Texas Hunting Forum

Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past?

Posted By: Texas Dan

Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 03:04 PM

Anyone else getting a feeling that large magazines for centerfire semi's may soon become something you need a special permit to buy and own? Firearms capable of using them might be included.

Just saying.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 03:09 PM

Only if foolishness overcomes common sense.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 03:12 PM

Terrorists in France killed 84 people with just a truck . Are rental trucks soon to be a thing of the past? If you have evil intent, you will be able to find a way to express it.
Posted By: Lazyman

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
If you have evil intent, you will be able to find a way to express it.

Agreed. They will find a way.
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 03:34 PM

Unless there is a way to curb high profile events like Vegas, the church shooting and Florida then slowly but surely I'm sure that is the end result.

I'm not advocating for gun control.

Stuff like this is a symptom of a sick society.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 03:58 PM

Not "soon" but some day.

Remember all the fuss about Slidefire stocks? Nobody cares anymore and its only been a few months.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 04:03 PM

Eventually, they will be a thing of the past. I don't see how not as long as stuff like this continues.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 04:04 PM

I guess we should ban spoons...since they make people fat.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 04:52 PM

This was voted down just a few years back. In this political climate, I doubt they will try again for a few more.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 05:16 PM

We banned cocaine and heroin that banning stuff really works.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308

Spoons didn’t make me fat, beer and hamburgers didthat

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

And yet I don't mind those things are illegal

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Kthnx

and yet they are both very abundant and easy for addicts to get even though they are banned and illegal

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 06:09 PM

and yet they are both very abundant and easy for addicts to get even though they are banned and illegal

Would you prefer them to be legal?

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 06:14 PM

We're confusing legislation and enforcement.

That's like saying we shouldn't ban illegal immigration because it's so easy to do. We have enforcement problems in the drug war and in the immigration battle. I think we need legislative change regarding how and when people with mental illnesses are able to obtain firearms.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 06:17 PM

Would you prefer them to be legal?
nope but it’s not gonna make a difference one way or the other because they are available to anyone who wants them either way.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 06:28 PM

How bad do you think the addiction problem would be if we never banned them and had the war on drugs?

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

How bad do you think the addiction problem would be if we never banned them and had the war on drugs?
prob about the same

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 06:30 PM

prob about the same
You think enforcement has had zero effect on the drug problem in this country? I agree that enforcement isn't where it needs to be, but to say that it's had zero effect is a strong statement.

Either way, you're still addressing an enforcement problem when the issue at hand is a legislative question.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07

prob about the same
You think enforcement has had zero effect on the drug problem in this country? I agree that enforcement isn't where it needs to be, but to say that it's had zero effect is a strong statement.

Either way, you're still addressing an enforcement problem when the issue at hand is a legislative question.
and when 30 rd mags are banned but people still have them or can easily get them it will also be an enforcement problem

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 09:08 PM

If we use alcohol addiction before and after Prohibition as a model, we would expect addiction to rise somewhat, but the harmful effects of addiction to diminish considerably. In the end, my preference is that the guilty should be the ones who suffer for their failings rather than the innocent.
Posted By: Charlieb68

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 09:54 PM

Syncerus very precise and accurate, I like the thought you put into this stance.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 09:58 PM

and when 30 rd mags are banned but people still have them or can easily get them it will also be an enforcement problem
Would this 19 year old kid have had access to them if they had been banned 5 years ago?
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 10:45 PM

I'm not willing to trade my rights for someone else's false sense of security.

This wasn't a magazine problem and it wasn't a gun problem.

This was a mental health problem. It was made possible by the "Gun Free Zone" problem.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 11:05 PM

Countries in Europe that have been much more successful in dealing with drug addiction have pretty much decriminalized drug use or made the penalties much less severe. I don’t know whether cocaine and heroin should be legal but I think it would be wise to look at the models of other countries that have been more successful in dealing with the issue than our country has.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/15/18 11:16 PM

Quote:
Would this 19 year old kid have had access to them if they had been banned 5 years ago?

Yes, remember they have already been banned before and were still available during the ban....
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 12:11 AM

Changing magazines after 10 rounds instead of 30 would not have prevented this. They make 100 round Mags, and this guy didn’t use them.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 12:57 AM

are there addicts now that weren’t addicts 5 yrs ago?
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 01:24 AM

I can't think of a single new gun law needed.

Not one
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 01:41 AM

I don't even use 30-round mags but I have about 40 of them in unopened packages in my gun closet. I keep my stuff locked up, but if someone broke into my house and stole them, there would be 40, 30-round AR15 magazines in the wrong hands. Maybe if we make crime illegal, no one will steal our magazines or use guns to commit murder. I say we need to ban all crime.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: glocker17
Quote:

Yes, remember they have already been banned before and were still available during the ban....
Once again, you’re using incompetent enforcement to justify policy. Not really reasonable IMHO.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 03:22 AM

There are plenty of laws we need to pass to stop this crap and how the libtards dont see it I have no idea. More law enforcement at schools. More teachers carrying concealed at schools. Ban the gun free zone laws. Lets go after the problem "security enforcement"

They can ban 30 round magazines for all I care because I dont use them and even if they do ban them I will be able to get one.

I have no idea how someone can think the war on drugs is working. It is a dismal failure. Look at all the lives ruined and kids locked up for a bag of weed. How many people are in jail or detention right now for smoking an unprocessed natural plant. This war on drugs is the greatest failure this country has ever had. Drug production and infiltration in to this country has probably gone up 50 fold since the war on drugs began so to say that is helping is not a true statement at all. It has done nothing but load up our prisons, create more crime, more drug dealers and more drug users. How is this working in any way? Herion cocaine etc is bad stuff but by making it illegal it creates a black market and increased crime. Isnt that hugely evident?

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
There are plenty of laws we need to pass to stop this crap and how the libtards dont see it I have no idea. More law enforcement at schools. More teachers carrying concealed at schools. Ban the gun free zone laws. Lets go after the problem "security enforcement"

Absolutely. School security in this country is an absolute JOKE. I make deliveries to schools on a regular basis. Sometimes I forget to leave my pistol in the car. It’s ridiculously easy to get a gun into a school. Like requires zero planning. Just walk in the door.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 01:47 PM

Quote:
Once again, you’re using incompetent enforcement to justify policy. Not really reasonable IMHO.

Un no, I am using math. Millions produced, it would take many generations for them all the wear out. It was demonstrated clearly during the AWB. Enforcement would only effect those who continued to produce them, and some did....

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 02:05 PM

If someone really wants to get in your house when you're not there, they will find a way.

Does that mean there's no use locking your doors?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
If someone really wants to get in your house when you're not there, they will find a way.

Yeah...it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, knowing that I really “did something” to protect my stuff.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Yeah...it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, knowing that I really “did something” to protect my stuff.

You lock your doors not because it makes you feel "warm and fuzzy" that it will keep them out, but because you don't want to make it easy for someone to steal everything you own.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 03:27 PM

You lock your doors not because it makes you feel "warm and fuzzy" that it will keep them out, but because you don't want to make it easy for someone to steal everything you own.

So let’s ban all guns, ammunition, and sharp objects so it’ll be harder to kill others.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Terrorists in France killed 84 people with just a truck . Are rental trucks soon to be a thing of the past? If you have evil intent, you will be able to find a way to express it.

They did bring it up after the NY attack....do not underestimate their stupid fear mongering tactics for votes and legislation.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 03:35 PM

So let’s ban all guns, ammunition, and sharp objects so it’ll be harder to kill others.

Not at all. But that doesn't mean I don't see the logic in making it much harder to buy something that can be carried in an Uber and used to kill 17 kids in less than three minutes.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 03:47 PM

There is a bunch of arguing legislative vs enforcement, and solutions with no way to make those happen (i.e. more law enforcement in schools)...

there is apratical side to all this, and it isn't as easy as you all are making it. there is no fight between legislative and enforcement issues. They are one in the same, if one works but the other doesn't then they are both broken. If we create enforcement but have no legislative then they are hands tied and broken. If we create both legislative and enforcement policies but don't have money for it, then it is a useless situation. We need to look at the reality of this all and realize what is really at hand.

This is a mental health issue. Pure and simple. This kid was bent on killing, and he was going to do it regardless of modality. The gun is like the drunk drivers car, just a sideline tool used by the criminal. In a herded group of people (what we find in schools and gun free zones across this country) it would be super easy to gun down as many people using a 5 round magazine as it would be using a 30. The magazine isn't the problem. Its the person pulling the trigger. There were multiple failings here, from FBI, local law enforcement, to an UBER driver taking him tot he school and watching him pull out a gun case which contained the AR. He was also a member of a white militia which he did paramilitary training with, so someone in that group should have ID'd this guy as a crazy (maybe that would be the pot calling the kettle black??). But bottom line is he snapped and went psychotic. Evil exists in this fallen world and until we can solve that (guess what, we won't, but someone will eventually) then things like this will continue to happen with guns, knives, cars, bombs, etc...

The magazine is not the problem.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 06:10 PM

A little late in the conversation, but it should be well noted that this is yet another case of the shooter being on SSRI drugs. The percentage of these shooters on SSRi drugs is absolutely shocking, but you don't hear it mentioned very often by the mass media.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 06:26 PM

Just to specifically answer the post, I'd gladly go down to a 10 round mag limit maybe even 5, if it really did change things, but that's not the problem as has been stated.

I think the drug thing is a red herring, part of it maybe, but not "it".

It's not one thing, it's an unfortunate culmination of many factors, which we likely won't ever figure out until we get to something like Pre-Crime like in the movie "Minority Report" and even that was flawed.

I don't know what we do when someone advertises "I'm a school shooter", but hasn't done anything. If you say that do you then get locked up forever, just to make sure? Stay detained for some time, get a lobotomy, cut your trigger fingers off, I don't know. It's a societal problem, not so much a legal one, but something does need change, maybe some kind of legal change is a start.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 06:54 PM

Quote:

Un no, I am using math. Millions produced, it would take many generations for them all the wear out. It was demonstrated clearly during the AWB. Enforcement would only effect those who continued to produce them, and some did....
You're not making a distinction between "readily available" and "completely eliminated".

This is a 19 year old kid. If it was illegal to sell them privately or publicly and that law was enforced appropriately, he wouldn't have had easy enough access to obtain them.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 06:57 PM

Quote:

You're not making a distinction between "readily available" and "completely eliminated".

This is a 19 year old kid. If it was illegal to sell them privately or publicly and that law was enforced appropriately, he wouldn't have had easy enough access to obtain them.
that’s just not true.fellons buy guns all the time they just use other channels that aren’t legal. The cartel is just waiting for the gun ban so they can switch from drugs to guns and there will be no lack of either.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 07:03 PM

How often are actual full autos used in crimes?

(Not what the media calls full auto but actual machine guns)

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 08:01 PM

I believe there has been 1 confirmed crime using a full auto in the last 30 years.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

I believe there has been 1 confirmed crime using a full auto in the last 30 years.

Right. Because criminals take the path of least resistance. The Las Vegas shooter could have most likely bought a full auto, He had money and could have afforded it. He could pass background checks and could have gotten a suppressor. Instead he bought AR-15s off a shelf bought a bump stock because it was easy.

So to think that there would be a huge market for 30 round mags if they were ban and drug cartels would be smuggling them in is a bit of stretch.

Also I don't think 30 round mags should be ban. Just wanted to point out that banning them would most likely effect how often they are used in crime. Him using 10 round mags instead of 30 rounds possibly could have made him focus harder on making each round count instead of firing aimlessly cause he had lots of rounds that he could throw out.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 10:01 PM

It was the mass killings between members of the mob in the 30's that led to laws requiring a special permit to own them. And although I've never tried, I would bet it's not easy to get one.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/16/18 10:03 PM

It was the mass killings between members of the mob in the 30's that led to laws requiring a special permit to own them. And although I've never tried, I would bet it's not easy to get one.

To my point exactly. Do I want more gun control no- to think laws dont have an effect is crazy
Posted By: mley1

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/19/18 05:42 AM

Anytime something is banned, no matter what it is, a black market develops. The cost of the banned item goes up. Manufacturers will still produce the banned product. People who decide to sell such product on the black market profit heavily. Those who still want the product will pay whatever the going price is. And, law enforcement will catch those whom get sloppy enough to be caught. And, our prisons will fill with guys who bought or sold the banned item.

35yrs working for TDCJ, and LEO have taught me that.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/19/18 10:57 AM

Hey Hey My fork has as much to do with my fatness as the lonely old spoon. food
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/19/18 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Where??
Posted By: machine73

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/19/18 11:14 AM

The Order used an illegally modified subgun to murder Alan Berg, but that was slightly more than 30 years ago.
Posted By: machine73

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/19/18 11:18 AM

In 88, a Dayton cop murdered an informant with his legally owned full auto.
Posted By: one73maro

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/19/18 02:15 PM

In the North Hollywood shootout those guys had illegally converted automatic weapons!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/19/18 02:32 PM

To answer the OP's question, Yes and AR style rifles/pistols will follow

I'm scared THEY will win this one, its catching fire with the young #meto type movement. They don't understand you don't wave a wand and have no guns.

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/19/18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: machine73
In 88, a Dayton cop murdered an informant with his legally owned full auto.

That was the one I was thinking of.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Are large magazines soon to be a thing of the past? - 02/19/18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Spoons didn’t make me fat, beer and hamburgers didthat

Hope they don't ban beer and hamburgers....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum