Texas Hunting Forum

Muzzle break...smoke

Posted By: Superduty

Muzzle break...smoke - 01/21/18 02:58 PM

I have a 7mm mag Browning a-bolt and have killed well over 15 hogs and deer combined. I have always used BTSP Hornadays. Well this last season when I shot this deer the smoke was blinding. I usually see the deers reaction after impact but this time no way. After I found him and assessed the situation he did a 180 degree turn and went over a barbed wire fence. Guess I spun him around....lol

Either way, I am debating not using a muzzle break anymore, mainly for that purpose. I am a very good shot and do not flinch when shooting my rifle.

Anyone ever run into this? I want to see the impact and be able to watch the deer once hit. I know I could just shoot him in the shoulder and be done with it, but I want as much meat as possible.

Opinions?

Thanks.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/21/18 03:47 PM

A lot of factors go into the smoke. Weather conditions, powder are the two main reasons you would see more smoke one day over the next.

I am a self proclaimed kitty, I don't like recoil....period. So the only reason I'd shoot anything without a brake is because I have a suppressor on it wink

Good luck.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/21/18 04:30 PM

Environmental conditions and powder used caused that, like Judd said.

Wanting to see impact, removing the brake is going to make that more difficult. That's what they're for.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/21/18 06:52 PM

your over thinking

that's my job up
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/21/18 06:57 PM

You're
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/21/18 08:16 PM

You are
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/21/18 08:24 PM

Couldn't residual cleaning solvent left in a brake cause smoke?
Posted By: kry226

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/22/18 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Couldn't residual cleaning solvent left in a brake cause smoke?

Anything is possible, but it had nothing to do with the MB. Its sole purpose in life is to direct those gasses perpendicularly away from the muzzle instead of back towards the shooter. Like was said earlier, without the MB, it likely would have been worse.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/22/18 02:06 PM

I would suspect something with left over cleaning solvent or oil as well. No center fire with smokeless powder I have shot smoked anywhere near that much to blind you.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/22/18 02:43 PM

With the right weather conditions of high humidity, low temps, and a warm gas release from a shot can certainly make a nice cloud. What you are seeing is mainly moisture along with the smoke. Moisture in the form of a cloud. That you can't change.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/22/18 05:48 PM

I noticed last weekend at the bench that all of my rifles were smoking quite a bit. Definitely blamed it on environmental conditions.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Muzzle break...smoke - 01/23/18 04:03 AM

!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum