Texas Hunting Forum

Don't look for this one on the shelf

Posted By: Texas Dan

Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/10/18 05:21 PM

Special order only. A true heirloom piece.

Hopefully they'll set out before I give in to the urge.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winchester-150th-anniversary-model-70-270-win-bolt-action-rifle
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/10/18 06:16 PM

$2k? That's insane...
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/10/18 06:39 PM

On the shelf for you Dan
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/...048702006616.do

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/10/18 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03

I wonder if Academy would price match it?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/10/18 07:55 PM

Man, that’s pretty.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/10/18 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
$2k? That's insane...

It’s not a Savage Axis, you know.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/10/18 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winchester-150th-anniversary-model-70-270-win-bolt-action-rifle

That's purdy, buy that and in 15 years it will be worth a lot more if you don't shoot it......
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/10/18 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Man, that’s pretty.
$2k? That's insane...

Be kool to have one....

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/10/18 09:19 PM

I’d love to have one, but I have one safe queen that my wife bought me to ease the pain of turning 30. I really don’t need two. Although, turning 40 could be pretty rough.
Posted By: pmspinnerb8

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/11/18 03:02 AM

2k will buy you a really nice pre64 in almost any caliber you wanted. Although it wouldn't be am heirloom cause it would go in the casket with me...lol
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/11/18 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: pmspinnerb8
2k will buy you a really nice pre64 in almost any caliber you wanted. Although it wouldn't be am heirloom cause it would go in the casket with me...lol

I agree. IMO the 2K put in a nice pre-64 would be a much better investment. Probably a better rifle too. But I am biased in favor of the vintage stuff.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/11/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil

That's purdy, buy that and in 15 years it will be worth a lot more if you don't shoot it......

In 15 years it might be worth what you pay. To many of these special make ups out there. They rarely increase in value.
Posted By: crash700

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/11/18 10:08 PM

Thats a bit outrageous in regard to pricing in my opinion. Im sure its a nice rifle, but it needs to be hand fitted and smooth a silk to ask that amount. Anyone who gets one, enjoy. Its out of my price range.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/11/18 10:24 PM

Made in Japan?
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/11/18 11:05 PM

I like it. Something to be said for blue steel and walnut. Thank goodness they are not offering a lefty, cause if I bought it I would use it.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: crash700
Thats a bit outrageous in regard to pricing in my opinion. Im sure its a nice rifle, but it needs to be hand fitted and smooth a silk to ask that amount. Anyone who gets one, enjoy. Its out of my price range.

I don’t think it’s out of line, from what I can see. Money spent on a rifle can go towards more than just group size or any other function. They aren’t just tools to everyone. I’m not spending that kind of money on it, either, for reasons aforementioned, but I can easily see why someone would. If that’s what trips a person’s trigger, so to speak, then it’s money well spent. Their heirs will thank them for such a fine heirloom, anyway.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: JCO
Made in Japan?

I suspect it's made where other Model 70's are now assembled - Portugul.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 03:25 AM

$2k? That's insane...

Probably doesn't shoot any better than one...

It's not like it's commemorating some famous military rifle. It's just a hunting gun. It's not much different than if Remington made a fancy wood-stocked 700 and then charged $2k for it. Pretty nuts IMHO.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 08:40 AM

Then it’s not for you. Some people know how to appreciate things like this.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 02:12 PM

Its a beautiful gun, but its not for me either. If they were giving one away i'd take it but I aint buing one.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 02:36 PM

Then it’s not for you. Some people know how to appreciate things like this.
I agree. I'm not sure I've ever seen a $2k rifle that I wouldn't rather have than this one.

This rifle would be fine at $750. I can appreciate quality and commemorating a company's history. But asking $2k for fanboys to celebrate the history of a company is a little crazy to me. To each their own - my original post was just making the point that the price seems more than a little crazy for a non-military piece that's purely celebrating a milestone for a private company.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 03:47 PM

Is it controlled round feed like a pre-64?

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Is it controlled round feed like a pre-64?

It has the pre-64 action and large claw extractor.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 08:57 PM

Why on earth would anyone buy a gun just to put it in a safe and never plan to use it?
Posted By: chalet

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 09:34 PM

Little pricey, bet if you wait around they will come down on price. I have one of the Cabela's Exclusive Model 70 Super Grades. Rifle is nice, wood to metal fit good but not perfect. Would not have paid retail ($1700 I think) for it but they clearanced them out after Christmas couple years ago.

I am a bit ashamed to say I mounted a scope about six months later, sighted it in and has been in the safe since. Not sure why. Guess I need to dig it back out.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 09:50 PM

I have a hard time seeing anything that is meant to be collectible as special. And I don’t particularly see it as an heirloom either. It’s special because they tell you it is, not because it actually is.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Why on earth would anyone buy a gun just to put it in a safe and never plan to use it?

Good question.

IMO, the guns a person leaves behind says a lot about the person's outdoor interests and may also reflect on their overall success in life. They demonstrate a person's ability to acquire items of quality and performance, along with their dedication to care for and maintain that which they own. I have rifles in my safe that I take the woods often, and one or two others that I have taken a single deer and may never remove from the safe again. They and the box they each came in will go to a family member who will hopefully take equal pride in owning them. And that may require passing them down when I can no longer use and care for them in the proper way.

Simply put, I want my guns to tell my kids I worked hard to buy the best I could afford and made sure I took good care of everything I owned.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/12/18 11:57 PM

Special is what you make it. That is a nice rifle and with or without some history it would make a nice one to pass down.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/13/18 12:57 AM

Why would anyone buy a painting just to hang it on the wall and look at it?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/13/18 01:03 AM

As an investment. I saw a shotgun at Cabela's Fort Worth a couple of years ago that had a price tag with $125,000 written on it. I'd wager that the guy who bought it paid a bit less than that, but expects it to be worth several thousand more than he paid for it somewhere down the road. I have no way of knowing, but I'll bet it's now in a safe or a vault somewhere now and probably never has had a shotshell in either of its chambers.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/13/18 01:10 AM

Some people don’t get it. That’s fine. Others do, and that is also fine. Variety is the spice of life. I thoroughly enjoy beautiful firearms. I don’t need any justification for their purchase or amount of use. Some day, my boys will squabble over what little I’ve left behind for them. If I have succeeded in their raising, they’ll have a similar mindset towards inheritance as I do, in that they only care about the guns. When a man takes a rifle afield and proudly proclaims it as his fathers, it should be a nice looking weapon, I think. I have a rifle to fit that bill, and now that I think about it, I had better acquire 3 more, at least. There’s no telling how many more stray kids my wife will drag into our home.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/13/18 01:18 AM

Some people don’t get it. That’s fine. Others do, and that is also fine. Variety is the spice of life. I thoroughly enjoy beautiful firearms. I don’t need any justification for their purchase or amount of use. Some day, my boys will squabble over what little I’ve left behind for them. If I have succeeded in their raising, they’ll have a similar mindset towards inheritance as I do, in that they only care about the guns. When a man takes a rifle afield and proudly proclaims it as his fathers, it should be a nice looking weapon, I think. I have a rifle to fit that bill, and now that I think about it, I had better acquire 3 more, at least. There’s no telling how many more stray kids my wife will drag into our home.

Yup. I grew up looking at rifles and shotguns in a gunrack. When I'm not hunting, I enjoy shooting them. If I'm not shooting, I can enjoy looking at them. To me there's a lot more to gun ownership than what it does when you pull the trigger. The whole experience, from smelling Hoppe's No.9 in my gun room to walking up and surveying a kill, is what I love about this hobby.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/13/18 02:42 AM

Classic.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/13/18 02:45 AM

IDK ive never purchased a painting.

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/13/18 02:48 AM

Good question.

IMO, the guns a person leaves behind says a lot about the person's outdoor interests and may also reflect on their overall success in life. They demonstrate a person's ability to acquire items of quality and performance, along with their dedication to care for and maintain that which they own. I have rifles in my safe that I take the woods often, and one or two others that I have taken a single deer and may never remove from the safe again. They and the box they each came in will go to a family member who will hopefully take equal pride in owning them. And that may require passing them down when I can no longer use and care for them in the proper way.

Simply put, I want my guns to tell my kids I worked hard to buy the best I could afford and made sure I took good care of everything I owned.

I want my son to look at my guns and say "Damn, dad got everything he could out of these tools."

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/13/18 02:53 AM

I want whoever ends up with my guns to say "damn, these are in fine shape considering he owned these for 140 years!"
Posted By: Mike Mathena

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/17/18 12:40 PM

It's a nice rifle but i don't think its worth 2k. I don't understand buying a rifle to keep in a safe, i have rifles that will be handed down..... with stories about the hunting trips they have been on and the animals "papaw" has taken with them.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Don't look for this one on the shelf - 02/17/18 08:35 PM

Rolex vs Timex
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum