Texas Hunting Forum

Those Distusting Leupold mounts...

Posted By: chital_shikari

Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/10/18 04:36 AM

...you know, the ones with the screws in em at the rear ring? The one that came loose on my rifle last year at the shoot? Yeah, those.

THEY. ARE. EVERYWHERE.
I’m in this Facebook group involving Weatherby Mark Vs because, well, I’m a fanboy and there’s are all these beautiful, expensive rifles topped with...you guessed it...Leupold scopes sitting in these disgusting scope mounts. Now I don’t have anything against Leupold—for the most part—but seeing such expensive kit held together by such cheap means is really annoying.

Well, it’s a free country so they can do what they want. It still bothers me though.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/10/18 04:42 AM

I see just as many $2000 rifle scope combos with $9 Leupold rifleman single screw rings too.

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/10/18 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I see just as many $2000 rifle scope combos with $9 Leupold rifleman single screw rings too.
crying

It's a free country!!! bang
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/10/18 01:29 PM

Yup. I had an exchange with a guy I've worked with for twelve years and have hunted with a on several occasions during that time...and like most folks who use them, he defends them. When I asked him if he'd use a system that "secured" both front AND rear rings in that fashion I could tell I'd gotten through to him, but he was still agitated.

People are funny critters.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/10/18 01:33 PM

Yeah I distust them too. All Burris Signature here.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/10/18 03:54 PM

Those bases were designed for a purpose, to provide a way to ensure the axis of the scope could be adjusted to be perfectly parallel to the axis of the bore. Otherwise, you're just assuming the mounting holes in the receiver were drilled in perfect alignment with the bore, and all the screws and holes in the scope base are perfect as well.

I've been using them for decades and never had a problem, as have many others.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/10/18 04:25 PM

popcorn
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/10/18 04:35 PM

if you worried as much about that 2 mile run as you do about other people’s scope rings you would be in West Point right now
Posted By: 21Brutus

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/10/18 08:47 PM

Wow...such a relevant post.

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/10/18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Those bases were designed for a purpose, to provide a way to ensure the axis of the scope could be adjusted to be perfectly parallel to the axis of the bore. Otherwise, you're just assuming the mounting holes in the receiver were drilled in perfect alignment with the bore, and all the screws and holes in the scope base are perfect as well.

I thought they were making scopes with internal adjustments these days. I musta heard wrong.
stir

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/11/18 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider

I thought they were making scopes with internal adjustments these days. I musta heard wrong.
stir

Here's a post from another website that explains what happens when the scope axis is not parallel to the rifle bore...

"I have a target rifle that I had drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Well they must have drilled them out of alignment. I can zero the scope at 50 yards and then shoot at 100 yards and it will be four inches to the left. So I mounted another scope and same thing. So I pulled the scope and placed a fluorescent light bulb down in the mounts and sure thing it was not straight with the barrel. So I purchased some wind adjustable mounts and got it as close as I can with my eyes but my question is how can I get it perfectly aligned with the bore. Thanks"

Granted, today's mass production techniques are very good no doubt. Still, there are many variables that come into play.

Here's the link to the thread for those interested in reading the response to the OP.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5393120

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/11/18 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
if you worried as much about that 2 mile run as you do about other people’s scope rings you would be in West Point right now
My PT score is increasing quite nicely, thanks very much.
The thing is, THF isn’t the Service Academy Forums website, so my APFT score has little to do with it.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/11/18 03:21 AM

Back to Sig rings. They can do that too by shimming the rear left or right and then locking down.

Just how much are those adjustable mounts worth? I’ve got a junk box...

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/11/18 06:00 AM

stir

Here's a post from another website that explains what happens when the scope axis is not parallel to the rifle bore...

"I have a target rifle that I had drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Well they must have drilled them out of alignment. I can zero the scope at 50 yards and then shoot at 100 yards and it will be four inches to the left. So I mounted another scope and same thing. So I pulled the scope and placed a fluorescent light bulb down in the mounts and sure thing it was not straight with the barrel. So I purchased some wind adjustable mounts and got it as close as I can with my eyes but my question is how can I get it perfectly aligned with the bore. Thanks"

Granted, today's mass production techniques are very good no doubt. Still, there are many variables that come into play.

Here's the link to the thread for those interested in reading the response to the OP.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5393120

For those that might have missed it, when the end portion of a long fluorescent tube is laid in the scope bases, it makes it much easier to see if the bases are out of alignment with the barrel. If they are, the longer the tube the more it will appear skewed to the barrel.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/11/18 06:04 AM

Like Dan, I've been using them for decades, with no problems.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/11/18 09:47 AM

Don't ask Chad about these......
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/11/18 03:00 PM

A cleaning rod will work like the bulb and usually is close at hand.

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/11/18 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
A cleaning rod will work like the bulb and usually is close at hand.

Good tip.

I have the same problem described earlier with my AR. I can zero it at 50 yards and the POI moves right several inches at 100 yards. The scope mount and rings are not adjustable so that I have to bend them slightly (the mount is the type with high risers) to get everything aligned with the bore. I don't shoot it very often and just haven't taken the time.

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/11/18 05:20 PM

There are times when windage-adjustable bases solve problems, but if they're not needed they are to be avoided IMO. Would YOU use a system that "secured" both front AND rear rings in that fashion? I'll take a stab at it and guess that you would not. My next question would be, 'then why would you want half of your mounting system compromised?
Posted By: postoak

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/12/18 05:03 AM

It isn't really rocket science to install these properly.

Larry Potterfield mounts a scope using Leupold bases and rings
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/12/18 04:03 PM

stir
roflmao

Re: Those Distusting Leupold mounts... - 02/12/18 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
It isn't really rocket science to install these properly.

Larry Potterfield mounts a scope using Leupold bases and rings
If so many people get it wrong, I would assume so.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum