch, high brass 12 gauge shells, I added JB Weld underneath the rail as well. Here's how my project turned out:

I'll update after I get some more range work in with this "evolving" rig.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: More work with the Cheetah - 02/15/18 10:24 PM

IF the rail works, and the red dot holds zero, why wouldn’t you use that for home defense?

Re: More work with the Cheetah - 02/15/18 11:44 PM

I just might, BigPig; but if the SHTF in the house, want to be able to come up and out banging away in the general direction of the disturbance and not have to worry about turning a sight on. Of course, I could do the same thing with the red dot in place!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: More work with the Cheetah - 02/16/18 01:49 AM

If you buy the right sight, such as the MRO or PRO, they have a 2 year battery life and are designed to be left on. The PRO on my patrol rifle stays on 24/7/365. I replace the battery at the beginning of every year.

They are designed to use both eyes opened, with a little practice its very easy to do. Once learned, you don’t even have to flip open the black lense cap. Keep both eyes open, dominant eye picks up the dot while non dominant eye picks up the target, and like magic the bullet hits the target.

Re: More work with the Cheetah - 02/16/18 01:57 AM

Thanks, BigPig, I'm going to do just exactly as you suggest! smile
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: More work with the Cheetah - 02/16/18 03:35 AM

That looks great. How did you make sure the rail was perfectly lined up?

Re: More work with the Cheetah - 02/16/18 12:45 PM

I used a laser bore sighting tool and a 48 inch ruler, with the top cover in place, and used a marker to draw the line. It may not be precisely aligned, but with a scatter gun it's not quite as critical, and I'm hoping that, for the slugs, it's close enough that there is enough adjustment in my red dot to cover any sloppiness. I'll let y'all know how close I came to getting it right!

Re: More work with the Cheetah - 02/18/18 01:46 AM

I slapped a red and green dot sight on it this afternoon and hope to test it tomorrow!

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: More work with the Cheetah - 02/18/18 02:56 AM

Sweet setup.....
Posted By: snake oil

Re: More work with the Cheetah - 02/18/18 02:11 PM

Nice..

Re: More work with the Cheetah - 02/19/18 07:30 PM

Got out this morning between rain squalls and ran 2 boxes through the new set-up: 25 high brass and 25 low brass. Did both rapid fire and slow fire and everything held together! I think I suffered more than any of the pieces of equipment! I got the green laser and the red and green dot sight co-witnessed, and after the 50 round barrage, everything was still on point of aim. All I need now are hogs, who seem to have vanished from my property! Both my stock tanks are dry and I've got nothing planted, so they've probably moved on to wetter, greener pastures. But I'll be ready for 'em when they return.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum