Texas Hunting Forum

Need a gun case

Posted By: Dalep

Need a gun case - 01/26/18 01:56 PM

Finally breaking down and need to buy a case to fly with. Main gun I'll be flying with (3 times this year) is a Remington 700 stainless 30-06 with a vortex 6-18 scope. Not a small size package. Looking at purchasing a Pelican 1750. Only concern is it may not fit two rifles and may be extra large/heavy for no reason.

Any one have similar set up? Can I get away with smaller case? Big question, recommendations on where to buy for good prices? No local dealers to try them out here. I tried to get local shop to order and he said pelican wouldn't cut him any kind of deals when tried to order large amount and would be cheaper to order online without tax and all.

Thanks
Dale
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Need a gun case - 01/26/18 02:18 PM

That’s a great brand.
As for the size, might as well get the largest one. They’re about the same pain to mess with small or large, and the traveling hunter can always make use of the extra room. The wheels are a lifesaver no matter the size. You just use them like a dolly for all the rest of your gear.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Need a gun case - 01/26/18 02:42 PM

A buddy of mine is selling his new Pelican cases that he never used. One is a 1750 model. If you are interested, PM me, and I'll put you in contact.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

You can get a Plano all weather tactical (their version of pelican) on Amazon for less than $70. I got one for my AR. It will easily fit 2 bolt actions. It was the pluckable foam, but I used a knife to get a better shape cutout. I’d say it’s 80% as strong as a pelican which is still plenty strong for flying.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E2217I...&ref=plSrch
Posted By: Brandon S.

Re: Need a gun case - 01/26/18 03:02 PM

The 1750 Pelican is great. I have had one for years. It will fit 2 rifles but they are cozy.

Midway has them on sale. Shipping appears to be in the $25 range.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/630738/pelican-1750-scoped-rifle-case-with-wheels-53-polymer

Re: Need a gun case - 01/26/18 03:15 PM

I tried the plano at dicks and they seem fine but like you said, 80% of the quality. Id rather spend the $200 one time and be done. My 30-06 is my main gun so likely be only case I ever buy.

I'll check midway thanks!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Need a gun case - 01/26/18 03:29 PM

Pelican 1750 won't hold two of my rifles, with the vertical grip stocks, and large scope. Friend of mine bought a Pelican single rifle case, and it does still hold a rifle of the same type.

I would only fly with a Pelican rifle case, no two ways about it. $5k worth of rifle, base, rings and scope, what's $200 in insurance?
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Need a gun case - 01/26/18 04:16 PM

I've used the Americase 4 times now going to Africa. They are the manufacturer that also made the Cabelas bulletproof cases in the past. They are very well made and durable, and come wit foam that you do not have to pluck the foam out of. It melds around the rifle anyway. You can go to their website and sometimes you will find a return, blem, etc at a significantly reduced price. They are fantastic, and will hold two scoped rifles.

Re: Need a gun case - 01/26/18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
I've used the Americase 4 times now going to Africa. They are the manufacturer that also made the Cabelas bulletproof cases in the past. They are very well made and durable, and come wit foam that you do not have to pluck the foam out of. It melds around the rifle anyway. You can go to their website and sometimes you will find a return, blem, etc at a significantly reduced price. They are fantastic, and will hold two scoped rifles.

I still use my old Cabela's Bulletproof double rifle case too. Mine has the flip up shelf at the bottom which is super handy for using it as a dolly for your other gear. I'm actually amazed it hasn't gotten torn off yet by the baggage gorillas.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Need a gun case - 01/26/18 08:11 PM

Rtic has pelican type gun cases coming out real soon. Curious to see what they sell for.

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 12:06 PM

I don’t plan to be the first buyer wink
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 01:17 PM

The Pelican 1750 is tried and tried. I noticed there was allot more of those than anything else when checking guns in Africa.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 01:52 PM

You could possibly fit two rifles in soft cases inside a 1750 with the foam taken out.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 03:26 PM

Pelican is the only way to go if you are putting any firearm you value into the care of the airlines!! 2 scopes rifles, especially with turrets etc might be a bit tight but you can cut the foam to fit and even order extra foam for different firearm configurations.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 03:40 PM

so you can afford 3 flying trips and are worried about cost of gun case confused2

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 03:57 PM

Size is not that big a deal anyway. Especially in these days where you don’t have to collect your bags to go through customs in most places.

On my recent Yukon trip I doubt I rolled all my gear over 100 yards total. Back in 2006 it felt like it was 100 miles. Computers and remote video feeds are wonderful.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 05:39 PM

I have a Boyt H51 double long gun case (https://boytharness.com/product/h51-double-long-gun-case-2/). Compares to Pelican. Typically slightly less money. Used for air travel 2 or 3 times a year for 4 years now, no issues.

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 05:49 PM

I have the single rifle version of this case as well as the Plano. This one is built stronger. It’s honestly overkill.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/...41.uts?slotId=1
Posted By: Maxlab

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
I have a Boyt H51 double long gun case (https://boytharness.com/product/h51-double-long-gun-case-2/). Compares to Pelican. Typically slightly less money. Used for air travel 2 or 3 times a year for 4 years now, no issues.

X2 great case.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 07:33 PM

i have a bag that is designed to fit insde a pelican and i really like it. I can change guns easily.

If you are flying--- Go read your airline of choice luggage size for oversize stuff. The oversize charge can get you pretty bad.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
i have a bag that is designed to fit insde a pelican and i really like it. I can change guns easily.

If you are flying--- Go read your airline of choice luggage size for oversize stuff. The oversize charge can get you pretty bad.

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

Similar to Cleric, with my Boyt I have additional pieces of foam with various cutouts to handle different rifle and/or pistol combos depending on what I'm taking with me.

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
so you can afford 3 flying trips and are worried about cost of gun case confused2

Keep track of your pennies and your dollars take care of themselves... not looking to spend $250 on a gun case that I can get for $210 elsewhere...

As for oversized baggage, my understanding is that sports equipment dosnt get the oversized fee?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 09:56 PM

Cabelas has SKB's and pelicans

5.11 tactical cases are SKB also
Posted By: cblackall

Re: Need a gun case - 01/27/18 10:32 PM

Midway has the Pelican 1750 on sale for $189 right now. Excellent case at a great price. I've been using mine for several years now. Two rifles is doable depending on your setup, but it's going to be tight. [img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/usergals/2018/01/full-59609-135098-img_0634.jpg[/
Here's mine all cut out for the 7-08.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum