Texas Hunting Forum

Replacing a Front Sight on a Pistol Question

Posted By: Stub

Replacing a Front Sight on a Pistol Question - 01/12/18 10:36 PM

I have a S&W 40 cal that the front sight came off, it was a white dot and I did not care for it.
Called S&W and they will replace it for free but it will take 4 months.

I do not shoot it much but would like to have a nicer front sight on it, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Replacing a Front Sight on a Pistol Question - 01/12/18 11:19 PM

Where do you live?

Find a shop that will sell it and install for free
Posted By: Loaded

Re: Replacing a Front Sight on a Pistol Question - 01/12/18 11:47 PM

What model S&W is that? Have you looked at how the sight is held in the slide? Since it's not a dovetail, a lot of those types of sights just have a stud with a nut holding it in, so it may be something you could change out yourself.

Re: Replacing a Front Sight on a Pistol Question - 01/13/18 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Loaded
What model S&W is that? Have you looked at how the sight is held in the slide? Since it's not a dovetail, a lot of those types of sights just have a stud with a nut holding it in, so it may be something you could change out yourself.

SW40VE

Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Replacing a Front Sight on a Pistol Question - 01/14/18 12:59 AM

four months to repair/replace a front sight??
Posted By: 9x19

Re: Replacing a Front Sight on a Pistol Question - 01/14/18 02:38 PM

That model line started out as a pretty close copy of Glock (S&W was sued for it), so that front sight cut may be the same as Glock. Their original sights just had a polymer pin that spread the lugs on the bottom of the sight.

Any shop that sells/installs Glock sights probably has a used one you could use to test fit. Don't know where you're located, but if close to McKinney, I have a handful you could have.

Re: Replacing a Front Sight on a Pistol Question - 01/16/18 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: 9x19
That model line started out as a pretty close copy of Glock (S&W was sued for it), so that front sight cut may be the same as Glock. Their original sights just had a polymer pin that spread the lugs on the bottom of the sight.

Any shop that sells/installs Glock sights probably has a used one you could use to test fit. Don't know where you're located, but if close to McKinney, I have a handful you could have.

Thanks will be in McKinney today if you are available? PM sent.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum